Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 11:11 AM

68 posts, read 51,701 times

Advertisements

Seeking some input from people more enlightened than myself.

In the State of Texas, is it considered ethical for a County Judge to actively engage in Real Estate speculation in the same county where said judge holds elected office ?

Let's just say, for conversation's sake, that said County Judge's conduct with regard to real estate speculation, within the county where elected office is held, is entirely legal and of the utmost moral and ethical integrity.

Okay, with that established, let's say, hypothetically of course, that said County Judge purchases the vacant lots adjacent to a dilapidated property you had intended to raze and, with the addition the adjoining vacant lots, build a home to retire to. Due to a utility easement, the lots aren't of any real value except to neighboring property owners, unless you are someone, like say a County Judge for instance, whom has the pull to help coerce the relocation of said utility easement. Upon finding out the lots are suddenly under contract, you visit with said elected official to explain your intentions to build a new home and the fact that without the adjoining lots it will not be feasible to build a new home that meets the present day square footage requirements for new construction in the subdivision. Said County Judge tells you "don't worry about it, the exorbitant costs associated with relocating utilities to make the vacant lots suitable to build on will likely force offer into dissolution" and you will soon be afforded the opportunity to purchase them as planned.
Interestingly enough, after expressing to said County Judge your discontentment with overall situation regarding the adjoining lots, you receive notice from County Tax Appraisal Office of a 70% increase in your tax appraisal. ...I know, just coincidence , right ???
Then several days later, you drive up to the property only to find said County Judge staking a "For Sale by Owner" sign and are notified that he has more than tripled the asking price ... Said lots were valued on tax rolls at $8,500.USD each, now the judge is asking $59,000. for one lot and $39,000. for the other... just curious if the judge's tax appraisals will now be increased proportionately, or only mine ???

...should be of great help with a pending property tax protest, huh ?

Signed,
Now seeking a place other than Johnson County, TX to retire to

Last edited by elnina; 11-09-2019 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 AM

USA Today article, courtesy of a longtime member, showing where Texas ranks nationally on property tax rates:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...st/3697929002/

Now to find an article about where Texas ranks as far as local government corruption with regard to setting property tax valuations and appraisals ...

Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
When it comes to revenue generation anything goes in Texas. Remember our legislators are more interested in generating revenue, not protecting individuals or property.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:39 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
When it comes to revenue generation anything goes in Texas. Remember our legislators are more interested in generating revenue, not protecting individuals or property.
And I suppose you think that's unique to Texas?

Old 05-21-2019, 02:34 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise 11 View Post
Seeking some input from people more enlightened than myself.

In the State of Texas, is it considered ethical for a County Judge to actively engage in Real Estate speculation in the same county where said judge holds elected office ?

Let's just say, for conversation's sake, that said County Judge's conduct with regard to real estate speculation, within the county where elected office is held, is entirely legal and of the utmost moral and ethical integrity.

Okay, with that established, let's say, hypothetically of course, that said County Judge purchases the vacant lots adjacent to a dilapidated property you had intended to raze and, with the addition the adjoining vacant lots, build a home to retire to. Due to a utility easement, the lots aren't of any real value except to neighboring property owners, unless you are someone, like say a County Judge for instance, whom has the pull to help coerce the relocation of said utility easement. Upon finding out the lots are suddenly under contract, you visit with said elected official to explain your intentions to build a new home and the fact that without the adjoining lots it will not be feasible to build a new home that meets the present day square footage requirements for new construction in the subdivision. Said County Judge tells you "don't worry about it, the exorbitant costs associated with relocating utilities to make the vacant lots suitable to build on will likely force offer into dissolution" and you will soon be afforded the opportunity to purchase them as planned.
Interestingly enough, after expressing to said County Judge your discontentment with overall situation regarding the adjoining lots, you receive notice from County Tax Appraisal Office of a 70% increase in your tax appraisal. ...I know, just coincidence , right ???
Then several days later, you drive up to the property only to find said County Judge staking a "For Sale by Owner" sign and are notified that he has more than tripled the asking price ... Said lots were valued on tax rolls at $8,500.USD each, now the judge is asking $59,000. for one lot and $39,000. for the other... just curious if the judge's tax appraisals will now be increased proportionately, or only mine ???

...should be of great help with a pending property tax protest, huh ?

Signed,
Now seeking a place other than Johnson County, TX to retire to
Not quite clear on your details (or lack of) in your post so a little hard to respond. Did you buy the lot recently or have you had it for a while? Did you buy knowing it was too small for the required sq. footage for a home (which I don't get that either, you can always build up to get the footage - 2 story or split level). But if you bought it as a dilapidated property with the intentions of razing it to build a home on you would have known at the time of purchase (I believe it would be in your contract and then in your deed) if there was this certain sq. ft. requirement. If not, you are grandfathered in, so it should make no difference.

Maybe the judge is wanting to acquire your lot now that it has been brought to his attention or maybe nit, who knows?

I believe you have the entire month of May to protest. Make an appointment with the appraisal board and ask them these questions. The taxes on property is public record and you can look them up through the appraisal board's site, but since you need to know if they are increasing the rate on the adjoining lots I guess you'll need to just ask them.

When you go to protest you will speak with independent people (I believe there's 3 maybe 4). The county appraiser will be there as well to answer any questions they need to ask him or her as you explain your situation and answer their questions of you.

Another thing, aren't they only allowed to go up so much in one year? Of course, this might have to do with the tax rate, not the appraisal. I can't remember but I think maybe it is the rate and you need to know why this big hike in your appraisal.

If the current appraised rate is pretty close to what you paid for the lot and it's still in it's dilapidated shape and they jumped the appraised amount up 70%, just tell them fine, you buy it, I'm selling it to you right now.

You also might want to mention to them the ethics concern you have over the utility easement and you've been thinking about contacting the right department to find out more about the situation.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
And I suppose you think that's unique to Texas?
Not a unique tactic, just coat tails to ensure the status quo continues.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Not quite clear on your details (or lack of) in your post so a little hard to respond. Did you buy the lot recently or have you had it for a while?

I have owned the place almost 14 years. I had reached out to owners of adjacent lots several years ago and they did not seem quite ready to sell at that time but told me they would eventually, and I did not push the issue as I was not liquid with a cash offer at that time. Everyone in the neighborhood (judge included, although he now denies having known) knew my intentions and was supportive as I would only build a garage on part of one lot closest to me and expand new construction footprint slightly closer to lot line, allowing the remainder to remain as natural as possible, and none of the neighbors on small cul-de-sac wanted an additional residence built there.

Did you buy knowing it was too small for the required sq. footage for a home (which I don't get that either, you can always build up to get the footage - 2 story or split level). But if you bought it as a dilapidated property with the intentions of razing it to build a home on you would have known at the time of purchase (I believe it would be in your contract and then in your deed) if there was this certain sq. ft. requirement. If not, you are grandfathered in, so it should make no difference.

The square footage requirements were actually changed after my purchase,(which I do not have a problem with) only existing structures are grandfathered, all new construction must meet new minimum. The existing structure is already two-story/split level, it is on a bluff without much buildable area, although not impossible to build a 3rd story, not exactly feasible and could be objectionable to HOA due to line of sight/visibility restrictions. The additional square footage is much more easily achieved by expanding structure footprint closer to lot lines...regardless, I no longer wish to build new structure here without the privacy, nature and garage site afforded by adjacent lots, and paying $98k for the two lots is insanity.

Maybe the judge is wanting to acquire your lot now that it has been brought to his attention or maybe nit, who knows?

More like push me out, or sacrifice me to bolster his price, but as you say, who knows ?

I believe you have the entire month of May to protest. Make an appointment with the appraisal board and ask them these questions. The taxes on property is public record and you can look them up through the appraisal board's site, but since you need to know if they are increasing the rate on the adjoining lots I guess you'll need to just ask them.
When you go to protest you will speak with independent people (I believe there's 3 maybe 4). The county appraiser will be there as well to answer any questions they need to ask him or her as you explain your situation and answer their questions of you.

I have already filed form for tax protest hearing, it is before a "independent" board appointed by ... (drum roll) the County Judge, no conflicts of interest I can see there

Another thing, aren't they only allowed to go up so much in one year? Of course, this might have to do with the tax rate, not the appraisal. I can't remember but I think maybe it is the rate and you need to know why this big hike in your appraisal.

Agreed

If the current appraised rate is pretty close to what you paid for the lot and it's still in it's dilapidated shape and they jumped the appraised amount up 70%, just tell them fine, you buy it, I'm selling it to you right now.

That's what my brother said, unfortunately, I do not believe they will purchase, although I am confident in my case for protest.

You also might want to mention to them the ethics concern you have over the utility easement and you've been thinking about contacting the right department to find out more about the situation.

My primary "ethics concern" involves an elected County Judge purchasing the lots on spec to begin with. I believe it is not out of line to assume he quite possibly had inside knowledge my appraisal would be exorbitantly increased, thus increasing value of adjoining lots, or ???? I fully intend to make mention of the situation at protest hearing, for the record.

I am not certain whom in the State of Texas to complain to about actions of an elected County Judge, but I intend to be heard, if nothing else I will take the Charlie Wilson approach of driving previously disenfranchised voters to polling places and in informing them "that SOB killed my dog" !

Interestingly enough, I was the only one in neighborhood to receive an increase, except one neighbor whom saw a $6.overall increase.

Good luck!

Thank you !

Old 05-22-2019, 07:16 AM

Do note, I could definitely be wrong about seeing potential conflicts of interest involved with an elected County Judge engaging in real estate speculation and potential correlation to tax valuations, but, personally I believe, at a minimum, it smells of corruption.

Alas, if such actions by an elected County Judge are, in fact, legitimate, legal, and free of potential conflicts as I see them, they most definitely are not neighborly, in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 AM

Excerpt from Johnson County website:

Judge states "I am firmly committed to the principles of conservatism in matters concerning management of County business affairs." During the past seventeen years, Johnson County has experienced a population increase from 97,165 to 152,000 making our growth rate one of the highest in the State. This dramatic growth has presented a multitude of challenges, and opportunities for all County offices. "I am very pleased with the manner in which our offices have been able to respond and effectively deal with this rapidly changing environment while at the same time providing our citizens with quality services. I sincerely believe that through our sound planning and conservative management philosophies, Johnson County will continue to be successful in dealing with all future challenges."

What it should it should say is : "This dramatic growth has presented a multitude of opportunities for all those holding elected County office. If you intend to build a new home for retirement and there exists an opportunity for me to throw you and your plans under the bus in favor of my own obscene profits, as County Judge I suggest you go ahead and place a 'bus parking only' sign on your back. Individual property owners mean nothing to me if their plans stand in the way of my financial increase and political malfeasance. If you speak up, I will see to it that you are priced out of your own neighborhood and destroyed with unfounded exorbitant property tax increases that will support the outrageous asking prices I place on lots adjacent to you. " ~ County Judge

Last edited by Paradise 11; 05-24-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Supposed to be "love thy neighbor" , NOT screw thy neighbor !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: