U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2019, 01:14 PM
 
Location: San Angelo, Texas
2 posts, read 807 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello All I am a 36 yo black female moving to San Angelo, Texas in August for work, I was wondering are there any professional meet groups or activities I could find out about to connect with, I have lived all over the world so I am flexible but would love to connect with other professionals in the community, also find out about things to do etc. Thanks in advance for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2019, 05:23 PM
 
59 posts, read 36,127 times
Reputation: 80
I lived in the black hole named Abilene which is about 90 miles north of there so I visited San Angelo often. The city instead is very nice and well kept, low crime and outstanding options for entertainment. The downtown scene is simply superb with literally 50 bars or more down there with live music nightly and plenty of young people to connect with. Also, San Angelo has a major USAF base there and with that comes a lot of different people which also makes San Angelo an exciting place to be. One bad thing about San Angelo is the traffic. The city is growing very very quickly and the traffic situation hasn’t been addressed as quickly as it should be. I advise staying off the major freeways during rush hour because of congestion. Overall I think you’ll like San Angelo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 06:57 PM
 
21,420 posts, read 5,537,712 times
Reputation: 7552
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-MD View Post
Hello All I am a 36 yo black female moving to San Angelo, Texas in August for work, I was wondering are there any professional meet groups or activities I could find out about to connect with, I have lived all over the world so I am flexible but would love to connect with other professionals in the community, also find out about things to do etc. Thanks in advance for your input.
what is your budget,OP?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 10:33 PM
 
2,927 posts, read 4,039,928 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTomo View Post
I lived in the black hole named Abilene which is about 90 miles north of there so I visited San Angelo often. The city instead is very nice and well kept, low crime and outstanding options for entertainment. The downtown scene is simply superb with literally 50 bars or more down there with live music nightly and plenty of young people to connect with. Also, San Angelo has a major USAF base there and with that comes a lot of different people which also makes San Angelo an exciting place to be. One bad thing about San Angelo is the traffic. The city is growing very very quickly and the traffic situation hasn’t been addressed as quickly as it should be. I advise staying off the major freeways during rush hour because of congestion. Overall I think you’ll like San Angelo.
I said to self, "self" San Angelo has freeways? So looked it up, no freeways. HOWEVER, I found this "over the top" should be exciting news for San Angelo, for the next two or three DECADES to come, but something.



https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/ne...19/3211562002/

Look it up, very little growth also, in the last three years, about 8,000 total growth since 2010 to July 1, 2018, the latest guesses, but accurate "guesses" normally. I'm too lazy to cut and paste, but if anyone is interested in the facts, you can google and find, easily enough. But, NO, freeways currently. Bye.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 07:24 AM
 
59 posts, read 36,127 times
Reputation: 80
What do you classify as a freeway? What is the Houston Harte FREEWAY/Expressway then? How about Loop 306? Of course can't leave out Loop 306 north bypass can we? All 3 of these freeways become parking lots at 5pm. The Loop 306 and 277/87 interchange is crazy too. Don't forget the north Loop 306 bypass/277 interchange being a hot spot too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 07:51 AM
 
2,927 posts, read 4,039,928 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTomo View Post
What do you classify as a freeway? What is the Houston Harte FREEWAY/Expressway then? How about Loop 306? Of course can't leave out Loop 306 north bypass can we? All 3 of these freeways become parking lots at 5pm. The Loop 306 and 277/87 interchange is crazy too. Don't forget the north Loop 306 bypass/277 interchange being a hot spot too.
Generally, what is called a freeway by official name, and the vast majority of citizens call a freeway. IMHO, then the loop in Tyler, and South Broadway, much of both are 6 lanes and crowded to the point of often stop and go, and very congested.

Tyler, IMHO, has no freeways, which have signal intersections, on and off ramps, and again, called freeways by name or officially. IMHO

Oh, officially Tyler has traffic counts that are equal to some freeways, in Texas, of course the lower numbers, not comparing Loop 635 in Dallas, to Loop 323 in Tyler. I heard Texdot, refer to numbers here equal to freeway traffic counts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 08:36 AM
 
59 posts, read 36,127 times
Reputation: 80
I live in Tyler and I agree that loop 323 is generally called a freeway but has signal intersections which IMHO does not classify it as a "freeway". When I lived in Abilene for a short period the locals would refer to 83/84/277 south as the "winters freeway" which was 3 lanes in each direction. As hideous as it was, it classifies as a freeway since it had uninterrupted flow of traffic at high speed. The houston harte freeway in San Angelo fits the same classification as above but is not 3 lanes but is being widened currently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top