Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,255,600 times

Advertisements

A number of factors contribute to this. San Antonio is diversifying its economy, to the point where it's no longer just Military City. The city has a lot of land still left to annex, and it's still being developed (San Antonio is ten times the land area of Boston at this point). We're within 50K or so of passing Philly, and will shortly become the 6th largest. I think the biggest factor is the large amount people from Austin moving here from down the road. Other Texas cities don't have that "feeder system" nearby. For two cities so close, the stark contrast in the cost of living is unbelievable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 AM

9,849 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
A number of factors contribute to this. San Antonio is diversifying its economy, to the point where it's no longer just Military City. The city has a lot of land still left to annex, and it's still being developed (San Antonio is ten times the land area of Boston at this point). We're within 50K or so of passing Philly, and will shortly become the 6th largest. I think the biggest factor is the large amount people from Austin moving here from down the road. Other Texas cities don't have that "feeder system" nearby. For two cities so close, the stark contrast in the cost of living is unbelievable

They’re creeping closer together. I rented a place off Wurzbach and Callaghan in 2025 and paid $685. I just checked their website and the same unit is now $810. Now, to be fair, the same unit in Austin would probably be like $1100, but it’s going up. And the traffic between the two has gotten much heavier. There is usually always traffic on 45 in San Marcos and the traffic in New Braunfels is a lot heavier in general. Not to mention the traffic into Austin now starts in Kyle during rush hour instead of the onion creek area like it used to.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:37 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
In 2017 San Antonio grew by about 20,000 and last year Houston only grew by about 8,000. What so great about San Antonio? I doubt most Americans have ever heard of San Antonio, so why are they moving there? What's so much better about San Antonio than Houston or Dallas or Austin? Ive read the entire state is seeing a slowdown, and that's apparent with cities like Houston. I'm aware some had to evacuate Houston and probably won't return, but everyone who was leaving Houston for that reason has already done so.

Here's an article that brags how San Antonio will surpass Philadelphia to become the 6th largest city by 2021. But it even goes on to say that's only accounting for Philly's current population which was been increasing. San Antonio's population is slowing somewhat, just not as drastically as Houston.

San Antonio poised to become nation's 6th largest city by 2021 - CultureMap San Antonio
This is a troll post, don't feed the trolls.

"I doubt most Americans have ever heard of San Antonio"

Really? Where are YOU from?

Old 08-02-2019, 12:27 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Yeah, that was a really stupid thing of him to say.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:47 PM

570 posts, read 559,707 times
Lots of things why San Antonio is growing. Jobs, col, near scenic areas. The metro gained nearly 44,000 new residents between July 2017 - July 2018 and have no doubt it grew another 44,000 this year. Imo San Antonio is an underrated city. There is so much to see and do from themeparks to the historic sites. I would also like to point out that it is the most visited city in Texas with over 30 million visitors each year.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:51 PM

949 posts, read 572,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Plenty of people cannot read a map or could pass a simple geography exam
asking to locate places on a map.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:19 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Plenty of people cannot read a map or could pass a simple geography exam
asking to locate places on a map.
Thats true, most Texans think my home state of Idaho is in the midwest...

That said, everyone knows about San Antonio Texas even if they don't know anything about it.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:57 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times
If you live in Texas, and don't know about San Antonio, you should be ashamed of yourself. San Antonio is making a name for itself among the Texas giants: Houston and Dallas

Old 08-03-2019, 09:52 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
I talk to people from all over the country and a surprising amount of people have never heard of San Antonio. Not once. They can't even guess what state it's in. California? Arizona? Not sure why people are being so harsh on OP. You gotta be careful who you might offend I guess.

Personally... I am perfectly fine with these Yankees having no clue how to get here...

Old 08-03-2019, 02:25 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I talk to people from all over the country and a surprising amount of people have never heard of San Antonio. Not once. They can't even guess what state it's in. California? Arizona? Not sure why people are being so harsh on OP. You gotta be careful who you might offend I guess.

Personally... I am perfectly fine with these Yankees having no clue how to get here...
I'm sure it isn't even close to a majority of people though. Any city big enough to have professional sports is a city that the vast majority of people will know about.

How do you define "Yankees?" Calling everyone not from the south "Yankees" is one of the stupidest thing that some people do. Yankees are the North East. MAYYYBE the great lakes region of the Midwest. The west, California, most of the midwest, upper south etc are not Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas