Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 12,842 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to a small town in southeast Texas. Any and all input is appreciated. We are looking for a small ranch in a small rural town. Husband does commercial/industrial electrical work, and I am in the insurance industry. We thought we liked Vidor...but then have heard some bad things about that area? I also think living outside Beaumont would be nice. I've been through most of these areas...but want more infor on life there!!! We currently live in Virginia (hate the weather here!!!). Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 PM

107 posts, read 567,373 times
I used to work with a man who was from Vidor, and he was the biggest bigot I've ever met. And he was proud to say that the majority of his family and friends in Vidor are the same way. I can't say that I have first-hand experience with the town itself, but if the place has a reputation like that, there's got to be at least some truth to it.

I don't know much about the small towns in that area, but you might want to check out Beaumont, and perhaps Port Arthur. (Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in.)

Old 12-21-2006, 11:13 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,272,405 times
I was born in Port Arthur and raised in Orange. Beaumont is a decent town but I don't think I'd want to live there. Most of the "Golden Triangle" is really run-down and backwards. I would look elsewhere if I were you.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 AM

447 posts, read 1,581,789 times
Yeah I have heard about both Vidor and Orange. If you are a minority you will probably not like living in an enviroment that is Vidor or Orange. They do have bigots there but you can find bigots pretty much anywhere, but there thinking there does tend to be backwards.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,776,017 times
I agree with the PPs. I'd avoid all that "golden triangle" area. Instead, look at the smaller towns to the west and southwest of Houston (not to the north/northeast).

Old 12-24-2006, 11:58 AM

61 posts, read 350,420 times
Anything within 100 mile radius of Houston will be a suburb in the next 5 to 10 years. But I recommend you stay away from I-10 and generally head north. Say NE of Lufkin to the Sabine River or as JJP says ... I would go way way way way past SW of Houston, probably around Chorpus

Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 12,842 times
Thanks for the input. My husband and I grew up in small rural areas of Virginia and West Virginia....there is a lack of any minority group whatsoever in the areas we were raised....but there was not generally a hatred towards minorities...We encountered some....but it just wasn't generally an issue. We just don't want to raise our kids around a large amount of ignorance and hate...but we do love small town life!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 AM

15,234 posts, read 35,417,009 times
I would recommend looking further north of Beaumont, if you like the piney woods type area. Some of the smaller towns up there are quite nice and, although not exactly progressive, they are generally far ahead of the golden triangle.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,264 times
Thumbs up South East Texas is looking for you!!

I want to help your husband with a job! Our company has a client in the Beaumont area that is looking for a Journeyman Electrician with 5+ years. Lots of work availabe in the commercial field. Please fax wage info hourly along with a resume at 713-686-9710. If you have additional questions feel free to call our office at 713-686-9700 ASAP

Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 28,361 times
I am from Vidor/Beaumont, and now live in Port Neches. I am aching to move to Houston. Since the hurricanes, rent has skyrocketed (I am paying $750 for a 1 bedroom in PORT NECHES!) and crime rate is going up.

I'd rather be in Houston.

edit: Vidor is not as bad as people say it is racially. The big problem with Vidor now is meth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas