U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 03:05 PM

7 posts, read 5,325 times

Advertisements

Next summer I'm looking to move to Texas from Pittsburgh and I've narrowed it down to either Dallas or Houston. I've spent some time in both for work, however I'll need to to visit again before actually moving. I didn't get to explore much.

They both have things I do and don't like. Houston I really like that's it's closer to the coast and beaches, but in Dallas I like the weather a bit more and I like that the economy's focus isn't as large on just energy.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some opinions to help me decide which would be better for me.

A bit about me: 24 year old single young professional, I work in finance in the healthcare industry. It'll just be my dog and I moving, and I don't have any family or friends in either city. Some of my interests and hobbies include running, hiking, swimming, poker, live music, sports (MLB and NFL), and maybe one or two other things I'm forgetting.

1. Is there even that big of a difference in COL between the two cities? It seems ~$1,500 in either city will get you a decent 1BR close to or in the popular areas.

2. This is probably hard to answer, but what city has a better social scene (nightlife, dating, things to do)? Does one city have more transplants than the other?

3. Are there any lakes or swimming holes near Dallas?

4. Which city enjoys their sports more? I know both cities have professional teams for almost all sports, but is it bigger in one city or the other? I imagine being a Giants fan in Dallas would be rough, but fun nevertheless.

5. Is public transit viable in either city? I haven't seen anything saying it's great so I'll probably keep my car either way but would prefer public transit more often than not.

6. What's your personal preference? Why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 03:22 PM

1,062 posts, read 557,832 times
I'm honestly surprised anyone would move from Pittsburgh to Houston or Dallas. Pittsburgh has been getting good press lately for having high quality of life. Both Dallas and Houston are terrible for QOL.

There aren't really swimming holes, public transit is better in Dallas, cost of living is the same in good areas of both cities, dating sucks and everyone knows it, both cities are huge sprawls, and there is virtually no hiking to be done. I have no idea what could possibly be motivating you to leave Pittsburgh unless you're unemployed there

Old 08-08-2019, 03:54 PM

7 posts, read 5,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
I'm honestly surprised anyone would move from Pittsburgh to Houston or Dallas. Pittsburgh has been getting good press lately for having high quality of life. Both Dallas and Houston are terrible for QOL.

There aren't really swimming holes, public transit is better in Dallas, cost of living is the same in good areas of both cities, dating sucks and everyone knows it, both cities are huge sprawls, and there is virtually no hiking to be done. I have no idea what could possibly be motivating you to leave Pittsburgh unless you're unemployed there
It's not a terrible city by any means, but I don't think it's as great as people make it out to be. The weather is terrible (grey skies from November - April, and cloudy and humid almost all summer), high taxes, bad air/water quality, below national average wages, the city is very insular, the cost of living isn't as great as people think, etc..

I've been here a year and a half and I'm ready to leave, just not for me.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,945,699 times
Default Houston and Dallas both nice places

They both are too hot in the summer so that is a draw. Houston is more. affordable
Houston has milder winters and has much more beautiful days from October to May. Houston has more days that are tolerable outdoors in short sleeves than Dallas does if you count winter time. The North Dallas Suburbs are quite cold in the winter time.
Houston also has the Gulf of Mexico Beaches!! yahoo!! and Bays that give it the advantage of being a coastal more tropical city. I love driving down NASA Road 1 from the I-45 to Kemah. It feels like your in Florida somewhere. Then there is Galveston Island. Wow what a standout. I love walking down the seawall and watching the waves crash on the beach. They even have concerts right on the beach and plenty of surfing so hang 10 man its a true tropical island paradise. We should post photos of the beautiful tropical scenery in the Houston area with Palm Trees, natural Water features and tropical plants it really is beautiful and refreshing. The water in Galveston seems to be getting cleaner every year. The last time I went it was a beautiful deep blue color that would really entice you to take a dip and catch the waves, grab a beer or play volley ball. Oh and Houston stays green all year long. That makes a big difference. The grass is even green in the summer time.
Houston has the Miller outdoor Theater. Miller and Hermann Park are World Class hands down. The Texas Medical Center is the Largest in the world, Houston has an international port. Houston has 90 Foreign consulates compared to Dallas 31.

Dallas is a nice place too. IT has lots of fun stuff to do. IT even has a Six Flags Amusement Park. I figured out that Dallas is easier to keep clean looking due to having much less vegetation growth to maintain. The grass goes dormant and turns brown in the Summer. Dallas seems to focus more on the physical environment. I noticed that they seem to make the streets and intersections look more aesthetic, The intersection lights are mounted to poles instead of hanging from cables like in Houston. The streets seem wider and the strip malls usually have grass green belts setting them back from the street. This gives a more open-airy feeling. Dallas feels like a smaller place than Houston. If you are used to Houston and then drive around Dallas you will really notice the difference. In Dallas it feels like part of the City is Missing.
I liked the West Plano area around Legacy West. The neighborhoods are so well kept and tidy. I noticed a similar feel in most of the North Dallas Suburbs. Frisco was nice

the further you go north it turns into the great plains prairie lands and you see cows and buffalo grazing on the prairie.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:30 PM

3,160 posts, read 1,199,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post

Ive lived in Dallas and I currently live in Houston and the QOL in both cities has been great to me. Both offer a lot to the resident in the way of culture, culinary scene, nightlife, diversity, and low COL.

To the OP, answers to your questions below:

1) COL is similar but Houston is a bit cheaper than Dallas.

2) Both cities arent too far apart, but it depends on what youre interested in. The only difference that Ive really been able to ascertain is that African Americans seem to prefer Houston's scene while LGBT (especially gay men) seem to prefer Dallas. Houston is more laid back than Dallas is and the later is more fashion forward/image conscious. Dallas has a lot more domestic out of state transplants than Houston. Houston has more people from other countries.

3) Not really much in the way of swimming holes in the cities, but White Rock Lake in Dallas is really nice. Houston has more urban green space in the way of Memorial Park and George Bush Park. Outside of town, you have the gulf and some lakes too.

4) In my opinion Dallas is a better sports city, but people in Houston do love their teams.

5) Public transit is much better in Dallas IMO because of their rail. Houston is trying to catch up, but its hard to use.

6) My personal preference is Houston but not by a wide margin. Its more laid back and international and the culinary scene is better. Dallas has it ups too and I loved living there as well. Dallas has better shopping and public transportation. I did like the nightlife more in Dallas for partying, but Im older and travel every week for work now. Because of that, I dont care so much about it.

You should look into Fort Worth. Right next door to Dallas but much more laid back and the most unique city in Texas IMO.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:35 AM

7,205 posts, read 18,941,769 times
Houston is HUMID!! Yuck!

Old 08-09-2019, 12:25 PM

2,927 posts, read 4,043,844 times
In Dallas you just BURN and BAKE. Lower humidity HIGHER temperatures, you are still very uncomfortable at times, in either. I still prefer the humidity, just IMHO. I've been in San Antonio and Fort Worth, just NEXT to Dallas, and have felt that DRY heat, of 105 IN THE SHADE, not in the sun, sting my arms, like a bad needle prick. However, again, there was very little humidity, but 105, IN THE SHADE.

Just for the heck of it, I placed a reliable thermometer, one afternoon, between 4:00 and 4:00 in a grassy area, completely away from concrete, asphalt, metal, bricks, repeat, on a grassy lawn, the temps reached 126. No wonder, people get tans, they are cooking themselves, gee. I did this little experiment because I had just heard saw, on t.v. the temps could reach, what, 150-160 on asphalt. Sure, we have all seen the frying of eggs on concrete or asphalt. Saying all this to point out, it's uncomfortable in either city in summer, just pick your poison, as they used to say. lol

Old 08-09-2019, 12:27 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,652,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Houston is HUMID!! Yuck!
Is that a quote from a Shakespearean sonnet ?

Old 08-09-2019, 02:53 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,945,699 times
Default Weather

Don't forget that Dallas gets pretty cold in the Winter time. Meanwhile some of Houston's most beautiful days are in the Winter Time. They both have unbearably hot weather in the summer time. Sure Houston's weather is more humid in the summer but Dallas is not exactly dry either. They are both uncomfortable.
Now putting aside the summer weather Houston has much better weather the rest of the year. I think this point gets overlooked a lot when comparing the 2 places. People focus too much on the miserable summers in BOTH PLACES which arguably lasts about 4-5 months the other 7 months though go to Houston for sure especially November to March. I've seen snow in Dallas during the month of March meanwhile they are having spring break on Galveston Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
In Dallas you just BURN and BAKE. Lower humidity HIGHER temperatures, you are still very uncomfortable at times, in either. I still prefer the humidity, just IMHO. I've been in San Antonio and Fort Worth, just NEXT to Dallas, and have felt that DRY heat, of 105 IN THE SHADE, not in the sun, sting my arms, like a bad needle prick. However, again, there was very little humidity, but 105, IN THE SHADE.

Just for the heck of it, I placed a reliable thermometer, one afternoon, between 4:00 and 4:00 in a grassy area, completely away from concrete, asphalt, metal, bricks, repeat, on a grassy lawn, the temps reached 126. No wonder, people get tans, they are cooking themselves, gee. I did this little experiment because I had just heard saw, on t.v. the temps could reach, what, 150-160 on asphalt. Sure, we have all seen the frying of eggs on concrete or asphalt. Saying all this to point out, it's uncomfortable in either city in summer, just pick your poison, as they used to say. lol

Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM

1,062 posts, read 557,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callan06 View Post
It's not a terrible city by any means, but I don't think it's as great as people make it out to be. The weather is terrible (grey skies from November - April, and cloudy and humid almost all summer), high taxes, bad air/water quality, below national average wages, the city is very insular, the cost of living isn't as great as people think, etc..

I've been here a year and a half and I'm ready to leave, just not for me.
Houston is also grey for most of fall, winter, and spring. Dallas is a bit better. I'm not sure where people get this impression that it's sunny everwhere in Texas-- Western movies maybe? And then in the summer it's literally too hot to be outside. We're currently experiencing several weeks of 100F in Austin. Houston is just as hot but more humid. Since you like outdoors activities, you are going to be losing a lot moving to either city, or even Austin.

Texas as a whole is insular, and people who were born here generally think this is the best place on earth despite not having experiences living elsewhere. The cost of living is also high in Dallas and Houston especially once you factor in the high property tax and car insurance (due to high number of uninsured drivers). Pay raises are also not much of a thing here, and my friends who have lived in other states have also noticed this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or