Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 04:26 PM

6,623 posts, read 9,842,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
And we’re back to the Dallas/Houston pissing match that I knew this thread would turn into.
Pretty much. 😭

It’s certainly petty

Old 09-13-2019, 04:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,933,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Hate to break it to you Chris Paul is in OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
And we’re back to the Dallas/Houston pissing match that I knew this thread would turn into.
Everyone knew. We got to get it out of our system every once in a while. Like a sibling rivalry. I don't see anything bad or negative either.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:30 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,560,577 times
Quote:
Hate to break it to you Chris Paul is in OKC.
That was pretty obvious this summer when Rockets got Westbrook. I clearly mentioned his name in reference to his State Farm commercials. Even Rockets mascot Clutch became semi famous for those commercials. HA

Old 09-13-2019, 04:39 PM

355 posts, read 464,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You just missed my point. I never said that the Mavs is a very popular sports franchise at a national level. I’m saying the Rockets and the Mavs are only mostly relevant within their market. Period. The Mavs are popular enough (within their market) in Dallas to have sold out every home game since 2001. The Rockets do not have Lakers-type popularity within Texas....neither does the Mavs. That why I said I’ve never seen a Rockets fan that’s not from Houston. If the Rockets are that much more popular, they should have a larger following outside of their market. Especially, within the same state.
I can agree with this, but the Rockets have the leverage to demand a premium on ticket pricing because of Hardin and Westbrook. So to say that the Mavs have sold out on their home games is just surface-level knowledge.

We need to look into the details as to how much revenue each market is getting from their respective fan base, tickets, and overall brand impact.

With regards to downtown and all the stadium centrally located in Downtown Houston, it's arguable on how impactful that will be in the long haul, tbh.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:19 PM

19,519 posts, read 17,753,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
That was pretty obvious this summer when Rockets got Westbrook. I clearly mentioned his name in reference to his State Farm commercials. Even Rockets mascot Clutch became semi famous for those commercials. HA
I know I was joking with you.

On the sports thing generally Dallas is a better pro sports town with all four big pro sports. With the Rangers moving into a new barn with AC they'll be better able to sign players, hopefully anyway.

Team values and achievements

1. Cowboys $5 billion - 5 Super Bowl wins, 35 playoff wins
2. Rangers $1.64 billion - 0 World Series wins
3. Mavs $ 2.3 billion - 1 Championship
4. Stars $525 million - 1 Stanley Cup

7 total championships.....

1. Texans $2.8 billion - 0 Super Bowl wins, 3 playoff game wins
1.1 Houston Oilers - 0 Super Bowl wins, 15 playoff game wins
2. Astros $1.775 billon - 1 World Series win
3. Rockets $2.3 billion - 2 Championships
4. No NHL team - $0

3 total championships.....

Old 09-13-2019, 05:53 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,560,577 times
Quote:
I know I was joking with you.

On the sports thing generally Dallas is a better pro sports town with all four big pro sports. With the Rangers moving into a new barn with AC they'll be better able to sign players, hopefully anyway.

Team values and achievements

1. Cowboys $5 billion - 5 Super Bowl wins, 35 playoff wins
2. Rangers $1.64 billion - 0 World Series wins
3. Mavs $ 2.3 billion - 1 Championship
4. Stars $525 million - 1 Stanley Cup

7 total championships.....

1. Texans $2.8 billion - 0 Super Bowl wins, 3 playoff game wins
1.1 Houston Oilers - 0 Super Bowl wins, 15 playoff game wins
2. Astros $1.775 billon - 1 World Series win
3. Rockets $2.3 billion - 2 Championships
4. No NHL team - $0

3 total championships.....
So we're just going to ignore Houston Comets 4 championships? Houston Dynamo 2 MLS Cup trophies? I know Comets are no longer in business but they were a professional sports team. Dynamo are a professional soccer team.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,053,874 times
Quote:
So we're just going to ignore Houston Comets 4 championships? Houston Dynamo 2 MLS Cup trophies? I know Comets are no longer in business but they were a professional sports team. Dynamo are a professional soccer team.

Yes, because.....who cares!?

Old 09-13-2019, 06:12 PM

19,519 posts, read 17,753,685 times
Quote:
Yes.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,053,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
"Better culture" = how sway? Lol Houston is the most diverse metro in the country. Has more museums, more performing arts, and most people agree the people are friendlier and more cosmopolitan. But I'm happy to hear your counterargument.

Better sports franchises = maybe if we're only talking about the Cowboys, who are miles better than the Texans in every way. But the Rockets have more NBA titles, wins, Hall of Famers, and are a historically far better franchise than the Mavs. The Astros are one of the best franchises and baseball and have won a World Series, unlike the Rangers. Hell even the Dynamo have won two MLS Cups to none for FC Dallas.

On top of all that, all of Houston's stadiums are modern and centralized in the city. You can walk between Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, and BBVA Compass and take rail to NRG Stadium. Three of Dallas four major league stadiums aren't even in the city, instead being sprawled across random burbs. The only real advantage Dallas has is there is hockey. So please explain how there are better sports franchises in DFW.

More population = cool!

NASCAR = true and also cool - not my thing but that's definitely an advantage for sure

Mucho mucho mucho larger airport = ehhhh, kind of but not really. DFW is a bigger airport with more domestic destinations, but most of the additional destinations are served by American Eagle (read: small commuter planes). Any major US destination is served from IAH as well (and though I'm not a fan of United, they are a little better than American imo). Additionally, IAH has more airlines serving it, more foreign destinations, and more international traffic, and that's not even including HOU which, in fact, also serves international traffic. There are only five metro areas in the US with more than one international airport (NYC, LA, South Florida, DC, and Houston). IAH will also become one of only a few airports in the world with nonstop service to all six inhabited continents when Ethiopian Airlines starts service to Houston this winter. DFW is a great airport too, but IAH has some strengths that DFW does not.

And with respect to the TMC, no the medical districts in Dallas and Ft. Worth aren't comparable. The TMC has some of the best hospitals in the world, especially when it comes to specialized things like cancer research/treatment and biomedical work. People come from across the globe to get treated there. The area is essentially the same size as downtown Dallas. Dallas and Ft. Worth do have great regional hospitals that serve the local population well, but we're talking apples and oranges here.

Yes, DFW has better culture. Houston has high humidity, mold & mildew, and a crapload of mosquitos.
On sports, you are way off. Cowboys rule. Rangers went twice. Mavs went twice and have a title. Stars, you have no NHL, you have no Nascar. Byron Nelson and Colonial are far better than the Houston Open.
TCU/SMU>Houston/Rice

Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,933,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yes, because.....who cares!?
Quote:
Yes.
Because if we did it'd be Houston 9, DFW 7. But I won't count the Comets since they don't exist, so really Htown 5, DFW 7.

The WNBA is one thing DFW has that Houston doesn't anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas