Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:53 AM

36 posts, read 35,932 times

Advertisements

What? Here's the opening 2 sentences on Stephenville Texas in Wikipedia: "Stephenville is a city in and the county seat of Erath County, Texas, United States. Owned by the Winged Outlaws Motorcycle Club." Am I reading this correctly? The city is owned by this club? Is that possible? So I looked up this club. Their motto is “God Forgives, Outlaws Don’t”. Lovely. Anyway, I just got over 3 weeks of bronchitis & plan on leaving the D/FW area because of the air quality. I get bronchitis every summer here. But my wife has family here so we're looking about 50 miles out in every direction. Stephenville is on the list because I've spent a day riding my own motorcycle around it with friends a few years ago. Lots of smaller towns in the area are also on my radar. Possibly Weatherford but no closer. But, I'd like to get your interpretation of Wiki's article. Thx. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephenville,_Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 08:16 AM

15,244 posts, read 35,496,057 times
No, it is not 'owned' by a motorcycle club, someone was likely being a dip-**** in Wiki.

There are a lot of cattle in the area - iirc, there are a lot of cattle (esp. calf) operations in the area, so check out the air quality carefully for any particular location.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:30 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,285,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbalou60 View Post
What? Here's the opening 2 sentences on Stephenville Texas in Wikipedia: "Stephenville is a city in and the county seat of Erath County, Texas, United States. Owned by the Winged Outlaws Motorcycle Club." Am I reading this correctly? The city is owned by this club? Is that possible? So I looked up this club. Their motto is “God Forgives, Outlaws Don’t”. Lovely. Anyway, I just got over 3 weeks of bronchitis & plan on leaving the D/FW area because of the air quality. I get bronchitis every summer here. But my wife has family here so we're looking about 50 miles out in every direction. Stephenville is on the list because I've spent a day riding my own motorcycle around it with friends a few years ago. Lots of smaller towns in the area are also on my radar. Possibly Weatherford but no closer. But, I'd like to get your interpretation of Wiki's article. Thx. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephenville,_Texas
Its not owned by the Winged outlaws.I bet someone just edited it to say that.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,146,997 times
You do understand that Wikipedia isn’t “real”, right? Anyone can contribute/edit.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:27 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,399,126 times
Default They are not Motorcycle Clubs

They are not Motorcycle Clubs. They are "Biker Gangs". Yes a Biker Gang.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,234,192 times
LOL anybody can edit a wikipedia article. ANYBODY.

For a fun exercise, wait until later this college football season when some big name coaches are on the hot seat and start to lose their jobs. Then go to wikipedia and read some of the creativity on the 'edited' articles on the fired coaches. But you have to hurry because Wikipedia does have a system to find and clean up trash editing.

Seriously this is common knowledge. Wikipedia is phenomenal for general knowledge, but you really need to back up anything you read on there with some actual research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing

Quote:
Wikipedia is a wiki, meaning anyone can edit any unprotected page and improve articles immediately. You do not need to register to do this, and anyone who has edited is known as a Wikipedian or editor. Small edits add up, and every editor can be proud to have made Wikipedia better for all.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:21 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,184,845 times
When I was a college librarian, one of the first things I told students was to not cite Wikipedia in their college work because it’s not an authoritative source. I also cautioned them to turn to it for legal or medical advice.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,229,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
When I was a college librarian, one of the first things I told students was to not cite Wikipedia in their college work because it’s not an authoritative source. I also cautioned them to turn to it for legal or medical advice.
That said, Wikipedia is very good at self-correcting.

Wikipedia is much more accurate than most Textbooks, every single history textbook, for example, is full of numerous errors, not just opinions, but actual facts... stuff like Dates.

I was asked to add some stuff to a Wikipedia page about a company I interned at, and 90% of what I wrote was removed within 48 hours as promotional.

Don't cite wikipedia...don't cite textbooks or encyclopedias either. Wikipedia is great for getting to original sources and despite the occasional vandalism, it remains a surprisingly good place to learn about stuff.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM

15,244 posts, read 35,496,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
[...]Wikipedia is great for getting to original sources and despite the occasional vandalism, it remains a surprisingly good place to learn about stuff.
^^this

Old 10-03-2019, 04:01 PM

36 posts, read 35,932 times
Good to know. Thanks for the input everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas