Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 6,980 times

Advertisements

Good morning! My husband accepted a job offer at TAMU and we are moving from crowded, over priced San Diego, CA. in January. Has anyone else moved from here to there and how do you like it?
We are actually going to be renting a duplex in Bryan. My husband usually rides a motorcycle to and from work here, only a 5 minute commute and on one main road. Anything you can give a heads up on as far as him riding his motorcycle from Bryan to CS Mon-thru Friday (work shift is 8am-5pm). I know you get more weather than we do here, including hail. How are auto drivers towards motorcyclists?

Thank you in advance for any input, suggestions and your personal experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 01:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,056,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi McDermott View Post
Good morning! My husband accepted a job offer at TAMU and we are moving from crowded, over priced San Diego, CA. in January. Has anyone else moved from here to there and how do you like it?
We are actually going to be renting a duplex in Bryan. My husband usually rides a motorcycle to and from work here, only a 5 minute commute and on one main road. Anything you can give a heads up on as far as him riding his motorcycle from Bryan to CS Mon-thru Friday (work shift is 8am-5pm). I know you get more weather than we do here, including hail. How are auto drivers towards motorcyclists?

Thank you in advance for any input, suggestions and your personal experience.

North county resident here, lived in Texas 20 years.

You will like it so long as you don't expect San Diego, ever. The weather is more extreme both in summer and winter. You have to embrace Texas culture and enjoy those things. Beaches are not great, but can be fun to explore anyway. They are better south toward South Padre and east to Alabama & Florida.

I would not recommend a motorcycle solely because there will be days you cannot ride. Motorcycle culture is big in Texas as well, but different. Motorcycles here in SD are out of control, don't try lane sharing and zipping between traffic (although there won't be much). Traffic in general is much slower even in the larger cities, operate more like a car in terms of traffic flow.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:11 PM

364 posts, read 1,415,517 times
Welcome to Aggieland!!!

I never lived in CA, but spent a week on Coronado this past summer. What a beautiful place to visit! Middle of July weather was in the mid 70's! Incredible! I had a great time.

My wife works on campus at TAMU. I've had a motorcycle, but sold it due to not riding it much. Summers here are long, hot and humid. Winters are much nicer. We have had three straight days of low 40's to low 70's weather (yeah, I know, it isn't winter right now, but close enough). We usually get some rain once a week or so. Nothing heavy, but still. Many college students ride motorcycles, so they are generally tolerated. As mentioned above, do not lane split. It is illegal in TX.

We love the college atmosphere. It is young and vibrant. Also, as mentioned above, do not expect to find California here. It just isn't. The pace and the people are a little slower. Yes, the COL is lower. Houses are more reasonable. Just about everything is more reasonable. Don't worry about hail. We haven't had anything larger than pea sized hail in the last 3 or 4 years. Same with tornadoes. Not really an issue.

You are smart to rent first. Get the feel for the area and look at your leisure. Again, welcome. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Sounds like a major culture shock

Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,011,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Sounds like a major culture shock
I second that. Such completely different worlds. Nothing against either location, but they bear no resemblance, and if you like one, you might not like the other.

At least it shouldn't be crowded or overpriced. But a visit / reality check should be in order, before any big move like that.

Cultural differences can be huge, and need be factored in. And then there's the whole population size difference, 1.3M vs. 85k. I've done extreme changes like that, and it can suck when you downsize and there are only a fraction of the amenities and perks of the prior metropolis. Things can get/feel rather backwards and backwoods.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-05-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 12-08-2019, 10:42 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,056,037 times
It makes no difference. The differences are obvious, I doubt they haven’t considered that. Change can be welcome even if short lived.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTX View Post
Welcome to Aggieland!!!

I never lived in CA, but spent a week on Coronado this past summer. What a beautiful place to visit! Middle of July weather was in the mid 70's! Incredible! I had a great time.

My wife works on campus at TAMU. I've had a motorcycle, but sold it due to not riding it much. Summers here are long, hot and humid. Winters are much nicer. We have had three straight days of low 40's to low 70's weather (yeah, I know, it isn't winter right now, but close enough). We usually get some rain once a week or so. Nothing heavy, but still. Many college students ride motorcycles, so they are generally tolerated. As mentioned above, do not lane split. It is illegal in TX.

We love the college atmosphere. It is young and vibrant. Also, as mentioned above, do not expect to find California here. It just isn't. The pace and the people are a little slower. Yes, the COL is lower. Houses are more reasonable. Just about everything is more reasonable. Don't worry about hail. We haven't had anything larger than pea sized hail in the last 3 or 4 years. Same with tornadoes. Not really an issue.

You are smart to rent first. Get the feel for the area and look at your leisure. Again, welcome. Let me know if I can be of any more help.
I never got any alerts that I received feedback. I just came across this forum though in my history. So I apologize I am just now seeing it. We've been here since January 8th! LOL! So far we love it! Glad we got out of San Diego before the world shut down. ;/ Would rather be here than there during this.
The humidity (yes,...its not even summer and I feel the humidity!) Haha! Trying not to complain tho because I know I'm in store for much worse.
Our duplex is so so. Cant complain at all about the rent, the yard is not what we were hoping for our two min pins. It was a mess when we moved in. Thought the owners would have cleaned it up a bit before we moved in,...we had to hire a company to come and mow (clover,...there isn't any grass) and haul the massive piles of leaves and the previous tenants big dog doo doo (sorry for TMI but yeah gross!!) Also we found out there is no insulation whatsoever in the roof so our heater runs a lot when its cold and the a/c when its hot.
The people are so friendly and welcoming here. Amazing restaurants!! Love all the parks and nature walks. My husband loves his job! And he has taken his motorcycle so far most days to work. Except the days when the forecast was clear but you wake up to downpour of rain and chance of tornado. LOL!! I have loved the sudden storms, as they have not interfered with my days yet, as I am mostly at home. I love the bloom right now. Its just beautiful. I have often taken the dogs and just drove for an hour to an hour and a half exploring.
Very happy we made the move. We are looking to buy a home, this will be a first for us. Only way we could ever afford to buy was getting out of San Diego!
I know the summer will be challenging for me! But we did live in Palm Desert for 20 years before San Diego, so we know 100+ degrees summers, just not 100+ humidity for days weeks and months at a time! (Yikes)
Well thanks again for the feedback and sorry I just now saw it.
Heidi

Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 AM

Default Sorry for the delay! Didnt see any feedback until today!

I never got any alerts that I received feedback. I just came across this forum though in my history. So I apologize I am just now seeing it. We've been here since January 8th! LOL! So far we love it! Glad we got out of San Diego before the world shut down. ;/ Would rather be here than there during this.
The humidity (yes,...its not even summer and I feel the humidity!) Haha! Trying not to complain tho because I know I'm in store for much worse.
Our duplex is so so. Cant complain at all about the rent, the yard is not what we were hoping for our two min pins. It was a mess when we moved in. Thought the owners would have cleaned it up a bit before we moved in,...we had to hire a company to come and mow (clover,...there isn't any grass) and haul the massive piles of leaves and the previous tenants big dog doo doo (sorry for TMI but yeah gross!!) Also we found out there is no insulation whatsoever in the roof so our heater runs a lot when its cold and the a/c when its hot.
The people are so friendly and welcoming here. Amazing restaurants!! Love all the parks and nature walks. My husband loves his job! And he has taken his motorcycle so far most days to work. Except the days when the forecast was clear but you wake up to downpour of rain and chance of tornado. LOL!! I have loved the sudden storms, as they have not interfered with my days yet, as I am mostly at home. I love the bloom right now. Its just beautiful. I have often taken the dogs and just drove for an hour to an hour and a half exploring.
Very happy we made the move. We are looking to buy a home, this will be a first for us. Only way we could ever afford to buy was getting out of San Diego!
I know the summer will be challenging for me! But we did live in Palm Desert for 20 years before San Diego, so we know 100+ degrees summers, just not 100+ humidity for days weeks and months at a time! (Yikes)
Well thanks again for the feedback and sorry I just now saw it.
Heidi

Old 05-11-2020, 02:17 PM

364 posts, read 1,415,517 times
No worries. I'm glad you made it. Sorry that your duplex is a mess. I hope you find a house you like soon. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:28 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,857,222 times
Please understand that a large part of the rental market there is targeted toward students, and maintaining things to adult standards of upkeep may not be a priority for many landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas