U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 11:45 PM

21,496 posts, read 5,544,915 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking for info on the social scene in San Angelo.I live in Midland.My family is considering moving to the Austin suburbs and I am trying to decide on places that would be close to them but still have a good social scene and are smaller areas than Austin. My sister does not think dating would be good for me in the suburbs of Austin.I am in my 20's.Im not really the party type.My dad thinks San Angelo would really suit my needs well and idk which is why I am asking y'all.lol.

Jobs are not a issue since I would work from home.How is the dating scene in San Angelo for millennial's and Gen Z'rs?I am not real into the bar and nightclub scene so I dont care about the nightlife.I have a friend who went to college in San Angelo and found his wife there.I will not really be looking for casual dating if and when I move to San Angelo.....I will be looking to get married.Thanks in advance y'all.

Last edited by C24L; 12-29-2019 at 11:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 06:05 AM

5,249 posts, read 2,996,733 times
You have been evaluating a variety a midsize areas in Texas for dating purposes for an extended amount of time now, while remaining in Midland, a city with an horrid surplus of men due to the presence of the energy industry, primarily petroleum.

I sense that you have some analysis paralysis.

San Angelo is ok, but all the options you've explored such as Amarillo, Lubbock, San Angelo, and Abilene are all essentially the same for dating.

While there are some desirable aspects about dating in any midsized metro (150,000 - 700,000 metro size) as compared to cesspool big city dating markets, the people who tend to do best in midsized metros are people who have remained in that midsized metro their entire lives and have a strong social circle. If you move, you don't have that.

I still think Amarillo and Lubbock are the best midsized options for you. They are larger than Abilene and San Angelo, which you'll need a little bit due to your limited social circle. In theory, a population in a metro area of 200-500k is sort of a sweet spot. Large enough to have some choices, but small enough that the women are not overloaded with choices and write off numerous men for the most trifling of reasons.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:22 AM

2,927 posts, read 4,043,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
You have been evaluating a variety a midsize areas in Texas for dating purposes for an extended amount of time now, while remaining in Midland, a city with an horrid surplus of men due to the presence of the energy industry, primarily petroleum.

San Angelo is ok, but all the options you've explored such as Amarillo, Lubbock, San Angelo, and Abilene are all essentially the same for dating.

While there are some desirable aspects about dating in any midsized metro (150,000 - 700,000 metro size) as compared to cesspool big city dating markets, the people who tend to do best in midsized metros are people who have remained in that midsized metro their entire lives and have a strong social circle. If you move, you don't have that.

I still think Amarillo and Lubbock are the best midsized options for you. They are larger than Abilene and San Angelo, which you'll need a little bit due to your limited social circle. In theory, a population in a metro area of 200-500k is sort of a sweet spot. Large enough to have some choices, but small enough that the women are not overloaded with choices and write off numerous men for the most trifling of reasons.
You received a rep, plus, your first sentence is correct and is "the" issue, plus he is waiting, apparently, on where his parents move first, then he will make his decision, maybe, lol. The rest of what you say, IMHO, is right on as well. This really should really "capture" in totally his situation on where to move, IMHO, unless there's?

Old 12-30-2019, 08:17 AM

10,323 posts, read 21,976,744 times
During the 4 years I spent in San Angelo, I only dated ONE man who was not a fellow ASU student. The man I married was a fellow ASU student, and most of my friends did the same. Aside from ASU, there are not a lot of young women in San Angelo. It is not a major commerce center, and the industries that are there tend to me male-dominated (farming, ranching, oil/gas). Also, there is a decent-sized Air Force base in San Angelo, which tips the balance of male/female further away. Most of the people who live and work in San Angelo are families, and there is a also a large retiree population.

I will agree with everyone else: Lubbock will likely be your best bet. Second choice would be Abilene since there are 3 church-based colleges there. Maybe you should look at taking some graduate classes to get yourself involved on a campus?

Old 12-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Thanks for your advice everybody.I got the sense that San Angelo would not work because the industries are mostly men but for some reason dad thought San Angelo was better than Abilene and Lubbock.

Last edited by C24L; 12-30-2019 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
During the 4 years I spent in San Angelo, I only dated ONE man who was not a fellow ASU student. The man I married was a fellow ASU student, and most of my friends did the same. Aside from ASU, there are not a lot of young women in San Angelo. It is not a major commerce center, and the industries that are there tend to me male-dominated (farming, ranching, oil/gas). Also, there is a decent-sized Air Force base in San Angelo, which tips the balance of male/female further away. Most of the people who live and work in San Angelo are families, and there is a also a large retiree population.

I will agree with everyone else: Lubbock will likely be your best bet. Second choice would be Abilene since there are 3 church-based colleges there. Maybe you should look at taking some graduate classes to get yourself involved on a campus?
There's no point in me taking grad classes since I would not need it for my career.

Last edited by C24L; 12-30-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 03:45 PM

5,249 posts, read 2,996,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
There's no point in me taking grad classes since I would not need it for my career.
You could take an elective PE type class for exercise to meet women. Plenty of people have taken community college or university classes to find dates after graduating from their primary education course.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You could take an elective PE type class for exercise to meet women. Plenty of people have taken community college or university classes to find dates after graduating from their primary education course.
Okay good point,RJ312.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:

ya your right that Midland has a terrible glut of men in the dating pool.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
You received a rep, plus, your first sentence is correct and is "the" issue, plus he is waiting, apparently, on where his parents move first, then he will make his decision, maybe, lol. The rest of what you say, IMHO, is right on as well. This really should really "capture" in totally his situation on where to move, IMHO, unless there's?
your right Mark Senior that i am waiting on my parents to make a decision to stay in West Texas or go to Central Texas/Hill Country and i am also waiting for the family business to get off the ground before i can move to Lubbock or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas