Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2006, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,568 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, This is my first post but have been lurking for some time. We are in WI and want to get out. Taxes and Snow are killing us! Have been checking area and we are wondering about Harper, north of San Antonio. Also considering the Palestine area. Can anyone give me any information on Harper. Anything on the Palestine area would also be helpful. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 06:48 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
Sorry no one has answered yet! I live in SA and dad lives in Kerrville and we have a ranch on the Kendall county line so I have heard of alot of towns in the area but not Harper so I looked it up and now I remember driving through it but it is not big at all! Hopefully someone else can help ya. Pretty area though. I have family in East Texas and Palstine is very pretty country also. Has the Texas state Railroad depot there. Good luck

Old 12-26-2006, 02:32 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Harper is a small town, probably better described as just west of Fredericksburg. My folks live north of Fredericksburg, so I spend quite a bit of time in the area. I am half-heartedly looking for some acreage in the Hill Country area, and Harper keeps looking like the best value that I can find. It is close enough to SA and Fredericksburd to have some shopping within 'range', but the prices have not gone through the roof yet. It is true Hill Country and the climate is wonderful (IMHO) - not as hot as towards the East and the winters are relatively mild (colder than Austin, but nothing for someone from WI!).

I must say I don't know much about the town. The area is most popular for its hunting - turkey, dove, deer - so there is not much in the way of job oppurtunities there. I suspect the growth rate has been very low for quite a while (one of the things that attracts me ).

Old 01-09-2007, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,567 times
I live in Harper. There is nothing to do. It never rains and gets hot in the summer, and what feels cold in the winter. (only the fortys). I figure all of our liveoak trees are going to die in about ten years due to oak wilt.

Hunting is very present. It wasn't very good this year though. We just now got a liabrary.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:55 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
My wife often rides her bike out in the area, and there are some serious oak wilt areas. I remember a real bad stretch on Pecan Creek Rd, looked like a post-nuclear war setting. Really sad, since it can be prevented at least on a micro basis. Clear out a buffer zone around the edge of your property before the wilt gets there, and take out any damged/diseased trees. There is so much land that is just being 'held', though, by non-local owners that they never see it coming until it is too late.

By the way, the nothing to do in Harper thing.....gotta be true (based on my experience with Willow City), but if you are looking for a quiet retirement area, that is a plus

Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times
My Dad lives in San Antonio and he's actually got a hunting lease in Harper. He's driving up there again tomorrow in fact, for a few days. He likes the small-ness of the community and of course it's the hill country so that's always a plus in his opinion.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,358 times
Thumbs up It is only what you make of it

There is as much or as little to do in Harper as you want. The school is always looking for volunteers, churches, park board, library, horse club, boy and girl scouts, athletics volunteer ect...................... Most people go to Kerrville or Fredericksburg to shop. Take it easy or get involved. I know I am busy everyday. It is a good place to live and let your kids grow up.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:59 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Wow, someone who actually lives in Harper finally found city-data. That's good news.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Just north of the school where the road splits in two they are gonna build some new subdivisions...but each is about 10 acres or less, I think. All that land has been purchased by kerrlandco.com and u can see the plat lists on their website.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufb View Post
Hello folks, This is my first post but have been lurking for some time. We are in WI and want to get out. Taxes and Snow are killing us! Have been checking area and we are wondering about Harper, north of San Antonio. Also considering the Palestine area. Can anyone give me any information on Harper. Anything on the Palestine area would also be helpful. Many thanks.

I live near Harper, it's a nice area, prettiest on the east side toward Fredericksburg. It is on the west end of the Texas Hill Country. Lots of Oak trees, creeks pretty hills. I have been thur Palestine a few times and did not like the area at all. It may be nice but I did not like it. I have never like much on the East side of Texas, I'm a West Texas girl at heart. The futher east you go the more humidity you get. Harper can be a bit dry at times, it's just about as far west as you can go and still be in the Hill Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas