Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:26 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Name one from Northern California that has moved to Houston.
Bill.com, a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35KFT View Post
Where did you get that information? Even common sense would, hopefully, disprove your statement.

2018 Real GDP in thousands, sourced from the U. S. Department of Commerce:

Los Angeles, 1,047,661.
San Francisco, 548,613.
When we say the Bay Area, we include San Jose and Palo Alto. Palo Alto is closer to San Francisco than Fort Worth is to Dallas. Also more easily connected by far. If you include the entire Bay Area and not just the San Francisco division, it comes out to 1.03 trillion. Not far behind LA’s 1.05. And if you want to be fair and include Riverside for LA, theirs comes up to 1.2 trillion.

So yes, it does wind up being close.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:15 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35KFT View Post
Where did you get that information? Even common sense would, hopefully, disprove your statement.

2018 Real GDP in thousands, sourced from the U. S. Department of Commerce:

Los Angeles, 1,047,661.
San Francisco, 548,613.
He's talking about the "Bay Area" which is LA vs. San Francisco+San Jose (and in some cases people add smaller metros in the periphery like Vallejo/Solano+Napa Valley+Sonoma MSAs, while kicking out San Benito County.
SF+SJ= 879,600 thousands of dollars. (San Benitio at 55,000 people has negligible GDP)
SF+SJ+3 North Bay Counties- 949.3 SB has 2.8 billion $. So 946.5 Billion Dollars for the "Bay Area", which is very comparable.

The reason why the Bay Area is split into at least 5 metros, is because it's a bay and because it's filled with mountainous valley's both act as artificial boundaries to areas clearly influenced heavily by each other, combine this with the often massive sizes of California Counties SF/SJ which are connected at the hip, is likely going to become a joined MSA. L.A also has Oxnard and Inland Empire on it's periphery as it suffers from the same thing as SF (not to mention SD to the south) just to a much smaller degree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay_Area or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jo...atistical_Area

Old 05-16-2020, 02:25 PM

On the NorCal companies not looking anywhere but Austin I have to agree. Dallas and Houston are massive cities, while Dallas get's looks, Dallas is undeniably the 4th biggest MSA in the U.S, and will likely become the 4th biggest CSA in the U.S by 2030-2040 as it's growing faster than all the above CSA's (currently 7th), it shouldn't be competing with a city like Austin and losing which is significantly smaller. Houston, as a Houstonian shouldn't even be on the list, most "tech" people I know here work in Oil/with Oil companies not even the same sphere, i'm not in the office so I don't know whether the majority of Houstonians in that field could easily pivot towards "tech" companies (I use "tech" because it's an ambiguous term when talking companies and will continue to be, although most people can name tech companies the border areas are very iffy imo.)

In HS's in Texas the mentality is still- The "best talent" goes to California/Ivies/Rice and the next group goes to the SMUs/UTs/Georgia Tech/Out-of-State schools, A and M is half a step down (As a UT student I couldn't resist), U of H in the Houston area leads the pack, then everyone else. The fact that the Valedictorians at my High school since I was in 9th Grade till my 3rd Year of college (This Year) either went out-of-state or "settled" for UT speaks volumes.

I'm no Tech expert, but from what I see and hear Houston/Dallas/Austin combined probably don't have the talent to match the Bay Area in tech (SMU+UT+Rice) vs. (Stanford+Berkeley which are normally ranked 1-3 with MIT in most tech related fields).

Just on Unicorns- Bay Area has like 100+ While I don't even think Texas has 5.

I would also love for the Border area to get some love, but Tech in the U.S is massively slanted for a reason and the only way I can see Texas, even catching up marginally is if some sub-technology takes of in Texas over the next few decades (Like for example "Technology based on Space" moves to Texas for whatever reason/reasons). Right now Texas and the vast majority of America if not the world is playing 2nd fiddle to the Bay Area, literally ever countries "Silicon _" is still miles behind SF in most cases especially when talking per-capita.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 05-16-2020 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-16-2020, 02:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
On the NorCal companies not looking anywhere but Austin I have to agree. Dallas and Houston are massive cities, while Dallas get's looks, Dallas is undeniably the 4th biggest MSA in the U.S, and will likely become the 4th biggest CSA in the U.S by 2030-2040 as it's growing faster than all the above CSA's (currently 7th), it shouldn't be competing with a city like Austin and losing which is significantly smaller. Houston, as a Houstonian shouldn't even be on the list, most "tech" people I know here work in Oil/with Oil companies not even the same sphere, i'm not in the office so I don't know whether the majority of Houstonians in that field could easily pivot towards "tech" companies (I use "tech" because it's an ambiguous term when talking companies and will continue to be, although most people can name tech companies the border areas are very iffy imo.)

Houston/Dallas/Austin combined probably don't have the talent to match the Bay Area in tech (SMU+UT+Rice) vs. (Stanford+Berkeley which are normally ranked 1-3 with MIT in most tech related fields)
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Who didn’t see that coming? Besides everyone I mean.

Here’s the deal: in Northern California (and ESPECIALLY the Bay Area), Austin is viewed as the only place in Texas that’s worth a crap. No Bay Area company will ever choose Houston for anything.
We're talking about the truck factory though. I wouldn't consider Buffalo a tech giant yet they have a Tesla factory. Plus the other city in the running is Tulsa.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:32 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
We're talking about the truck factory though. I wouldn't consider Buffalo a tech giant yet they have a Tesla factory. Plus the other city in the running is Tulsa.
And the other gigs-factory is in Reno, Nevada.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I understand that in this case it doesn't matter, but I was talking more in general. That the person that said Tech companies only look to Austin was 100% correct.

More like Austin some space then Dallas and then a cavern then Houston and SA and the Border/Smaller cities aren't even in question, hell Houston barely is.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:08 PM

I definitely don’t disagree about tech giants always choosing Austin to expand in. In fact, I religiously spoke about this in the other forum. The difference here is we are talking about a corporate HQ. Austin is not a corporate magnet even for tech companies. Austin is far behind Houston and DFW in corporate centers. Tesla’s Austin giga factory for example isn’t anything close to a corporate campus. What this thread was originally about is Tesla announcing to move their headquarters to Texas, which this factory isn’t.

Austin serves as the tech satellite city for all of the tech giants like Google, Apple, Amazon etc. Not Houston and not Dallas. No where near. Google and Apple recently spent millions on their buildings and lab facilities. But this in no way shape or form defines a corporate headquarters.

The other thing is someone mentioned NorCal companies never expand in Houston, this isn’t true. There has been a handful of NorCal companies that have expanded tech centers in Houston relatively recently. As well as DFW. Clearly not to the level of Austin no doubt. But to zero it out is simply false.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:12 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
That the person that said Tech companies only look to Austin was 100% correct.
Uber is a tech company, no?

Old 05-16-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Uber is a tech company, no?
In the middle. It's not a company that discovers new technology like Apple, Google and Microsoft, but it's a company that applies already available technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas