Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post

There's an image that I never seem to forget. The stone fence at a gate. I know they're all over, but that's one thing I classify with the Hill Country, and with 281. You never forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
I just realise that this is the ''Texas Billy the Kid'' area with the town of Hico as supposedly in Ft. Sumner Sheriff Pat Garrett let him live in and he escaped to Hico for the remainder of his life if the story is true as it's a big debate between us in New Mexico and those in Texas. Interesting anyway.....

6/3

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I just realise that this is the ''Texas Billy the Kid'' area with the town of Hico as supposedly in Ft. Sumner Sheriff Pat Garrett let him live in and he escaped to Hico for the remainder of his life if the story is true as it's a big debate between us in New Mexico and those in Texas. Interesting anyway.....

6/3
He's been in both places, believe it or not. That was his escape. History does live in Hico, and you're exactly right.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
Case, I'm going to try and remember to bring my camera when my sister and I drive south on 281 at the end of the month. I haven't travelled around Texas as much as you have but I've missed some great photo opportunities in the past whenever I did.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Case, I'm going to try and remember to bring my camera when my sister and I drive south on 281 at the end of the month. I haven't travelled around Texas as much as you have but I've missed some great photo opportunities in the past whenever I did.
My problem is I'm not able to post photos. I don't quite know how to do that just yet.

Next time you're anywhere on 281, yes, take your camera. You just never know..........................

....when you might get surrounded by bluebonnets.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 PM

Default Something Blue Awaits By The Highway

Quote:

THE JOURNEY MOVES ON...

The ride is never lonely. Even if I were by myself, there's always good company on a good highway. Awash in my deep thoughts, I dream about a place far away from the usual bustle of everyday life. What can be captured? On any Texas highway, there are many common sights to behold. On 281, there are more than just mere common sights. Just pull over and you might find some hefty, but yet very small, collections of Texas memorabilia in the form of what is still called our State flower. It is the bluebonnet. You've seen many people pull their cars over and families, husbands, wives, and kids pose together for lasting memories. When was the last time you went on a date and it was a picnic at a roadside stop? Have you ever taken a significant other to embark on this Texas pleasure surrounding yourselves in bluebonnets for a photo op? It sounds to me like the perfect date place. All the ingredients for a perfect afternoon. Sun. A few clouds. Comfortable temperatures. Green grass. A place to stop. There, that's just a few.

I'll bet that all along U.S. Highway 281, thousands upon thousands of aforementioned people like you and I have embraced this superb tradition. You see, on Texas highways, there are many stories for your deep thoughts. Many memories about to be made. Many treasures for your keepsake collections, too. There's no exact science, but only the deep and timeless tradition of timeless beauty that is but a divine creation. It's been said many a time that a picture is worth a thousand words. But on this great and mighty highway tucked away far from the interstates, I'd like to turn the tables and offer this thought. If a word had to be worth a thousand pictures, it would be the word bluebonnet. If any moment needed to be shared more amid the complexities, joys, challenges, and changes in human life, it is found in a sea of blue. The sea of bluebonnets.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
Beautiful post, case! I love bluebonnets. They've got to be my favorite Texas symbol!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:23 AM

Default Bridging The Gap on 281

Quote:

This would stand out in my top three for 281. This is a true slice of pure Americana. The Marble Falls bridge over the river. All you can say is "Wow!!"

Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,085 times
I know this thread is old, but it has just helped me decide how I'm going to San Antonio! My husband and I leave central Missouri tomorrow morning to travel to San Antonio to visit our daughter and her family. We've been told about 3 different ways to go and looking up the routes (including going down 281 from Wichita Falls) don't vary by any more than 30 minutes total. We live in farming country in Missouri and hate the cities, the traffic, and love the scenic countryside. We're in no hurry anyway! After reading these posts, we're going to drive I-44 all the way to Wichita Falls tomorrow, get a hotel room, then drive 281 and enjoy the scenery on Thursday. I just need to be careful of the speed limits, apparently! LOL. And, the weather forecast doesn't look too great (lots of storms), but that's not going to change no matter how we go. :-( Thanks so much for sharing all this wonderful info!

Old 04-07-2015, 12:13 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
I always have taken the interstate over 281 when I went from Dallas to San Antone.I prefer I-35 over Highway 281 because I don't like stopping in all the small towns and also the speed traps.Also 281 is prolly more dangerous due to head on collisions.I don't mind the traffic. I am a interstate man but I bet 281 in the Hill Country is real scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas