Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,038 times

Advertisements

Husband's new job in Waco. Please suggest the closest place to stay where there is a decent amount of Indian population and also he doesn't have much of a drive to work everyday. Need help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 12:10 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I assume you are talking South-Asian Indian and not American Indian?

There are a handful of Indian doctors and engineers in Waco who work for the local hospitals as well as Space-X and L3. Indian family who was a surgeon was our next door neighbors in Woodway. When I taught HS in Waco I had the occasional Indian student and one was valedictorian. But nothing I would call a "community" large enough to support things like Indian restaurants and groceries. To find that you'd need to move to Austin or Fort Worth which are equi-distant away (about 1.5 hours without traffic).

Old 06-18-2020, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,038 times
Thanks a lot. What about Temple, Texas . Are there any south Asian Indians there ?

Old 06-18-2020, 09:40 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Youd probably find more Indian residents in Waco than Temple. That said, there really arent many in the Waco/Temple/Killeen area. Dallas, which is only an hour 20 from Waco has one of the largest Indian communities in the country. If you need to go to markets, that would be your best bet.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:03 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,282 times
If your husband's job is in Waco proper, I would live pretty close to it. Driving an hour or "an hour 20" one way every day will be exhausting, expensive, and somewhat dangerous on I-35.

Maybe you could start a social media page in the Waco area to encourage an Indian culture group or something similar. That might help you feel like you are in your affinity group.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
But nothing I would call a "community" large enough to support things like Indian restaurants and groceries. To find that you'd need to move to Austin or Fort Worth which are equi-distant away (about 1.5 hours without traffic).
This is not accurate. There is an Indian restaurant, Stone Hearth in downtown Waco that's been there for a few years now. There is also a second restaurant called Saffron, that I believe describes itself as 'Indo-Pakistani' on Valley Mills that either just opened or was in the process of opening. Not sure how the coronavirus has affected that.

Beyond restaurants, I have one co-worker of Tamil descent and there is also an Indian family in my apartment complex in Hewitt. So the community isn't as large as in Austin or Dallas, but you won't be alone here either. Welcome to Waco!

Old 06-25-2020, 11:30 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimiwac View Post
This is not accurate. There is an Indian restaurant, Stone Hearth in downtown Waco that's been there for a few years now. There is also a second restaurant called Saffron, that I believe describes itself as 'Indo-Pakistani' on Valley Mills that either just opened or was in the process of opening. Not sure how the coronavirus has affected that.

Beyond restaurants, I have one co-worker of Tamil descent and there is also an Indian family in my apartment complex in Hewitt. So the community isn't as large as in Austin or Dallas, but you won't be alone here either. Welcome to Waco!
I'm absolutely happy to stand corrected. During the 13 years I lived in Waco there were no Indian restaurants of any kind. My wife and I would religiously dine at the Bombay Bistro in North Austin across from the Costco at least once a month to get our Indian food fix. That was our routine about once a month. Do our Costco shopping and visit the Indian buffet as Waco lacked both.

I'm glad Waco is diversifying the restaurant choices past TexMex, Burgers, and BBQ.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
I moved to Waco from the Midwest about 7 years ago. Waco still has a ways to go, but it's really heartening to see that it's improving as far as diversity and range of dining and entertainment options.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:10 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,210,557 times
The real test of whether there's any Indian community of size is whether there's an Indian grocery. A lot of what my Indian mother-in-law cooks can only be found at an Indian grocery. It's the same for most Indians who cook Indian food. Does Waco have one?

Old 06-26-2020, 07:26 AM

295 posts, read 143,407 times
neighbors are from there- they have to Temple for temple services and go to Austin once a month to be around friends - very few Indians. North Austin has a ton if thats important
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas