Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,434 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what steps I should take in relocating to texas. Secondly I was wondering which location is best for me (reading these threads has me going back and forth!). I am not interested in diversity (I'm a hispanic female from the Dominican Republic raised in NY that grew up in a neighborhood consisting primarly of african americans and mexicans and have not had great experiences there, I'm sorry if this offends anyone - just being honest). I'm interested in a suburb that is safe, a good place to raise a family but not to far from "all the action" cause I'm a NY girl who is use to having it all .

I've become interested in areas in Houston such as Katy, The Woodlands, Sugarland and Pearland but all I see are contradictory comments so..... please tell me what you believe is the best city in texas, why, which towns are safest, and which are the most fun, and what has the less traffic (home prices in the neighborhood can go anywhere up to $465,000)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
If you have a budget like that, you can pick pretty much anywhere. As far as traffic, there aren't many Texas Cities (especially the larger ones like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Corpus Christi, El Paso) you won't find traffic. I think the culture shock would be easier for you to bear somewhere like Houston, Dallas or San Antonio, even Fort Worth because they have more metropolitan type amentities as far as libraries, museums, theatre, art scenes. Any of those Houston Suburbs you named are all good, safe neighborhoods with good schools and excepting The Woodlands, not too far from downtown (Well, maybe Pearland too) but I used to live in Clear Lake, Southern end of the city towards the coast and went downtown all the time and it wasn't a bad drive. I also lived in Rice Village (an Inner Loop neighborhood). There were lots of kids there too.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:09 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
I would go with Austin or San Antonio.....You don't say but if you are single those are fun towns....for that matter Dallas and Houston are too...but if I were young and single I would go towards Austin.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,644 times
Austin has more of a California vibe. Houston, San Antonio and Dallas are good, depending on the area of town you are. I really like Sugarland for it's accessability to downtown and the Galleria- without having to travel through "the hood". As far as being affordable.. all of Texas is pretty fairly priced. Compared to Cali. and New York, these areas will be cheap.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,006 times
If you want some sort of city vibe stay within the major cities...even then there will be a lot of driving for the most part. The Houston suburbs you mention are a long ways away from downtown especially with traffic factored in. Look in N Dallas between downtown and 635...there are pockets of "fun" areas (the "M Streets" area comes to mind). Austin is another good suggestion.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,434 times
Default Thanx!

Thank you guys so much I feel like I'm really getting alot of insight from you all. I can't wait to live in Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas