U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2020, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas
188 posts, read 211,056 times
Reputation: 178

Advertisements

I am a life-long Texan, grew up in the Longview/Tyler area and lived in DFW, San Antonio, and Houston for all my life. We moved to Arkansas 3 years ago, but look to be coming back in a couple of years. We have decided on a zone bordered by Texarkana, to Paris, south to just south of Tyler/Henderson/Nacogdoches, and over to Lufkin. Then back up to Texarkana. Would love to hear from people who live in this area and get opinions of towns and counties that are doing well and are nice places to be. We will be retired, so jobs are not a factor anymore. Pretty much need a grocery store and fairly close to Sams Club. Thanks so much in advance.

Counties: Bowie, Marion, Cass, Lamar, Franklin, Camp, Titus, Morris, Wood, Hopkins, Panola, Upshur, Harrison, Smith, Gregg.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2020, 09:44 AM
Status: "There are better things ahead than behind. CS Lewis" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
65,064 posts, read 54,421,989 times
Reputation: 96004
I have lived in Smith, Gregg, Rusk, and Henderson counties over the past 25 or so years - Whitehouse, Tyler, Kilgore, Longview, Chandler, and Flint. And for many years, I traveled a lot throughout NE Texas working with companies (it was my "territory").

Overall, I think this area is beautiful. Summers are long and hot and humid but you know that! Coming from the south in general, I don't find this particularly onerous.

I love love love the Tyler area. It seems more "white collar professional" than the other areas. It seems more economically diverse as well. Many of the other smaller cities seem to be too dependent on oil and gas, which has largely dried up in this area over the years.

Tyler has many grocery stores as well as a Sam's Club. So does Longview but Longview doesn't seem to be economically sound as Tyler.

Tyler also has a terrific medical system and there are several large and well funded hospital systems here. Tyler is geared toward families and retirees so it is not a party town for sure - LOL.

Out of the above listed towns, I disliked living in Kilgore, Longview, and Whitehouse. I am not here to "diss" other towns because my reasons are my reasons, not everyone else's. But what I disliked about Kilgore was that it seems to be economically strapped, as does Longview. I really dislike Whitehouse's good ol' boy political system. I didn't see what was so great about their schools and their tax rate is higher than that of TISD (Tyler Independent School District).

I really like Flint, Tyler, and Chandler, in that order. Chandler's property tax rate is higher than Tyler's or Flint's, but it's close to Tyler and has a lot of amenities for a town its size. Flint is basically just a bedroom community of Tyler - it's even closer to Tyler than Chandler is. I like that Flint is in Smith County though, compared to Henderson County for Chandler, which seems unnecessarily "removed" from Tyler and Smith County even though it's also a bedroom community of Tyler basically.

We just bought the house we want to retire in and live in till our kids have to move us to a facility - LOL. We limited our search to Tyler/Flint/Chandler.

My husband grew up in Henderson, and his parents lived there till they passed away a few years ago. So we are very familiar with that area as well. I always thought that Henderson was a pretty little town, but there's a significant issue with it, which is that it's sort of close to Tyler and Longview but not REALLY close. Actually it's not really close to anything. So in order to go to a medical specialist, or Sam's Club or whatever, or even a good grocery store, you would have to drive to either Tyler or Longview which are both at least 30 minutes from Henderson, could be longer depending on where in Henderson a person might live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2020, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Belton, Tx
3,179 posts, read 1,437,159 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
I am a life-long Texan, grew up in the Longview/Tyler area and lived in DFW, San Antonio, and Houston for all my life. We moved to Arkansas 3 years ago, but look to be coming back in a couple of years. We have decided on a zone bordered by Texarkana, to Paris, south to just south of Tyler/Henderson/Nacogdoches, and over to Lufkin. Then back up to Texarkana. Would love to hear from people who live in this area and get opinions of towns and counties that are doing well and are nice places to be. We will be retired, so jobs are not a factor anymore. Pretty much need a grocery store and fairly close to Sams Club. Thanks so much in advance.

Counties: Bowie, Marion, Cass, Lamar, Franklin, Camp, Titus, Morris, Wood, Hopkins, Panola, Upshur, Harrison, Smith, Gregg.
I no longer live in the area but was born and raised in Texarkana. If you're looking for a growing city Tyler and Longview are your best bets like Kathryn said. Great medical services and shopping.There's also many smaller towns and suburbs around them. Lufkin/Nacogdoches I'd mention next. A growing area especially with I-69 coming through there. Texarkana is a nice sized town but their medical services are not the best and growth is slow and not much to do unless you like to eat or shop. Paris and Marshall are both in the 25,000- 30,000 range. Pretty stagnant. All of these cities have public transportation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2020, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Van Buren, Arkansas
188 posts, read 211,056 times
Reputation: 178
Thank you both for your input. It's funny how some things don't change in 40+ years. I went to schools in Longview starting in 3rd grade, and K, 1, 2 in Tyler. I always got the impression that Longview envied Tyler and the opposite was not true. We travelled the area a couple of weeks ago and I almost cried for Longview- places I grew up going to were boarded and closed.

We liked the Paris area but feel like a 90 mile trip to Sam's is not going to happen. In my 60s, I am not looking for party spots but at least need a place I can resell later. Same with Marshall, Jefferson, and Henderson.

We have about a year and a half to decide, so eventually the square map of choices will get smaller.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2020, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Belton, Tx
3,179 posts, read 1,437,159 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
Thank you both for your input. It's funny how some things don't change in 40+ years. I went to schools in Longview starting in 3rd grade, and K, 1, 2 in Tyler. I always got the impression that Longview envied Tyler and the opposite was not true. We travelled the area a couple of weeks ago and I almost cried for Longview- places I grew up going to were boarded and closed.

We liked the Paris area but feel like a 90 mile trip to Sam's is not going to happen. In my 60s, I am not looking for party spots but at least need a place I can resell later. Same with Marshall, Jefferson, and Henderson.

We have about a year and a half to decide, so eventually the square map of choices will get smaller.
Wishing you all the best!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2020, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Daleville, VA
2,172 posts, read 3,580,573 times
Reputation: 2174
KathrynA is an AMAZING Tyler booster, and I appreciate her insights a bunch.........however....I fear it is now time to put in a word for Longview. I lived there from 1981 to 1986 and found it a great place to live.

If you are refereeing a discussion on cities over 50K in East Texas, then surely you will find vast differences between Tyler and Longview. But looking at the bigger picture of communities in Texas, you can hardly find two municipalities with more similarities!

With the perspective of time and distance, to me they seem a bit like Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee. In other words, the differences really are not all that great.

I also spent years in Houston, and at the time, it seemed like Dallas was SO very different than Houston and I was definitely an H-town booster. With the passage of time, I realize that the differences are pretty minimal compared to the similarities!!

So DON'T rule out Longview. I would never have chosen it as a place to retire, and if I'd HAD to retire in East Texas, I really am not sure where I would have gone. But it's a very livable option, with plenty of amenities, and a good variety of neighborhoods from which to choose. Tyler is fine too!

GOOD LUCK! Not everyone can retire in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia LOL! (And some people don't like the place I chose HAHA!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2020, 09:29 AM
Status: "There are better things ahead than behind. CS Lewis" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
65,064 posts, read 54,421,989 times
Reputation: 96004
LOL thanks, I think.

For the record, my husband and I could honestly live anywhere in the world as long as we had easy access to a good airport. In fact, we traveled to many parts of the US (including the Blue Ridge Mountains) perusing our options, but in the end we chose Tyler, Texas. Just goes to show that there are different bites for different likes and thankfully we live in a very diverse country - and to top that off, Texas is a very diverse state as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2020, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Daleville, VA
2,172 posts, read 3,580,573 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL thanks, I think.

For the record, my husband and I could honestly live anywhere in the world as long as we had easy access to a good airport. In fact, we traveled to many parts of the US (including the Blue Ridge Mountains) perusing our options, but in the end we chose Tyler, Texas. Just goes to show that there are different bites for different likes and thankfully we live in a very diverse country - and to top that off, Texas is a very diverse state as well.
We had lived in Houston for eight years, followed by a number of years in a small TX town with one supermarket - and had pretty well decided we wanted a small metro area. But we had also decided we wanted a four seasons climate, so that caused us to look beyond the Lone Star State!

I had read about folks from New England who retired to Florida and loved it - while others retired to Florida and decided they totally missed having seasons. That got me to thinking I wanted to live where there were seasons but where winter was not ferocious. That's how we ended up in the Blue Ridge area of Virginia - where every season lasts about three months. I never understand the first day of summer coming in late June until I moved here haha!

We did enjoy our time in Longview - I actually started elementary school near Kilgore mumble-something years ago. My brother actually lives in Tyler now!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2020, 08:44 AM
Status: "There are better things ahead than behind. CS Lewis" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
65,064 posts, read 54,421,989 times
Reputation: 96004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
We had lived in Houston for eight years, followed by a number of years in a small TX town with one supermarket - and had pretty well decided we wanted a small metro area. But we had also decided we wanted a four seasons climate, so that caused us to look beyond the Lone Star State!

I had read about folks from New England who retired to Florida and loved it - while others retired to Florida and decided they totally missed having seasons. That got me to thinking I wanted to live where there were seasons but where winter was not ferocious. That's how we ended up in the Blue Ridge area of Virginia - where every season lasts about three months. I never understand the first day of summer coming in late June until I moved here haha!

We did enjoy our time in Longview - I actually started elementary school near Kilgore mumble-something years ago. My brother actually lives in Tyler now!
Don't get me wrong - I love Virginia and in fact, the Chesapeake Bay area in general and Virginia specifically in that area is actually my very favorite place on earth - it even outranks East Texas personally (though ET is my second favorite place on earth). But the OP was talking about NE Texas and since that's where we have chosen to live, and since that's where I've lived for over 25 years, that's what I was remarking on. And I do love it here. I love love love East Texas and Tyler and am SO GRATEFUL that I found it.

And why don't I live in my very favorite part of the US? Because marriage is a partnership and because we have an established life here. And because living in my second favorite part of the US is pretty dang good!

I have lived in the Chesapeake Bay area several times over my lifetime (Norfolk, Newport News, and several places in Maryland as well) and as a kid, we used to vacation often in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and in fact, my husband and I have vacationed there several times as well. It's a beautiful area but since both of us are very averse to any snow and ice, we took it off our list of permanent homes. But it's a beautiful place to visit! We generally go there in October or in the spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2020, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
4,107 posts, read 3,977,707 times
Reputation: 5956
I would say Tyler/Smith County is probably your best bet if you want a area that's doing well. Longview/Gregg County isn't doing bad but it hasn't experienced the growth that Tyler/Smith County has for decades now. Matter fact I believe the city of Longview is losing people but the metro is growing slowly but surely.

My Parents still live in Longview are getting closed to the retiree stage and at one point my Mother really considered retiring in Tyler. But eventually they decided Longview is good enough to stay in. She was turned off by all the traffic in a city she felt didn't need that much traffic to begin with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top