Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 10:20 AM

7,822 posts, read 11,708,343 times

Advertisements

Who are the California transplants over here.. which part of CA did you move from, how long ago and what has your experience been like? Do you still visit CA periodically? Overall has your experience with Texas been neutral/positive/negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 11:46 AM

8,196 posts, read 5,308,544 times
I’m one. Moved from Torrance to Dallas then Houston. Been here for 10 years now.

Love it here. No place is perfect. Texas is more conservative than I’d prefer but then again California is too liberal. I miss it at times (especially the variety of outdoor activities) but I wouldn’t ever consider moving back.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:00 PM

7,822 posts, read 11,708,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I’m one. Moved from Torrance to Dallas then Houston. Been here for 10 years now.

Love it here. No place is perfect. Texas is more conservative than I’d prefer but then again California is too liberal. I miss it at times (especially the variety of outdoor activities) but I wouldn’t ever consider moving back.
Thanks for the feedback. I lived in Torrance as well (right off PCH) many years ago. Not too familiar with Houston but I am moving to Dallas and I plan to making a visit to Houston on occasion. I have never been to that city.

I was in Plano last week for several days and even though it was hot I sort of liked it, it wasn't too bad.

I was in Phoenix and I thought the heat was MUCH more oppressive there than in Dallas. Yeah, people say Phoenix is dry heat so it's ok. Well, it's not. When it's 118F, which it was that day, it does not matter if it's dry or wet, you feel like you are going to spontaneously combust. Texas does not get that hot.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,420,927 times
Here are where a Californian might feel at home in Texas based on similarities and stereo types.

LA/OC > Dallas/Ft Worth (Finance/Corporate Type Jobs and materialism)
SF and San Jose > Austin (Tech Jobs and liberal politics)
San Diego > San Antonio (Tourism, Military, near beach, missions, Sea World and being the state's 3rd forgotten city)
Oakland/East Bay Area > Houston/Galveston (Port Cities and big African American presence)
Bakersfield/Fresno/Imperial Valley > El Paso/Rio Grande Valley (Agriculture/border culture)
Inland Desert Areas of SoCal > Midland/Odessa/Lubbock (hot and flat)
Rural Northern California > Rural North East Texas (Pine trees)

Californians, come one, come all TO TEXAS!!!

Old 07-21-2020, 11:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 999,794 times
They are every where. The liberal plague is moving in.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:58 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,932,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
I believe most of the California transplants are conservative or libertarian or at the very least moderate. They ought to put their political ideology when they comment so we can know for sure.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,308,544 times
Quote:
You’re welcome.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,171,145 times
Quote:
I didn't realize that this native Texan is part of a plague. How long has your family been in Texas? According to family lore, a relative of ours fought in the Alamo. We're still working on the family tree to confirm that.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,932,658 times
I have an ancestor that was born in Cameron County, Texas in 1834 (Apparently back then it was a part of Tamaulipas).

Also descended from William H. Bourland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Bourland

Old 07-21-2020, 02:08 PM

3,243 posts, read 5,577,723 times
I'm not a multi generational native Texican. Born in Tennessee I came here at age 2.

My maternal family moved here during WWII as needed workforce on the Gulf Coast industrial crescent from Arkansas. My father was from East Tennessee and spent little time in Texas. Bugged out pretty quickly. I was raised by my Roosevelt Democrat maternal grands for the most part. I frikken love Texas and all that means ! It has my heart and I'll die for her.

I've flown through Cali but have no experience with the state other than what I'm exposed to via the net and a few co-workers.

What I've come away with is that they are generally not conservative and even those that claim that are more centric than hard core conservatives. They seem to like the economies conservatives have built here in Texas. They seem to be disappointed in lifestyles and social ways of Texans and they generally seem oblivious to why Cali, with such visual beauty, varied terrains, and near perfect climate, ... sutuational perfection, has become such a poor place to inhabit.

Liberal ways and requisite gubmint control of the individual is the picture I get of these folks. All this comes with taxes that make slaves of men.

Of course my fear is they will change Texas into the social and economic ****hole that Cali is. I am wary.

Last edited by BobTex; 07-21-2020 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas