U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,063 posts, read 10,997,815 times
Reputation: 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
There are VERY FEW law schools that have a better reputation than UT Law. Off the top of my head, there is Harvard, Yale, and that's pretty much it.
Really. Try the rest of the Ivy League schools, University of Chicago and NYU, for a start. Look, I'm sure UT has a fine law school but let's not go overboard!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
 
630 posts, read 612,161 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

Oh, I'm quite serious and VERY much aware of how people from the other universities like to look down their noses at Tech, laugh at Lubbock, etc. But, as the mother of a Red Raider, I know that TTU offers quality programs and a great education. The articles that cite Tech's passing rate on the Bar and job placement record aren't joking, either.

Are you even reading what's being posted before you? TTU has one of the lowest passage rate on the last exam, LOWER than UT, UH, South Texas, SMU, Baylor and even St. Mary. That's a fact that you cannot dispute. And, I am not going to argue about how "TTU offers quality programs and a great education," but we all know that TTU is not "very highly ranked" as you've stated, even though some of us might be in denial.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
 
630 posts, read 612,161 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Really. Try the rest of the Ivy League schools, University of Chicago and NYU, for a start. Look, I'm sure UT has a fine law school but let's not go overboard!

Just so you know that the above argument has already been made by me before you. There is no need for repetition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,063 posts, read 10,997,815 times
Reputation: 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Just so you know that the above argument has already been made by me before you. There is no need for repetition.
And there is NO NEED to be rude, which you HAVE been to me since I posted. My family are Red Raiders and I simply offered TTU as a good school, which it is. If you disagree, fine, but insulting people is ridiculous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 06:40 PM
 
630 posts, read 612,161 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
And there is NO NEED to be rude, which you HAVE been to me since I posted. My family are Red Raiders and I simply offered TTU as a good school, which it is. If you disagree, fine, but insulting people is ridiculous.
It's fine to be proud of the Red Reiders, but calling Texas Tech "very highly ranked" is either lying or mis-informed. I just pointed that out with some facts to back it up, including that it is a Tier 3 law school and on the last bar exam, having lower passage rate than most law schools in Texas. These are facts, no opinions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,063 posts, read 10,997,815 times
Reputation: 3523
NO, you "didn't just point out facts." Your words AND tone were insulting and rude. And, because it's clear that you're into the bully thing, there's no point in having a "factual" discussion with your sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
It's fine to be proud of the Red Reiders, but calling Texas Tech "very highly ranked" is either lying or mis-informed. I just pointed that out with some facts to back it up, including that it is a Tier 3 law school and on the last bar exam, having lower passage rate than most law schools in Texas. These are facts, no opinions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
 
630 posts, read 612,161 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
NO, you "didn't just point out facts." Your words AND tone were insulting and rude. And, because it's clear that you're into the bully thing, there's no point in having a "factual" discussion with your sort.
You're offended because you're wrong and there is no much I can do about it.

For whatever it's worth, I think Texas Tech is a good choice for law school due to its low cost. But the fact remained that it's not a bad decision to choose Texas Tech over schools such as UT, UH, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
397 posts, read 595,742 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
getting a job as an attorney and getting a great job as an attorney is the difference between UT-Austin Law School and others in TX
TTech grads have strong alumni program behind them but UT-Law is just head and shoulders above other law schools in TX and most of the country--you can't say that about other law schools even SMU's...
This is quite possibly accurate. The OP's options would really depend on whether he wants to practice in Texas or elsewhere, and where he would like to be employed.

For the most part, law schools are equally good - at least the ones accredited by the ABA. They mostly use the same textbooks, have professors who went to the same law schools, have the same teaching style. Some lesser-known schools even do better on bar exams than more prestigious schools for various reasons. However, job opportunities are not the same for graduates of all law schools.

Job opportunities at large, national firms mostly (but not always) go to graduates from top-tier law schools. Beyond this idea, good local law schools are often preferred over good distant law schools. U of H and SMU are excellent law schools, and if the OP wishes to get a job with a TX firm (presuming that he gets the grades), he'll be fine. However, if he is looking to go out of state, especially to a major legal center, these schools are less attractive.

The only law school in Texas that is highly respected and leads to great opportunities in other states is UT Austin. At my firm's San Diego office, the only TX graduates that are seriously considered (unless someone presents something exceptional), are from UT Austin. Personally, I think this method of selection is deficient and has SO many shortcomings, but that is how BIGLAW does it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM
 
630 posts, read 612,161 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
The only law school in Texas that is highly respected and leads to great opportunities in other states is UT Austin. At my firm's San Diego office, the only TX graduates that are seriously considered (unless someone presents something exceptional), are from UT Austin. Personally, I think this method of selection is deficient and has SO many shortcomings, but that is how BIGLAW does it.
True that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,310 posts, read 20,002,711 times
Reputation: 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
SMU, hands down.
I wouldn't say "hands down" exactly. Both are really 2nd tier law schools, which is funny because the only 1st tier in this state seems to be UT. The top 10% at either school will wind up at prestigious firms vs. the top 25% at UT.

I think it's a wash between the two, but if you are in my shoes the advantage goes to UH because the tuition is so much more affordable.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top