Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,174 times

Advertisements

While I recommend people should wear a mask the Texas mask mandate exempts polling Places

Texas AG Reminds Election Officials: Masks Not Mandated at Polling Places

Abbott’s mask mandate “does not apply to … any person who is voting, assisting a voter, serving as a poll watcher, or actively administering an election.”

By Erin Anderson|October 16, 2020

As voters across Texas began heading to the polls this week, turning out in record numbers to early vote in-person, local election officials received a reminder that masks are not mandated inside polling places.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton sent a letter Wednesday to county election administrators, clarifying Gov. Greg Abbott’s July executive order mandating masks statewide:
My office is receiving reports that certain poll watchers, election clerks, and other individuals administering elections are being barred from executing their duties on account of not wearing a mask or face-covering. This is wrong.

This letter serves as a reminder that on July 2, 2020, Governor Abbott issued Executive Order No. GA-29 relating to the use of face coverings during the COVID-19 disaster. See attached. The Order states plainly that the statewide “face-covering requirement does not apply to … any person who is voting, assisting a voter, serving as a poll watcher, or actively administering an election.” See the attached Order at page 2, paragraph 8.

Political subdivisions may not contravene the Governor’s Order. Doing so is unlawful.
Abbott’s mask mandate—one of 25 executive orders issued by the governor since he declared a coronavirus disaster—specifically exempts voters and election workers inside polling places, but adds “wearing a face covering is strongly encouraged.”
The order also exempts “any person with a medical condition or disability that prevents wearing a face covering.”
Voting safety protocols issued by the Texas Secretary of State also recommend voters “consider wearing” face coverings or masks when entering a polling place.
“During the hours of voting, the Election Code supersedes any rules, laws, or ordinances normally in place at that location,” Christine Welborn, Direct Action Texas’ director of election integrity, told Texas Scorecard.
Early voting began Tuesday and runs through October 30. Election Day is November 3.
If you encounter mask mandates when voting, please contact rmontoya@texasscorecard.com.

https://texasscorecard.com/state/tex...olling-places/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 06:51 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
This is ridiculous.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:59 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Bottom line is - voting is more important than dying of COVID - and that's not hyperbole. If you're not willing to accept that - don't vote.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:04 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
Ridiculous.
Can anyone else read between the lines on what is going on here from the Republican (Ken Paxton)?

Old 10-21-2020, 05:31 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Just bring your damm mask, and protective yourself, if it's that big of a deal. Quit parenting others. Maybe this freedom of mask wearing at the polls is symbolic of elections and voting. Think about it.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:42 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Just bring your damm mask, and protective yourself, if it's that big of a deal. Quit parenting others. Maybe this freedom of mask wearing at the polls is symbolic of elections and voting. Think about it.

Or losing your life because the person who voted right before you chose to exercise their "freedom" by not wearing a mask and possibly breathing asymptomatic particles onto the voting machine.

I was on the fence as to what side to vote in this election but once again Texas helped me see which side is the "responsible" side.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:00 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,048,957 times
Not sure where you people vote but where I did (DFW) it was required to wear a mask. All workers had a mask and I never saw anyone without one.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:39 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That is one of the most asinine and selfish things I've read. Choosing to wear a mask is not the same sort of choice as choosing which shirt to wear. It's also not about freedom. It's about protecting yourself and those around you during a pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands of people including (indirectly) my father.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:48 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Or losing your life because the person who voted right before you chose to exercise their "freedom" by not wearing a mask and possibly breathing asymptomatic particles onto the voting machine.

I was on the fence as to what side to vote in this election but once again Texas helped me see which side is the "responsible" side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
That is one of the most asinine and selfish things I've read. Choosing to wear a mask is not the same sort of choice as choosing which shirt to wear. It's also not about freedom. It's about protecting yourself and those around you during a pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands of people including (indirectly) my father.
^^^ This

Mask wearing is not about protecting oneself but about protecting others.

I see at least some are catching on to some of what is being done by Republican led Texas and the recent policies that have been implemented by said leadership in regards to impacting Texas voters in the upcoming election.

Can anyone point out the multiple things that have been done by Texas leadership (and up) that are detrimental to voters of a certain political affiliation, economic and health status?

Old 10-22-2020, 08:31 AM

75 posts, read 67,653 times
LOL anyone who thinks this is a Texas issue. All 50 states are allowing it. Way to continue to politicize....

https://www.latimes.com/science/news...onavirus-today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas