U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 06:11 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,239,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Check out west of Fort Worth - you may be able to find something affordable that you really like but still be close to the amenities of Fort Worth, which just happens to be one of my very favorite cities!

Any place with good amenities in the Hill Country is likely to be cost prohibitive.
maybe Weatherford could work......i heard it has a low cost of living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 07:41 PM

3,410 posts, read 2,672,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
maybe Weatherford could work......i heard it has a low cost of living.
Also check out Granbury.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:18 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,203,818 times
Granbury might be too conservative.

If you can afford it, New Braunfels is the obvious answer. There are jobs so you won't have to commute to SA but col is kind of pricey compared to San Antonio. Probably cheaper than where you're coming from.

For smaller towns to commute to San Antonio: try Castroville, La Vernia, Floresville, Devine/Lytle, Bulverde, and yes Boerne too.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:38 PM

23 posts, read 13,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Granbury might be too conservative.

If you can afford it, New Braunfels is the obvious answer. There are jobs so you won't have to commute to SA but col is kind of pricey compared to San Antonio. Probably cheaper than where you're coming from.

For smaller towns to commute to San Antonio: try Castroville, La Vernia, Floresville, Devine/Lytle, Bulverde, and yes Boerne too.
Doubtful. I was hesitant to even mention that we are a gay couple because I knew that would cloud people's opinion of what our preferences might be. We are bitter clingers . When visiting Texas we had two incredibly touching moments where total strangers approached us randomly to talk to us and to pray together. One was on a street corner in Downtown Bryan, a young couple, the other in Elgin at HEB outside of Austin. I don't know if this is a typical experience or not (I think my partner was probably wearing his Trump shirt or hat) but I've never experienced such genuine kindness like that here.

Cost of living is already looking SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper no matter where I look. While in Austin I decided to randomly stop and take a tour of an apartment community that looked on par with the housing stock here in Chapel Hill/Carrboro NC. It was a renovated apartment complex (Jewel Apartments) that was likely constructed in the 70s. The rents were around $900 to $1200 depending on floor plan -- typical for our area here for bottom of the line apartments. So I am paying roughly the same in housing to live in a college town of 60K with limited jobs as one would pay to live in the most expensive city in TX -- one with siginificantly more job opportunities. Gas is also about .50 cents per gallon cheaper, and the cost of meat at HEB was almost half what we pay here at Harris Teeter.

I will check out all of the suburbs/towns you and others have listed. Granbury definitely looked nice! What is the scoop on areas west of the I-35 corridor beyond Fredericksburg? I was hoping to explore those areas more fully but just couldn't make it happen! I expect I'll probably end up within the San Antonio metro area and eventually pick out the ideal community once I am there.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:25 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,203,818 times
Like Junction? All the hill country towns are very nice. Main problem is lack of jobs.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:08 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,551,479 times
The area due west of Fredericksburg is extremely rural. Junction, Ozona and Sonora only exist because of oil and gas, and the fact that they are on the interstate. Eldorado and Menard are very small ranching communities, and Brady is slightly larger. As the previous poster said, good-paying jobs are very scarce in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas