Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 05:16 PM

9,773 posts, read 6,429,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It wasn't historically though. The eastern edge of River Oaks wasn't far from the historic 4th Ward. There's a historic AA cemetery just east of Shepherd north of Gray.
I knew about the 4th ward but didn’t put the history of the two together. Good to know. So basically, River Oaks got separated through gentrification?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 06:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,562,806 times
Default San Antonio is nice but I'm older

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Eh, someone upthread described San Antonio as a "low income Hispanic city," and to be honest, I personally get the vibe that the city is very Hispanic-centric.

But I suppose it's possible perceptions aren't necessarily reality.
I've never spent much time in SA but have in most of the other large cities in Texas. I was in San Antonio about two months ago. It's a nice, clean city. Although culturally one would assume it's more like El Paso (another laid-back majority Hispanic city that I love) than any other large TX city, IMO San Antonio comes across as more sophisticated than ELP. Over the decades, SA's reputation has always been a nice, low-key city. I think it's off the radar for several reasons and some of them are good:

PROS that keep it off the radar:
- A minority-majority city that is well-run and doesn't have a reputation for being inept & incompetent.
- It's a quiet city.
- Not a city with a lot of drama (police shootings, racial issues, corrupt local politicians).
- Not a city in the news because of high crime issues (citizens).
- Not known for having out-of-control illegal immigration issues.
- Conservative, family-oriented city.
- Because it's neither a majority Black or White city, it avoids the historical baggage that accompanies either group; a good reason that SA is off the radar.

CONS that keep it off the radar:
- Because of its' population demographics, it's a culturally insulated city. This insulation keeps it from having a heavy-handed impact on the state's collective pop culture unlike the other large cities.
- Not considered a "hot" city (with lots of sexy, attractive residents).
- Not considered a "hip" city (although for older, conservatives this is probably considered a pro instead of a con).
- Not considered a progressive city for highly educated or high-income singles to relocate to unlike the other large cities.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:55 PM

6,484 posts, read 7,459,032 times
The "Made For" USAA commercials are heard nationwide on the radio and are pretty catchy, I hear them here in Southern California regularly. They certainly keep San Antonio on people's minds since each commercial ends with a disclaimer that ends with "...San Antonio, Texas."

HEB is regional so they could never get SA this kind of exposure and Rackspace is more business-to-business as opposed to being consumer facing, so they don't do this type of publicity.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:20 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,643,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The "Made For" USAA commercials are heard nationwide on the radio and are pretty catchy, I hear them here in Southern California regularly. They certainly keep San Antonio on people's minds since each commercial ends with a disclaimer that ends with "...San Antonio, Texas."

HEB is regional so they could never get SA this kind of exposure and Rackspace is more business-to-business as opposed to being consumer facing, so they don't do this type of publicity.
I can tell you San Antonio already has respectable national exposure.

Most people know it's in Texas, and it really got a lot of attention during the 2000s with the string of impressive seasons the San Antonio Spurs had.

It's just not necessarily a place most people are eager to live or visit (yes, The Alamo and Sea World are huge draws, but Sea World also has massive parks in Orlando and San Diego, while The Alamo is primarily a regional attraction).

Old 11-30-2020, 08:44 PM

1,683 posts, read 978,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I knew about the 4th ward but didn’t put the history of the two together. Good to know. So basically, River Oaks got separated through gentrification?
Not sure if you are being serious or not, but “no” River Oaks did not get separated through gentrification. Honestly, 4th Ward and River Oaks do not abut each other. The AA cemetery mentioned by LP is not near River Oaks. I assume he is referring to Olivewood Cemetery. He may be confusing that with the Jewish cemetery on Allen Parkway just east of Shepherd.

I’m not even sure River Oaks is the wealthiest neighborhood in Texas. Highland Park in Dallas I believe takes that prize.

Last edited by SanJac; 11-30-2020 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: W to E

Old 11-30-2020, 09:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,956,815 times
Highland Park is probably the wealthiest city and River Oaks is probably the wealthiest neighbourhood.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Not sure if you are being serious or not, but “no” River Oaks did not get separated through gentrification. Honestly, 4th Ward and River Oaks do not abut each other. The AA cemetery mentioned by LP is not near River Oaks. I assume he is referring to Olivewood Cemetery. He may be confusing that with the Jewish cemetery on Allen Parkway just east of Shepherd.

I’m not even sure River Oaks is the wealthiest neighborhood in Texas. Highland Park in Dallas I believe takes that prize.
Average home price in river oaks is still slightly higher. Also with higher popularion. Could change with the high rise boom there though. Which will raise the value on the individual homes but not on the overall neighborhood.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 11-30-2020 at 10:18 PM..

Old 12-01-2020, 12:16 PM

5,583 posts, read 4,871,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

Actually the cemetery is tucked into the neighborhood, really quite close to Backstreet Cafe. I don't know if it has a name.

River Oaks and 4th Ward never did abut each other, but the separation is not far as PS had implied with the earlier more sweeping statement. It's roughly what, one and a half miles from Shepherd to Taft streets?

The Southampton neighborhood is similarly close to the Almeda corridor.

To avoid derailing the thread (which is about San Antonio), I think it's fair to say that Houston's higher end neighborhoods have traditionally been a bit more proximate to lower income non-Anglo neighborhoods than in Dallas and maybe San Antonio as well.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Actually the cemetery is tucked into the neighborhood, really quite close to Backstreet Cafe. I don't know if it has a name.

River Oaks and 4th Ward never did abut each other, but the separation is not far as PS had implied with the earlier more sweeping statement. It's roughly what, one and a half miles from Shepherd to Taft streets?

To avoid derailing the thread (which is about San Antonio), I think it's fair to say that Houston's higher end neighborhoods have traditionally been a bit more proximate to lower income non-Anglo neighborhoods than in Dallas and maybe San Antonio as well.
1 mile is a lot especially these days. If in many places including Houston and Dallas, you can simply cross a street and be in an entirely different neighborhood with an entirely different vibe and character, 1+ mile makes it well separated. And I suppose the gentrification of 4th Ward made it more separated (that was an actual question btw. Not a sarcastic one)

Old 12-01-2020, 12:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,956,815 times
Quote:

Regarding San Antonio, I don't agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas