Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,702 times

Advertisements

I'm a professor and I have a job at the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley. There are no other plausible options for the coming year. I'll be working between the Brownsville and Edinburg campuses.

Being one of the most heavily Hispanic areas in the country, I'm unsure what to expect as a White non Spanish speaker. Will my daughter face discrimination for looking different at school? Are we going to stick out everywhere we go? Is it likely we'll encounter people who don't speak English, or are most bilingual? What advice would you give to a non-Hispanic looking to move to this area?

That said, what areas should we look at? What school districts are preferable? Our budget is $410k or if moved down to $340k we can afford private school if nessessary. Lastly my wife's job is online but she'll be in Brownsville once a week.

Note:
My wife and I are from the Northeast and have been living in San Marcos for the past year. I also spent some time in Houston. We are both Jewish but practice quite casually and would only want to attend synagogue around major holidays.
*This is the only job offer that was within an hour of one of my wife's job offers. So yes, we have to move to the RGV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 12:55 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
I lived there for several years and I'm not Hispanic. It was fine. Kids find reasons to pick on one another so no one can guarantee your daughter won't get some guff, but I'd say that when it comes to bullying around there, race is usually ammo, not the trigger, if that makes sense?

I would recommend starting Spanish lessons now, if you intend to try to be a real part of local community or stay long term...most people speak English too, but Spanish greases a lot of wheels socially. Tejano Spanish is way easier to follow because it's so Spanglishy so a little investment in developing the language can go a long way. Stuff like being able to pronounce names correctly and make nice with abuelitas will make a good impression. I found it to be a comparatively easy place to meet people and make new connections - compared to other parts of the US, people are pretty gregarious and open.

Unless you're ice blonds, pale redheads, or ebony-complected, you won't stand out all that much physically.

One thing to bear in mind is that it's a distinct cultural region, not just Mexico North or America SW...many families have been in the area since before it was part of the US. So whatever you already know about Texas, Mexico, the south, Hispanic cultures, etc., suspend preconceived ideas and be adaptable, yeah?

Anyway, others may have different opinions, but that was my experience.

Last edited by Frostnip; 12-10-2020 at 01:23 AM..

Old 12-10-2020, 02:10 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I lived there for several years and I'm not Hispanic. It was fine. Kids find reasons to pick on one another so no one can guarantee your daughter won't get some guff, but I'd say that when it comes to bullying around there, race is usually ammo, not the trigger, if that makes sense?

I would recommend starting Spanish lessons now, if you intend to try to be a real part of local community or stay long term...most people speak English too, but Spanish greases a lot of wheels socially. Tejano Spanish is way easier to follow because it's so Spanglishy so a little investment in developing the language can go a long way. Stuff like being able to pronounce names correctly and make nice with abuelitas will make a good impression. I found it to be a comparatively easy place to meet people and make new connections - compared to other parts of the US, people are pretty gregarious and open.

Unless you're ice blonds, pale redheads, or ebony-complected, you won't stand out all that much physically.

One thing to bear in mind is that it's a distinct cultural region, not just Mexico North or America SW...many families have been in the area since before it was part of the US. So whatever you already know about Texas, Mexico, the south, Hispanic cultures, etc., suspend preconceived ideas and be adaptable, yeah?

Anyway, others may have different opinions, but that was my experience.
I hear most US born people over there speak English overwhelmingly (as in, very overwhelmingly) to each other. Which is in line with my experience in heavily Hispanic areas elsewhere in the country.
Boomers on City Data see tan people and assume that they are monolingual Spanish speakers

Old 12-10-2020, 05:10 AM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
You will be fine. I understand where you are coming from, but some of your questions are grating, especially your last comment about how you have no choice but to move to RGV. Ugh, poor you. Just be sure to treat people the way you want to be treated, keep your attitude in check and you'll be just fine. It's a new adventure and a chance to immerse yourself in a new culture.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:41 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but some of your questions are grating, especially your last comment about how you have no choice but to move to RGV.
lol, I think that post got edited between after I started responding. Or I missed a few of those bits, including that one. I mean, I can sympathize somewhat - I myself was transferred for work and it wasn't my first choice for an assignment, being far away from my friends and family and in a state I'm not crazy about (sorry, Texas). But I was open to the experience and it was great. Acting like you have to hold your nose to take a good university job in a pleasant tropical part of the country is not a good look. Calls for either an attitude adjustment or a change of plans. If the latter is not possible, the former is the only way forward.

If this is your family's first time living in a community where you're a visible minority compared to the surrounding population, make the most of it as a learning experience, eh?

Old 12-10-2020, 08:10 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Quote:
Will my daughter face discrimination for looking different at school?
I'm sorry but yes, she probably will. It happened to me and my school was far more Anglo than any on the border.

Quote:
Are we going to stick out everywhere we go?
Everywhere? No. Some places? Yes. You might have people walk up and touch your daughters hair. They aren't trying to be rude when they do this but it's a good way to remind you that you don't really belong.
Quote:
Is it likely we'll encounter people who don't speak English, or are most bilingual?
The people who can't speak English down there are mostly Mexican nationals. I think most people are bilingual but lots of young Mexicans also can't speak Spanish.
Quote:
What advice would you give to a non-Hispanic looking to move to this area?
Pick the school carefully and don't expect too much. At the same time, if you are unfamiliar with the area, you may be surprised to find it's better than you are expecting.

Quote:
That said, what areas should we look at?
North Mcallen or Northeast Mission
Quote:
What school districts are preferable?
If you have to do public, then Sharyland. Your daughter probably won't be bullied there too much. This is the preppy public school. Otherwise, there are private and charter options that are pretty good. I think that is what most of the white people do.
Quote:
Our budget is $410k or if moved down to $340k we can afford private school if nessessary. Lastly my wife's job is online but she'll be in Brownsville once a week.
You will be able to afford quite a nice house.
Quote:
Note:
My wife and I are from the Northeast and have been living in San Marcos for the past year. I also spent some time in Houston. We are both Jewish but practice quite casually and would only want to attend synagogue around major holidays.
You are unlikely to find many fellow Jews around.
Quote:
*This is the only job offer that was within an hour of one of my wife's job offers. So yes, we have to move to the RGV.
I think you may be pleasantly surprised with what you find.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:14 AM

I get that the op was perhaps a little harsh but now y'all are doing the exact opposite. There is a reason the young people that are able to all leave for San Antonio or Houston. The valley definitely has problems.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:27 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
$410k is a massive budget for housing there. Maybe tone it down a little, do private school and buy some extra insurance as people are lawsuit-crazy there and will absolutely target you if you look slightly ostentatious.

Young people have been leaving there mostly for Houston the past 60+ years. I have some family from there who are all in their 70s, descendants from bilingual gringo farmers who are long gone. They left in the ‘60s and never returned. That place is more messed up than Beaumont/Port Arthur.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:43 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
For $410k, you can buy a mansion on acres of land down there or you can buy an even bigger mansion in a subdivision.

If youre working in Brownsville and dont mind a commute, you could try living on South Padre Island. But if thats too much for you, definitely the Water Walk subdivision on the North side of McAllen. IMO, its the nicest part of the whole Valley outside the Island itself.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
That place is more messed up than Beaumont/Port Arthur.
Let's not get carried away here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas