Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 10:34 AM

32 posts, read 34,847 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Midland TX from Houston and as we start our house hunting, would like to get your thoughts on schools. We have 3 kids (10, 7 and 4) and currently do public school in Spring Branch in Houston. We have heard mixed comments about public schools in Midland, some colleagues saying that if we move there we need to do private, others recommending Greathouse and Fasken (The gifted school too, but that would be something to apply for later). Also considering St. Ann and Midland Christian for private school if needed (good comments of Trinity too, but very expensive).
Any experience you can share is greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 06:25 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,936,131 times
Private

Old 01-12-2021, 08:46 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,247,858 times
Hello OP,
private is your best bet.I grew up attending the public schools in Midland and i graduated a long time ago and the schools have gone way downhill and the academics are terrible.The schools are overcrowded.I would send my kids to Midland Christian if i were to select a private school here.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:47 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
Article in Bloomberg today that the city of Midland won't fund its own infrastructure which has resulted in the public schools there being among the worst-funded in the state of Texas.

Though the Permian Basin gas and oil share work is going gangbusters the needed workers don't want to move there because it just plain sucks. People have to drive 5 hours to get to any decent city.

Some excerpts:

- The schools are among the worst funded in the state. The hospital is recruiting high schoolers instead of nurses to draw blood. There’s so little to do on weekends that Tall City Brewing Co. named its honey blonde ale “Five Hour Drive” because that’s what it takes to get somewhere fun. Welcome to Midland, Texas, America’s de facto shale oil capital — and the last place many workers want to live.

- Part of the issue behind the city’s underinvestment is a small-government, fiscally conservative ethos that pervades the politics of West Texas, ... “My patience is tested by the number of employees who have told me working for Diamondback was the best job they ever had, but they are moving because another destination offers them more than what they are receiving in Midland,” Stice wrote in an op-ed in the Midland Reporter-Telegram..."

You get what you pay for . . . truly sad that people won't invest in the education of their own children, dooming them to mediocrity in a global economy based on high tech . . .
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:44 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,902,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
[url="https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2023-05-03/urban-infrastructure-funding-critical-to-support-texas-shale-oil-jobs?srnd=premium"]
People have to drive 5 hours to get to any decent city.
Many residents of the Permian Basin often drive two hours north to Lubbock for shopping & entertainment. If I-27/127 would ever get extended south, both the Petroplex and the Hub City would benefit enormously.

Hard to disagree with much of the rest of the article, based on what I’ve seen elsewhere.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:24 PM

15,089 posts, read 7,138,928 times
Quote:
Article in Bloomberg today that the city of Midland won't fund its own infrastructure which has resulted in the public schools there being among the worst-funded in the state of Texas.

Though the Permian Basin gas and oil share work is going gangbusters the needed workers don't want to move there because it just plain sucks. People have to drive 5 hours to get to any decent city.

Some excerpts:

- The schools are among the worst funded in the state. The hospital is recruiting high schoolers instead of nurses to draw blood. There’s so little to do on weekends that Tall City Brewing Co. named its honey blonde ale “Five Hour Drive” because that’s what it takes to get somewhere fun. Welcome to Midland, Texas, America’s de facto shale oil capital — and the last place many workers want to live.

- Part of the issue behind the city’s underinvestment is a small-government, fiscally conservative ethos that pervades the politics of West Texas, ... “My patience is tested by the number of employees who have told me working for Diamondback was the best job they ever had, but they are moving because another destination offers them more than what they are receiving in Midland,” Stice wrote in an op-ed in the Midland Reporter-Telegram..."

You get what you pay for . . . truly sad that people won't invest in the education of their own children, dooming them to mediocrity in a global economy based on high tech . . .
When I had to choose between moving to Midland and Bakersfield 20 odd years ago, the saying was that Bakersfield is 2 hours from everywhere, Midland is 4 hours from anywhere. That still holds.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:04 PM

669 posts, read 356,725 times
Quote:

Some excerpts:

Lubbock is considered a fun place by Midlanders and its only 2 hours north of Midland.

Old 05-07-2023, 11:44 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,662,098 times
Quote:
Though the Permian Basin gas and oil share work is going gangbusters the needed workers don't want to move there because it just plain sucks.
My employer (not oil/gas/petrochemical) has a facility in Odessa, and we are always begging for workers there. We offer a huge incentive pay for employees to transfer there from another location, and no one will take it. It’s just not a good place to raise a family, and the housing market is ridiculous.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:52 AM

5,581 posts, read 4,838,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
My employer (not oil/gas/petrochemical) has a facility in Odessa, and we are always begging for workers there. We offer a huge incentive pay for employees to transfer there from another location, and no one will take it. It’s just not a good place to raise a family, and the housing market is ridiculous.
I did some work on housing in Odessa, and both the housing market and the perceptions of the schools had the impacts of keeping folks from taking jobs there. If they did, the often left their families behind elsewhere in TX or wherever, and would go home on weekends.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:26 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,173,287 times
A friend of mine moved her family from Midland to Fort Worth during the COVID lockdown because the education and healthcare were so horrible. Even though her daughters were supposedly in advanced classes in Midland they were way behind when they moved to Fort Worth ISD. It was so bad that even though her older daughter, who was a senior and finished school in Midland, got into UT her daughter did a year at Austin Community College first to catch up.

My husband is in oil and gas and we've refused every job offer that required a move to Midland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas