Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 01:10 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times

Advertisements

Daniel nailed it for the Beaumont area. I grew up in Port Neches. It was OK. I now live north of Beaumont about 50 miles and it seems there are new housing starts and new residences everywhere out here. Don't know if that is reflected in the stats. The Golden Triangle is going to be pretty static for growth and unless jobs draw you there's a lot of reasons not to live here. High on that list is humidity, rain, potential hurricanes and low aesthetics.

Now for those that can get work in the refineries there's lots of money to be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 02:08 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
The US is experiencing it's lowest birth rate since WW II, which led to the 'boom' that is also fading. I just don't see enough population growth to make any of the smaller towns grow. Commuters will only go so far.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:11 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'd say as a general rule, any city within a 2 hour drive of DFW or Houston is most certainly poised for some level of growth.
May not apply to Houston. Beaumont resembles Peoria, IL now. Most Golden Trianglers and Louisianans have relocated to Houston and make an occasional visit on weekends/holidays back.

One could say that Houston is in Western Louisiana. The professional class of New Orleans has largely relocated here for Energy industry jobs. Many blue-collar roughnecks hail from Lafayette or points south or west. Louisiana permeates the culture of SE Texas.

In the other direction, 2 hours takes you to Austin (and add another half-hour to San Antonio). It's still pretty rural inside the Triangle--the Painted Churches try to bring a little civilization and culture to that part of Texas.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:39 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
What are the "Painted Churches"?

I wouldn't call it rural as far as the majority population. Just doing a quick summary in my head I think of the 2 counties Orange could be considered the most rural but still 85% within city limits and in Jefferson County it's around 90%. These live on city lots ... not too rural. We're talking 1/3 to 1 acre lots. Can't get too rural like that with someone living so close you can hear them fighting, making love, or flushing their toilets. Now, I live in a rural county and it's very different.

I might add there's a helluva lot of culture in the Golden Triangle. May not be snobbish tea sipping type culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas