Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 11:37 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times

Advertisements

Some of the names y'all are listing are not difficult at all...you just need to brush up on your Spanish!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 12:13 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
Place names are historical and have a conventional pronunciation when spoken in English. Sometimes the pronunciation of the name retains features of the original language, but many times they do not. I’m fluent in Spanish, but I don’t pronounce the town of Amarillo as I would in Spanish. One example is the town of Medina. There is one in Texas pronounced “medeena” as you would in Spanish, and there is one in Minnesota pronounced “Medeina or med-EYE-na” with a very Fargo-style long “i”. I pronounce it depending on how the locals pronounce it, not the etymology of the word.

Other languages hijack English words the same way. When I’m in South America they use chicle for gum(Chiclets), polo for t-shirt, and Quaker for oatmeal. In each case they pronounce the word as you would in Spanish. When I speak English I pronounce the word as I would in English, and when I speak Spanish I use the Spanish pronunciation.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:58 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,231,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Other languages hijack English words the same way. When I’m in South America they use chicle for gum(Chiclets), polo for t-shirt, and Quaker for oatmeal. In each case they pronounce the word as you would in Spanish. When I speak English I pronounce the word as I would in English, and when I speak Spanish I use the Spanish pronunciation.
I think is because that is the correct way, you pronounce as you read in your language.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
How about Lamesa?

Old 08-05-2021, 06:42 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,176 times
Palacios....

Old 08-05-2021, 07:37 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Quote:
Place names are historical and have a conventional pronunciation when spoken in English. Sometimes the pronunciation of the name retains features of the original language, but many times they do not. I’m fluent in Spanish, but I don’t pronounce the town of Amarillo as I would in Spanish.
I'll give you that there are some notable exceptions here and there, like Amarillo, but Texas is a border state that is FULL of Spanish speakers and Spanish influence, so most towns in Texas with Spanish names tend to retain the Spanish pronunciation. If you know Spanish but have never been to some of these Texas towns with Spanish names, you are better off just playing it safe and pronouncing it the way it's pronounced in Spanish than trying to break it down and butcher in English and possibly be COMPLETELY off.

Quote:
One example is the town of Medina. There is one in Texas pronounced “medeena” as you would in Spanish, and there is one in Minnesota pronounced “Medeina or med-EYE-na” with a very Fargo-style long “i”. I pronounce it depending on how the locals pronounce it, not the etymology of the word.
LOL, well that's because it's MINNESOTA, which is a VERY long way from the heavy Spanish linguistic and cultural influence of Texas, so that only makes sense.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:48 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,019,893 times
Refugio by a long shot. For the life of me I don't know how people get RU-FEER-IO out of RE-FOO-HEE-O

Old 08-10-2021, 04:55 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Two Yankee traveling salesmen were passing through Mexia and decided to stop at the local DQ for a quick hamburger. The pronunciation of the town came up while they were eating and the one salesman said it was pronounced "Mex e ah". The one other salesman said he had thought so too but swore he had overheard someone say it with the sound of hay in the word, sounded something like "Ma hay uh". Well, neither one of them could figure out why that would be, so decided they needed to ask a native.

They finished up their meal and on the way out they stopped by the counter and one of the guys asked the girl working there "how do you pronounce the name of this place?" She stared at him for about half a minute, then slowly said, " . . D_A_I_R_Y . . Q_U_E_E_N . . "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas