Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:14 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,289 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I overlooked it. He was a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:55 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I am confident that the top 10 personalities of all time in Texas are 10 of the folks who post on here. Don't ask me to say which 10!
If I'm not in that list, James, I will be one mad Texan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by futexan View Post
U certainly fit in the list of the 10 kindest commentators...
Now, relax, futexan. I knew what he was talking about, and it wasn't bad. It's just a little secret, that's all. It's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Greetings fellow Texans!

Been outta pocket for the last week, but this is a great thread!

Before giving my own Top Ten, let me preface by noting what some others -- especially the OP -- have said. That is, just because one disagrees with that particular individuals lifestyle and/or way of thinking, doesn't mean they don't fit the qualification of being "Texas Personalities".

Anyway, in no particular order:

1. Sam Houston (don't agree with his stance on secession, but he predicted the outcome, and no one did more for the state)

2. Lyndon Johnson (his example quintensentially backs up my opening remarks. A Texan and proud of it, but started the country down the road to a welfare state and did it, far as I am concerned, for at least as much personal reasons as any ideal of good)

3. Bob Wills (and the Texas Playboys). King of "Western Swing"

4. Willie Nelson (I am not a great big fan of his voice, but his brand of country music is Texas)

5. Kinky Freidman (what can I say)

6. Barbara Jordan (Much as I hated her politics, she made a mark on Texas and the South...first black woman from an Old Confederate State...and had an oratory style in her early days that made even her opponents in the legislature grudgingly give her respect!)

7. J. Evetts Haley (author, and true, proud, Texan. Once declared, when running for governor, that he would use the power of the Texas Guard to turn back federal troops at gunpoint if they ever dared to force the dictatorial mandates of the Earl Warren Supreme Court by their occupying public schools in Texas. Gotta admire his guts!)

8. Ross Perot (oh man. The essence of a sucess story, but did nothing but screw up when he entered the realm of being anything but a billionaire who employees a lot of people and makes them in turn a good living. Yet ran for president and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...which in retrospect was probably a good thing. An autocrat who didn't have a clue. Started Texas down the road of public school testing and the result is a mess that will never be cleaned up. )

9. Clyde Barrow, Bonnie Parker, and Raymond Hamilton (they matched Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd. But seriously, this may even be another thread, as they were NOT the "Robin Hoods" --of the "SouthWest" as the movie of '67 portrayed them..but they DID make an impact).

10. ME (ok...just seeing if y'all was payin' attention! *grins*)

Rebby, that's a great list, my friend, even if there are 12 people. And some that we never thought about, too. You can never have enough.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 PM

195 posts, read 657,960 times
Chester A. Nimitz, Auddie Murphy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas