Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

edward, i just got back from a trip to Eagle Pass for my cousin's graduation. The population is around 22,000 and humidity was about 40% or less. It's a bustling area, but still quite small considering it's located in the middle of nowhere. Nearby is the Nueces River and you can tube/kayak down the river..looked pretty nice. The city looks like a good place to raise a family and/or find a loyal woman to settle down with, however, MANY PEOPLE COME AND GO, hardly anyone stays--they trade the small town-feel of Eagle Pass for the big city lights out east (San Antonio, Houston, etc). But knowing this kind of lifestyle, I can bet you that many will return to raise families of their own, especially if you're hispanic. My cousins were talking about how they used to go across to Mexico but lately things have been out of control there and they no longer do so. Eagle Pass is a very laid back town. Personally, it's not my type of place (I prefer small towns, yes, but not ones that have no diversity like EP), but the most redeeming quality of the EP is that everyone knows everyone and help's each other out. My cousin's teacher lives down the block, his band instructor lives 2 doors down, the high school was half a mile away, the whole subdivision was on the football team, etc. You get my drift. A good way to grow up--but only if once plans to live and die there. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 01:30 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,238 times
Del Rio is bigger than Eagle Pass, but Eagle Pass is where all the growth is happening due to the maquiladoras and NAFTA. Also Piedras is more than twice the size of Acuna. The biggest negative for me is the climate. E.P. has what is known locally as the 100 100's. At least 100 straight days of 100+ degree heat in the summer. And it isn't Arizona dry heat. Often when it's 97 or 98 in San Antonio it's 104 to 107 in E.P. And I've seen 112 there. The other serious minus for me is getting hassled by the Border Patrol. If you want to travel inland then get used to Border Patrol checkpoints. I'm all for them doing their job but some can be real jerks. Have you considered the Rio Grande Valley?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM

50 posts, read 193,175 times
that sounds cool, kayaking down the river. It was nice when i went as well. It seemed like a nice place to go as well. The weather was nice when I went.That's what I am looking for, someplace to settle down and raise a family. My aunt told me the same thing that many people come and go, however, she has been there but she has not LIVED there in like 20 years. My mom has not been there longer than that, that's why i wanted the opinion of someone that had just went there or someone that lived there. I did go to San Antonio and a guy was rude to me because I wouldn't take his cab and then he refused to tell me where the river walk was, i had to finally stop and ask a cop and that was after asking 3 people. I like how everyone knows everyone down there, i make friends easily, so I am hoping that will help me. I am hispanic and I do speak spanish, so that is a big plus. I think my biggest challenge will be to find a job there...

Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM

Default rgv

hi van, yes i did think about the valley more recently, mcallen, however, i have never been there or to that mexican side so i do not know what the people are like. I have been to eagle pass and piedras negras, but i spent more time in mexico obviously, i was also considering el paso but i'm not too sure, it is a big city and first, i'm not patriotic(fort bliss is nearby) and second i hear too many bad things about juarez

Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 AM

Hi Edward, sorry this has taken so long, working long hrs. I haven't been to the Valley since '98 but from reading on the 'net appears that it has developed quite a bit. While there are alot of people in the Valley they're spread out over a fairly large area. McAllen was the biggest town when I was there. It's still one of the cheapest metro areas in the country and finding work should be much easier than Eagle Pass. And it's mostly Hispanic. You won't find the Border Patrol to be as intrusive there either. It get's hot and humid, possibly the most humid place I've lived in. But the heat isn't as bad as Eagle Pass, and the winters are very mild. Plus you can enjoy South Padre Island just about any day of the year. The Mexican side is much more populated. And as I recall the region has a high % of young adults. It's not perfect, but I would choose the Valley over most metro areas of Texas. I'm more of a small town fellow myself, like to visit big cities but don't like living in them. That's a plus of the RIo Grande Valley, there are smaller towns between the big towns that are still close enough to enjoy the amenities. Eagle Pass isn't all bad, but having compared towns in the region I think Del Rio and Uvalde have more to offer. If I could afford it I'd live in Kerrville and take a scenic drive to San Antonio once in awhile. Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:51 PM

thanks for your response van, i did look into McAllen and it does have way more people than eagle pass. The only thing that really bothers me is that I only have one shot at this. I can't afford to make any mistakes. I am going to have some "emergency money" just in case things don't work out in eagle pass. I am still a little confused as to what i want to do, because i know that the job issue will be the biggest struggle i will have there. I'm also concerned about people because to be honest, i can't stand most of the people that I live around now. Most of them are ignorant, hill billy types and while i know racist people are everywhere, they seem to LOVE to make their home in southeast texas, and I'm referring to ALL races when i say that. I just don't understand why some of these "small towns" are not booming like mcallen or some of the other larger towns. I guess in a way I am also a little biased because I have family from Eagle pass as well and my grandmother was from there too. I guess I will really have to sit down and make a decision. I just hope I make the right one...

Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 PM

Believe me there's quite a bit of racism all over Texas. Guess that's the downside of cultures colliding. I was very interested in retiring in Mexico and hoped to learn alot living on the Border. I got turned off by the racism I encountered, primarily in Eagle Pass. But I've encountered too many rednecks further inland to want to spend the rest of my life here. Don't get me wrong, I've met great people everywhere in Texas. The folks in McAllen were great. Probably the best mixing of cultures I've seen was in San Angelo. But not the best place to find a job. On the other hand most whites in the Valley are Mid-Westerners down for the winter or fulltime retirees. They tend to be pro Rio Grande Valley and are made very welcome by the locals as they are a big part of the economy. If you are comfortable with limited amenities, an isolated location, a harsh climate, and most likely working in a warehouse or fast-food joint if you can find a job, Eagle Pass is it. The Valley has much more to offer. And if you want to find a good paying job, Houston is probably your best bet. But only you know what'll make you happy. Hang in there!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:26 AM

See and that's the thing that bothers me, i went to eagle pass and it was cool, but there weren't really alot of jobs and that kinda turned me off. Other than that, the people were nice and I did not have any problems. Because of that, i started to consider Mcallen/Reynosa area but I've never been there and I don't want to just blindly jump and then realize that I made a big mistake. I guess I will have to really think about it. The city that I am from has more than Eagle Pass I will not lie, but the rednecks here make living in this city atrocious at best. I mean what's the point of having stuff if you don't enjoy the place where you do it at, you know? And as for Houston, I did want to move there years ago, but now it's gotten way too ghetto....

Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Houston? Way too ghetto? Not in too many areas. Have you seen the crazy rebuilding all around downtown? All the towns just around it lately? Even the 5th ward is better than it used to be. The 3rd ward used to be no mans land and now its full of condos ans lofts.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:03 PM

i don't know, the city there is nice and it's always relaxing to get away considering it's only 90 miles away but i used to want to live there, and i know jobs are good there, but I guess that moment for me has passed. I guess as time changed, my desires and wishes changed with it...maybe it has gotten better, i knew a couple of people from 5th ward and they advised me to stay away if i wanted to keep what was most valuable to me...my life..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas