U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:43 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,368,824 times

Advertisements

Want to figure out if a city is for you? Its real simple..

Walk into a Wal*Mart, or other popular store of the same calibur and you'll know everything you need to.

Race can be broken down by the percetage of the people shopping. Respect, Kindness, attitude can be figured out by the staff and how they greet you, how they meet your needs. Respect and Friendlyness can also be figured by how other shoppers behaive and act in the store, and how their kids act while with the parents.. and how the parents watch the children while shopping.

Economy can be figured by the prices.. ok maybe a stretch here, but its worked for me so far.

Want to know the poor section of a city, look for 3 things.. Dollar stores, Liquer Stores, and Pawn Shops. If there seems to be a huge amount of one or all three, then your in a low income section of a city.

I have also noticed that New Car lots and well tailored streets seem to be in the upper areas of the city. Used car lots are in mid to low income areas of a city.

Crime is a tad harder to figure out, but every police station in every city I have ever gone too, is more than happy to tell you the troubled areas, and help a new resident find a safe place to live. But some signs are Tagging, unkept buildings, dirty streets, bums and loiters.. all are signs of a high crime area. But even high upper class areas have crime problems, cause they have what the thieves want. So like I said.. call, or walk into a local police station and speak with a desk sgt, they are your best resource on crime.

But really, most everything you'll need to know about a city can be figured out by a 1-2 hour trip to a local Wal*Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Status: "how many braincells did drugs take from you today?" (set 25 days ago)

566 posts, read 1,222,991 times
Walk into a Wal Mart here and you'll think your'e on mars... I always wonder.. where do these weird looking (fat) people come from.. I never see them anywhere else...it reminds me of deliverence on steroids
Then I realized they come out of the mountains from up to 100 miles away....Californians are weird anyway.. then add bucky teeth backwoods and you can imagaine what they look like...oakies wearing tie dye meets inbreeding

Your suggestion is a good one... traveling around the US and walking into a couple of Wal marts helped me KNOW I didnt want to live anywhere near that community

Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 AM

LOL.. thats funny. Ok Maybe Cali does fall under these laws of evidance.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:36 AM

13,743 posts, read 5,490,849 times
That's an interesting observation concerning Wal Mart. I have friends that use both Wal Marts and grocery stores as a gauge of where to live/shop but their criteria is just a bit different. They will check the parking lots to see if the customers are conscientious about putting the shopping carts into the cart holders that are sporadically placed throughout the store parking lot (these "holders" tend to exist at every Wal Mart or larger grocery store). If customers are too lazy or could care less about moving them to the appropriate spots and out of the way of the cars and parking spaces, then they swear that that same behavior will manifest itself as rudeness, disrespect or apathy within the store or in the surrounding areas making it a less desirable and less enjoyable place to live or shop.

They haven't convinced me that it's a tried and true method but they absolutely swear by it! I have to admit that I do pay more attention to the parking lot now when manuevering around looking for a free and hopefully clear spot to park!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:56 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,911,266 times
Too funny. Though I don't think Walmart is the best place to gauge such. They do tend to attract people from ALL OVER. You will have people that travel across their city/suburb to go a walmart in the neighboring city/suburb for whatever reason. I think SuperTarget or one of the regular grocery stores would be a better comparison. Most people are not going to travel 15-20 miles from home to run to the grocery store.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Awesome.. I always take my cart back to one of them shopping cart stalls. Not many others do here.. But thats a very valid point and one I will add to my therory.

Almost all the Wal*Marts here are Super centers and are the grocery store.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,911,266 times
I ALWAYS take my cart back to the thingy in the parking lot. But if you notice it is not the rule in most walmarts to return ones cart. The biggest problem being that wallyworld does not put that many of the return places out in their lots. One of the many reasons why I don't shop there. Have not set foot in one in YEARS much less driven thru the parking lot of one.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:17 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,728,401 times
maybe if more folks would not drive in circles trying to find THE closest spot to the entrance, to park, and would walk a few feet to return the cart instead of just leave it there, people might lose some weight!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:22 PM

LOL Belle, does my fat guy offend you.. My wife worked hard to put it there, and keep me off the market.. hahaha. Im only kidding.. I always park in the north forty or off to one side and walk in.. please dont follow my trend you keep looking for that one close spot.. I kinda like it out there by myself.. no dents or dings in my truck, and I can get out of the parking lot faster.. so please dont park out there with me. =0)

Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 PM

13,743 posts, read 5,490,849 times
I'm more of a Kroger or Tom Thumb kind of guy instead of Wal Mart, but I definitely make the effort to roll that buggy over to the "buggy stall" when I'm done unloading.

We'll go visit extended family in Orlando and shop at Publix but you literally cannot drive through the lot b/c of all of the rolling carts left haphazardly everywhere. It got to the point that the grocery store would give patrons coupons or raffle tickets for deli food if you took the time to physically bring the cart back into the foyer of the store!! That didn't work so now it's back to the old congested way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas