U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2021, 06:33 PM
 
21 posts, read 13,254 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Which is the safest Texas border town to cross over into Mexico for people who want dental work, prescription drugs, and that sort of thing? Progresso? Hidalgo? ? ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2021, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
54,433 posts, read 76,085,828 times
Reputation: 120649
Progreso. They have great, clean, modern clinics too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2021, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
7,364 posts, read 4,034,038 times
Reputation: 10531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Eater View Post
Which is the safest Texas border town to cross over into Mexico for people who want dental work, prescription drugs, and that sort of thing? Progresso? Hidalgo? ? ?
Nuevo Progresso. They have a ridiculous number of pharmacies on Av. Benito Juarez.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2021, 05:33 AM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
6,054 posts, read 6,431,302 times
Reputation: 6072
Nuevo Progreso, it is safe and virtually impossible to get lost in since most everything is on a single strip which starts right at the border.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2021, 07:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,392 posts, read 5,838,962 times
Reputation: 5368
Avoid Reynosa, Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Juarez. Oddly enough, Juarez has become much safer as of late. Not long ago, it was the most violent city in the world. I vote Nuevo Progreso as the safest, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2021, 04:44 PM
 
21 posts, read 13,254 times
Reputation: 26
Default Thanks everybody who replied

I will feel safer when I make that trip knowing what I know now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2021, 05:09 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,817 times
Reputation: 15
City of Weslaco and Mercedes are the closes cities to Progresso. Progresso is very safe (remain on the main street and don't go pass the strip club). Their main income is from tourist so the merchants themselves will turn know theft into the police. In addition you will find some military personnel around. It is $3 to cross(walking) into Mexico and $0.50 to cross back to the US. Parking in the US side is $2. I recommend parking and walking. Parking in Mexico side will cost you and to cross back there is always a waiting line. Plenty of dentist and pharmacies. A cleaning is $25. They deal in US Dollars so no need to do currency exchange. Matamoros is not bad IF you know where you are going! Matamoros is not as safe and requires you to drive into Mexico.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2021, 08:07 AM
 
1,958 posts, read 642,197 times
Reputation: 2636
Should we be trusting dentists in a broken down, corrupt narco state?


Sure, the work is cheap....but what happens if something goes wrong?


Don't get me wrong, I like the IDEA of this (being a thrifty sort that I am), but some things are cheap for a reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2021, 09:01 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
5,734 posts, read 4,638,641 times
Reputation: 6545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Should we be trusting dentists in a broken down, corrupt narco state?


Sure, the work is cheap....but what happens if something goes wrong?


Don't get me wrong, I like the IDEA of this (being a thrifty sort that I am), but some things are cheap for a reason.
Honest question, here's an an honest answer.

Absolutely you can trust most of the dentists and it's pretty easy to identify the good ones. The ones with prominent signs, a storefront, English speaking staff, clean facilities etc. Many of them employ US labs to fabricate their crowns, bridges, dentures, that sort of thing.

A lot of people go across for their dental care including me. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went to a dentist on the US side. Why would I? Many people travel to the area just for dental care, including from across the US.

I just had some work done a couple of months ago. 2 root canals, 2 crowns, a cleaning for a total of $800. All with a full warranty on their work. How much would that cost here?

Their work is as good or better than any US dentist I've been to. I'm not the only one to say that either. The prices have gone up some understandably. It used to be $150 per crown. I had a bunch of them put in a few years ago. All still going strong. They also do implants by the way.

These are the guys I go to. There are many more.

https://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/...ainless-dental
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2021, 09:09 AM
 
1,958 posts, read 642,197 times
Reputation: 2636
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Honest question, here's an an honest answer.

Absolutely you can trust most of the dentists and it's pretty easy to identify the good ones. The ones with prominent signs, a storefront, English speaking staff, clean facilities etc. Many of them employ US labs to fabricate their crowns, bridges, dentures, that sort of thing.

A lot of people go across for their dental care including me. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went to a dentist on the US side. Why would I? Many people travel to the area just for dental care, including from across the US.

I just had some work done a couple of months ago. 2 root canals, 2 crowns, a cleaning for a total of $800. All with a full warranty on their work. How much would that cost here?

Their work is as good or better than any US dentist I've been to. I'm not the only one to say that either. The prices have gone up some understandably. It used to be $150 per crown. I had a bunch of them put in a few years ago. All still going strong. They also do implants by the way.

These are the guys I go to. There are many more.

https://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/...ainless-dental

Wow...that is less than half price!


I guess since here in Houston, I am around 7 hours from the border....I have not heard of many here going down there, but at those prices, I bet lots of people travel from Houston or farther for work.


Factoring in gas and a hotel on the US side...still way cheaper than my dentist in Houston with good insurance coverage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top