Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:36 AM

1 posts, read 12,412 times

Advertisements

McAllen and Brownsville are the 2 bigger cities here in the valley. I would choose a smaller city between the two. (Harlingen and La Feria) I have lived my whole life here, except the 4 years I moved away to college. Yes perhaps your pay will be less than the bigger cities like Houston, SA or Dallas but the cost of living is also way lower.

I always have something to do here and do cross the border frequently. It's a great place to live and raise a family if you have one. Yes its probably best if you spoke Spanish and if you don't what the hell, it never hurts to learn another language.

Make sure you do all your research before you decide to move and let me know if you have any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 03:13 PM

14 posts, read 109,987 times
arias100,

I am Valley born and raised.......I have to let you know that there is plenty of opportunities for a IT consultant. McAllen is the border town to Mexico. Mexico where all the maquilador's are located. They usually have a branch on this side of the border. Please feel free to go to the McAllen Chamber of Commerce, and the McAllen Economic Development Corporation websites. They will have plenty of information.

I would recommend to areas for you to consider would be McAllen and Mission. I would consider North McAllen and the Sharyland Plantation area in Mission. You should visit thier website as well.

If you want specifics regarding familiar shopping and dining feel free to e-mail me. Many blessing on your new venture.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 14,991 times
I am an RN who is being wooed by a recruiter in Texas. There are some openings in the McAllen area with really great sign on bonuses, but after reading some of these posts I'm having second thoughts. I also have an offer in Roswell New Mexico, and have an offer from a local hospital here in Illinois. This is a great time to be a nurse, with opportunities all over the nation, so I'm not complaining or anything, but I want to make sure that I take the right job, in the right place. My husband and I are ready to relocate, as we are getting sick of the cold winters here in Illinois. Our children are grown, so at least we don't have to worry about school systems when making our choice. But I am trying to make sure that my choice is based on all of the relevant factors, not just a big sign on bonus. I want to continue my education, so a hospital that offers tuition reimbursement is high on my list. Ideally I'd like to live closer to the ocean, which makes McAllen more attractive than Roswell or Central Illinois. Wherever we go I only plan on staying for about 2 years at the most, so real estate prices aren't that big of a deal. I am planning on starting travel nursing in a year or two, so I know I can tolerate some crappy conditions in the meantime, but I don't want to live in an area that has a super high crime rate. I have lived in Denver in the past, and worked with a lot of Mexicans, legal and illegal, so I have no prejudice in that area. I tend to take people as I find them, and judge them as individuals. A lot of the illegal immigrants I've known are some of the finest, most honest and hard working people you could ever hope to meet. They just want to live in a place where they can raise their family safely, and know that through hard work and perseverance they'll succeed. I'd say that's a pretty universal desire and I can't think less of someone who would sneak into a different country in order to do whats best for their family.
I am concerned about the quality of the health care system in McAllen, and about the nurse to patient ratio. Does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge in this area? A huge bonus and a great hourly wage doesn't mean jack if the working conditions are horrible and unsafe. Also, how far is it to the coast? What kind of apartment rentals are available? All info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:37 AM

130 posts, read 873,383 times
A lot of the illegal immigrants I've known are some of the finest, most honest and hard working people you could ever hope to meet. quoted by tat nurse

If they were honest they would come to this country legally!! I am sure they are nice people, but if you want to be accepted then come to this country by legal means!

As for Roswell, I lived about 45 minutes from New Mexico and could NEVER find anything I wanted to do bad enough to go there.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 12,408 times
There are various cities that offer numerous opportunities.

From South padre Island to laredo.

As the previous post said that you must speak spanish, I am sorry to disagree. I have been here 12 years and still have not had the need to learn spanish.

Edinburg is a college town that is located in the northern area of the Rio grande valley.

Alamo, of course is a small, centrally located town with large business and a continuing growing population.

I suggest you visit the Rio Grande Valley partnership and take a look for what city may best suit your needs.

the website is:
http://valleychamber.com

enjoy.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
take the Roswell job. i am an ER RN who just moved to South Texas in October for big money...........the only reason i took the job is the money, and i am staying here for my contract because of the excellent bid shift money. then i am high tailing it outta here to west texas
email me if you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat_nurse View Post
I am an RN who is being wooed by a recruiter in Texas. There are some openings in the McAllen area with really great sign on bonuses, but after reading some of these posts I'm having second thoughts. I also have an offer in Roswell New Mexico, and have an offer from a local hospital here in Illinois. This is a great time to be a nurse, with opportunities all over the nation, so I'm not complaining or anything, but I want to make sure that I take the right job, in the right place. My husband and I are ready to relocate, as we are getting sick of the cold winters here in Illinois. Our children are grown, so at least we don't have to worry about school systems when making our choice. But I am trying to make sure that my choice is based on all of the relevant factors, not just a big sign on bonus. I want to continue my education, so a hospital that offers tuition reimbursement is high on my list. Ideally I'd like to live closer to the ocean, which makes McAllen more attractive than Roswell or Central Illinois. Wherever we go I only plan on staying for about 2 years at the most, so real estate prices aren't that big of a deal. I am planning on starting travel nursing in a year or two, so I know I can tolerate some crappy conditions in the meantime, but I don't want to live in an area that has a super high crime rate. I have lived in Denver in the past, and worked with a lot of Mexicans, legal and illegal, so I have no prejudice in that area. I tend to take people as I find them, and judge them as individuals. A lot of the illegal immigrants I've known are some of the finest, most honest and hard working people you could ever hope to meet. They just want to live in a place where they can raise their family safely, and know that through hard work and perseverance they'll succeed. I'd say that's a pretty universal desire and I can't think less of someone who would sneak into a different country in order to do whats best for their family.
I am concerned about the quality of the health care system in McAllen, and about the nurse to patient ratio. Does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge in this area? A huge bonus and a great hourly wage doesn't mean jack if the working conditions are horrible and unsafe. Also, how far is it to the coast? What kind of apartment rentals are available? All info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 AM

130 posts, read 873,383 times
Bellestaroftexas,

I am one whom has lived in both south and west TX. I'd take the Valley over west TX ANY day of the week!!

Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanS View Post
Bellestaroftexas,

I am one whom has lived in both south and west TX. I'd take the Valley over west TX ANY day of the week!!
And I feel exactly the opposite. The valley is pretty, but it's HOT and HUMID. The winters are great; the summers are a nightmare.

I left in 1976 (lived in McAllen, school in Edinburg)...and will never set foot in the valley again, if I have anything to say about it.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 AM

14 posts, read 109,987 times
Red face RN's concerns!

Dear RN,
Wow, lots of negative to read................I thought I would give you some answers to your questions with sincere honesty. I have had the pleasure of being born and raised in the Valley for all of my thirty something years.

McAllen or Harlingen would be my preferences for the larger cities in the Valley with the best amenities. Harlingen is just twenty minutes from South Padre Island and McAllen is forty five minutes. Mission also has some wonderful affordable housing at the Sharyland Plantation.

As for the hospitals, I do not any experience with that being I am not in the nursing industry. I have a friend who is a RN and she says it has a lot of bonuses and the work environment is good. She has always had good shifts, supervisors, and helpers.

As for poverty and driving conditions........I have seen worse! Poverty is in every city and race. It is basically in the eye of the beholder.........it is these people that help the successful live in comfort by providing services like house keeping, nannies, gardners.

The Valley has great international culture, cuisine, and plenty to do regardless of your age. The Border provides inexpensive drinking, eating, and shopping.

Hope this helps,

Valley Born & Raised!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM

33 posts, read 166,323 times
Most of the violent crime is drug on drug. Almost all the kidnappings and murders are a result of low level drug activity. Although the local McAllen media continues to be threatened by Mexican drug cartels every time they do a story on drugs violence in Reynosa.

While there are many reasons not to move to the Valley; fear of violent crime should not be one of them. It is overall a pretty safe place to live, but there are a lot of home break-ins and car theft.

Then again, there are guarded and gated communities all over McAllen for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas