U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,783 times

Advertisements

My husbands job is relocating us from Pennsylvania to north east Texas. For his job he mainly works remote but must be within an hour of Dallas. We are not city people so prefer to live in an area that is more rural or has a small town feel. I have horses that I would like to bring once we are settled so prefer to live in an area with western horse culture preferably with barrel racing and/or roping events. Open to keeping horses on my property or at boarding facility that will also help me meet people.
We also have two young kids under the age of 3. One just started riding so it is important to be in an area he could get lessons if he chooses to continue and possibly participate in youth rodeo, 4h etc. also would appreciate the town having a good school system for when they enter school.
any advice on towns that could include some of these things would be great. Thank you in advance!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 01:59 PM

9,555 posts, read 12,032,267 times
Since you need to be within an hour of Dallas you may want to post in the Dallas subforum.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:51 PM

3,021 posts, read 4,634,214 times
Post your "post" in the Tyler Sub-Forum, you COULD live on the west side of Tyler and sorta be within an hour of the easter suburbs of not Dallas proper.

I just googled and found at least five facilities about horses, found these by entering horses near me. It showed abcde or 1,2,3,4, mostly ON the NW side 15-20 miles out from city limits OF Tyler.

good luck,

horse training and horse facilities near me This facility about 15 miles TOWARD Dallas, would likely lead you in all directions about your needs.

http://www.texasrosehorsepark.com/facilities.html

Public schools would like be Van I.S.D. and Brownsboro I.S.D. The REST IMHO, would be from the suburbs of far east Dallas, IF you want to stay with huge trees and the vegatation o NE.Texas.

Have you visited Tyler and areas toward Dallas? Beautiful horse country to the N.W. toward Dallas.

Tree leaves are beautiful this very moment, they will "last" maybe another week. We had about a two-week early frost, leaves are turning fast. Sorry that most people on CD don't know we have quite a bit of color inside Tyler, oaks and other trees have been planted in the last 50-100 years. They blend in nicely with the pine trees that are left. Far more pines less hardwood to the east of Tyler, actually on the eastern outskirts are far more pines than hardwood. A nice blend.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 11-11-2021 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-11-2021, 06:21 PM

11,189 posts, read 24,462,900 times
Texas Rose is a lovely eventing facility, but they do not do barrel racing or roping. It’s a totally different style of riding.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:15 PM

3,083 posts, read 1,932,791 times
Maybe look in the Grandbury/Glen Rose/Weatherford/Stephenville area. I would guess that is the most western part near Dallas.... Hence it being west of Fort Worth which is west of Dallas lol.

But this is not a joke. It really does have that cowboy western culture moreso than east of Dallas which is more similar to the deep South.

I used to visit Stephenville quite a bit and that town and Dublin are very cowboy. I remember seeing somebody practicing his roping at a park. I never see that in San Antonio or the small towns down here.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:41 PM

738 posts, read 632,740 times
Might help to refine an hour from Dallas. If it's an hour from Dallas the city then you are really looking at the suburbs. If its an hour from the outskirts of the developed area then you have more options. If its an hour from a specific job location a highway exit or intersection where it is would be helpful.

An hour can be a limited area there because of traffic.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:43 AM

8,732 posts, read 4,954,545 times
Getting clear on the work hours (which would tie in with traffic), would help. Then others here could chime in on how far away (in different directions, N, NE, E, SE, etc) that might equate too.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:18 AM

560 posts, read 426,046 times
You posted this previously on the Dallas sub-forum. The advice still stands...there is very little that is 1 hour from downtown Dallas that would be considered rural, horse country, with good schools and for around 300K (I think you wrote that on your other post). The DFW area just isn't that cheap anymore.

I think you said your husband would mostly be in the Northern suburbs - i still think that areas like Melissa or Aubrey might be okay. (No idea about schools out there).

Tyler and East Texas might be good options, but Tyler to Plano is 107 miles. Tyler to Dallas is 98 miles.

West of FT Worth is definitely horse country, but still much farther than an hour to Dallas (especially Northern areas). I've also heard its not super cheap out there, but it is nice.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:33 PM

12,850 posts, read 8,042,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac012 View Post
My husbands job is relocating us from Pennsylvania to north east Texas. For his job he mainly works remote but must be within an hour of Dallas. We are not city people so prefer to live in an area that is more rural or has a small town feel. I have horses that I would like to bring once we are settled so prefer to live in an area with western horse culture preferably with barrel racing and/or roping events. Open to keeping horses on my property or at boarding facility that will also help me meet people.
We also have two young kids under the age of 3. One just started riding so it is important to be in an area he could get lessons if he chooses to continue and possibly participate in youth rodeo, 4h etc. also would appreciate the town having a good school system for when they enter school.
any advice on towns that could include some of these things would be great. Thank you in advance!!

Look down Highway 175 South. You have several locations that may fit, like Seagoville.

Old 11-21-2021, 04:16 PM

5,760 posts, read 10,972,733 times
Something to note with young kids.

SCHOOL. All Texas Schools are NOT Equal.

Unless you are planning on Private (which also takes some planning) -- You will need to shop the school districts (and therefore the location) with some serious diligence.

Jobs come and go. You may be stuck with a school district for some years.

In general, that may bring you in a little closer -- but not as close as Dallas proper.

What is your budget? -- not to pry, but to recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas