U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 11:14 AM

11,309 posts, read 24,780,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Well I don't have to go there but would like to at least venture out to that part of the state PLUS I was a big fan of Friday Night Lights. I don't have to go there but figured it was the only town/city that I can think of out that way.
If you’re not going out there during high school football season, there’s no reason to make the trip. Hotels are often crazy expensive due to lack of housing for the oilfield workers. And as mentioned before, there’s nothing to see there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 02:27 PM

479 posts, read 316,206 times
I think a lot of posts here might discourage some travelers from visiting Texas. They make it sound like an unappealing place to visit than what it is.

Texas has a lot to offer in terms of sightseeing.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:51 PM

2,985 posts, read 5,190,729 times
Quote:
Thanks for responses so far. Hiking is out of the question now that I think about it. I guess my thing is if there was a relatively short hike/walk to some interesting thing I'd be okay with that but literally saddling up with water/gear and miles of hiking is not what I would be doing. I just know some places have a relatively short hike to some awesome place (Maybe less than a mile). I'd be good with that.
On your drive back from OKC (which IMO should be another trip ... nothing is "close" in Texas) to SA I'd plan my route thru the Hill country (avoiding I-35 between DFW and SA due to heavy traffic) and try to make it to Fredericksburg and Enchanted Rock. Enchanted Rock has a short hour hike to the top. Do it early and the heat is no issue. It is a unique rock formation with some cool indian lore accompanying it. Also near Fredericksburg is Luckenbach,Tx of Waylon Jennings musical fame. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZeYDBY4fw). This drive is west of Austin.

I know you're not going to the forested region of East Texas but don't worry too much about mosquitoes. Unless there's been a lot of rain there are no mosquitoes unless you are in a known swamp area. I live in E Tx and we swim (pool) all summer with rarely a mosquito seen and I'm in a wilderness area. Now if I venture down to our local creeks there is a potential if it has been wet. The coastal parts of Texas is where real mosquito issues are.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:24 PM

479 posts, read 316,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
On your drive back from OKC (which IMO should be another trip ... nothing is "close" in Texas) to SA I'd plan my route thru the Hill country (avoiding I-35 between DFW and SA due to heavy traffic) and try to make it to Fredericksburg and Enchanted Rock. Enchanted Rock has a short hour hike to the top. Do it early and the heat is no issue. It is a unique rock formation with some cool indian lore accompanying it. Also near Fredericksburg is Luckenbach,Tx of Waylon Jennings musical fame. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZeYDBY4fw). This drive is west of Austin.

I know you're not going to the forested region of East Texas but don't worry too much about mosquitoes. Unless there's been a lot of rain there are no mosquitoes unless you are in a known swamp area. I live in E Tx and we swim (pool) all summer with rarely a mosquito seen and I'm in a wilderness area. Now if I venture down to our local creeks there is a potential if it has been wet. The coastal parts of Texas is where real mosquito issues are.
What would be the best towns to visit in East Texas? Any interesting ghost towns? East Texas is the part of the state that I'm not very familiar with yet.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:33 AM

17,313 posts, read 23,457,274 times
First of all ... have fun, should be a fun trip

- I think driving to OKC is a waste of time, OKC looks to me like any other midwestern city.
- There's not much between Houston and Dallas
- I would change the OKC trip for ... driving from Houston up I59/69 to Jefferson, TX. The drive is absolutely beautiful through East Texas. Nacogdoches is one of the oldest cities in Texas and has a very nice downtown with a tourist center. Jefferson is also one of the oldest towns in Texas.
- From Dallas to San Antonio you have 2 options ... driving down I-35 (sucks) or doing a more interesting drive down 281. Not that much to see there, but nicer than I-35 highway madness.
- I think you would enjoy visiting Austin. I love driving from Cidercade Austin to Trail of lights park to Toro Canyon Rd to County Line BBQ and from there up to Mt. Bonell.
If you like hiking, you are going to love Austin.
- I think Fredericksburg is way overhyped.
- In San Antonio, I really like missions, the alamo is cool because is close to the Riverwalk, but I like the other missions better. Make sure to have "breakfast tacos" in San Antonio.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:17 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,700,462 times
Yep, skip Oklahoma city, like above come thru East Texas especially Nacogdoches, a town of 30,000 due to counting 12,000 students at SFA University. But you would get a "feel" for much of East Texas. Go on up thru East Texas on to Kilgore Oil Museum, where the great East Texas Oil Field, biggest in its day, discovery around 1930, a replica of a night scene of Kilgore in its oil boom days, oil directs are still on some corners of downtown, the town of about 10,000 pop.

Actually, the Rose Capital of America is in Tyler less than 30 minutes West of Kilgore. Tyler, 100,000 plus has the largest municipal Rose Garden in America, and a ZOO The Caldwell Zoo, google Tyler, see what I mean, the zoo attracts many from Dallas as a day getaway. Lot of places to eat in Tyler on your trip. Finally, the older area with Historic District Street Signs, is the Azalea District, (Brickstreet District) google the Azalea Trails in late March-early April, thousands come from DFW but NOT crowded. Roses start in late May to early June, huge Rose Garden. Tyler and this part of East Texas have mostly hardwood trees yes some evergreen to go with a few, to some, large pines, gently rolling hills.

Actually maybe come up from Houston on I-45 thru Huntsville go north towards Crockett, a town of 6,000 with town square some shops head north to Palestine, cross scenic Lake Palestine, three crossings, to Tyler to Kilgore, to Jefferson, it is a very small town, then return South thru Marshall to Nacogdoches, worth the trip, on back to Houston Intercontinental.

I truly think going to Odessa, for what you want to see, would be a disappointment. East, Central, and West Texas are all considerably different. Best of luck to you. When are you considering coming our way?

This should cover some details: https://visittyler.com/things-to-see...istoric-homes/

For you, as a single guy is The Grove, Ricks on the Square, Jakes, and Where's Rufus Sports Bar.

https://thegrovetyler.com/https://www.facebook.com/RicksOnTheSquare/

Last edited by Mark Senior; 01-31-2022 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-31-2022, 02:10 PM

6,054 posts, read 6,432,902 times
Since you're into ballparks and visiting both Ranger's and Astro's park, triple A team OKC Dodgers have a nice little ball part at Bricktown. Might be worth a visit.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:18 PM

17,313 posts, read 23,457,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Since you're into ballparks and visiting both Ranger's and Astro's park, triple A team OKC Dodgers have a nice little ball part at Bricktown. Might be worth a visit.
That's a hell of a drive to go to watch a triple A team.
I would rather go to see the double A San Antonio Missions

Old 01-31-2022, 03:34 PM

15,391 posts, read 11,197,430 times
Quote:
Well I don't have to go there but would like to at least venture out to that part of the state PLUS I was a big fan of Friday Night Lights. I don't have to go there but figured it was the only town/city that I can think of out that way.
If you are going to go to Midland Odessa you need to go the extra couple of hours down to Alpine, Marfa, Ft. Davis.

If you want to drive by Ratliff stadium and Odessa Permian it isn't really out of the way. I suppose you could see the Bush family residences and with the money in Midland there are probably some good museums and I'm sure there are some Permian Basin type museums to learn about the oil and stuff. Ratliff stadium and Odessa Permian are easy enough to see.

But Alpine, Marfa, Ft Davis are really cool little towns in the Big Bend. Worth taking in. They are also cooler in the summer because they are 4500 to 5000 feet or so.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
31,455 posts, read 51,880,475 times
Consider a 1 day loop from SA.

For old towns and history...
Boerne, Luckenbach, Fredericksburg, Comfort, Bandera ("Old Spanish Trail" Or Camp Verde while you are close (Not open after 3PM) either is great for Breakfast or lunch). Hiking and State Parks on this loop too.

SA Botanical Gardens is nice, as would be biking the Mission Trail. I have not been to the SA Zoo.

Lots to do within a day's drive of SA (save plenty of time for this).

If it's really hot (likely)... the float trips as recommended might be nice.

We've had great games following 2A instead of 3A.

If there is a boring stretch... (Dal > SA) do it at night!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas