Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 08:35 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Walmart has such a strong hold on East Texas is probably one reason. Every sizable town has one. Although there are HEBs in East Texas, it's only a handful (one in Lufkin, one in Carthage, etc.), and Beaumont/PA has a couple too.
There are small HEB's in East Texas (Livingston and Lumberton)just not the large Plus store . Yes Bmt has a Plus as well as Nederland (Pt. Arthur). I'll shop Beaumont sometimes even though it is an hour drive.

And yes Walmart is everywhere, There's a chitty one 12 miles from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 05:47 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Walmart has such a strong hold on East Texas is probably one reason. Every sizable town has one. Although there are HEBs in East Texas, it's only a handful (one in Lufkin, one in Carthage, etc.), and Beaumont/PA has a couple too.
I don't think it has anything to do with Wal-Mart. East Texas is home to other grocery stores like Super 1 Foods and Brookshire's which could explain why there isn't an HEB in cities like Tyler or Longview YET.

On Bucee's though I just don't get it. It's not like East Texas doesn't have similar gas stations to Buccee's. I think it'll be a huge hit if they had just one location in East Texas.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:56 AM

869 posts, read 318,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Agreed (although I’m sure SE Houston is quite proud to be the home of NASA). But regardless, Buc-Ee’s could have a location somewhere near Conroe or Huntsville.

They didn’t put a location directly near south Dallas nor North Houston but instead one right in between. Maybe it’s a real estate. Who knows.

There actually IS a location off 45 right outside of Dallas now. After that, there's no other until Madisonville.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:33 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Wal-Mart. East Texas is home to other grocery stores like Super 1 Foods and Brookshire's which could explain why there isn't an HEB in cities like Tyler or Longview YET.

On Bucee's though I just don't get it. It's not like East Texas doesn't have similar gas stations to Buccee's. I think it'll be a huge hit if they had just one location in East Texas.
Thats true I forgot about Brookshire Bros. Quite a few in east Texas. There is one in Katy I used to go to all the time growing up.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
I dunno. For some odd reason...NE Texas and SE Houston just do not get too much cool stuff. There are no HEBs in East Texas and few in the SE area in Houston. Maybe there is just not a demand for it or the traffic to warrant placing a Buc-ees there...not sure.
I know why there are no HEBs in NE Texas - it's because Brookshires main office is here and there's a sort of "gentleman's agreement" between HEB and Brookshires that they won't build or open stores in the other's "territory."

Tons of Brookshires and Super Ones and Fresh Markets here though.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

You are right about the Brookshire's thing in NE Texas.

I stop at Bucee's on my way to or from Dallas regularly, but I agree - I wish they'd open one on I-20 in NE Texas. Maybe that's just too close to the one near Dallas, I don't know. I mean, we have some really good convenience stores (large ones) around Tyler on I-20 so maybe that's enough for now, who knows?

Old 03-15-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Thats true I forgot about Brookshire Bros. Quite a few in east Texas. There is one in Katy I used to go to all the time growing up.
Brookshire Brothers and Brookshires are two different entities. Just so you know.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:24 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Growing up, I first saw them in Baytown growing up on trips to Louisiana and back from Houston. They fairly quickly grew to other Texas markers and the cult following multiplied.
You sure that was Bucees in Baytown growing up, and not Buckys? Bucees didn’t open in Baytown until 2014, unless you were still “growing up” then. Bucees started in Lake Jackson in the 80s and stayed pretty much in southern brazoria county until they opened the Luling store in the early 2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Considering their main office is in Pearland area there are not but a couple of H-town area big stores while the MetroMess is saturated.
Their corporate headquarters/“main office” is on 2004 in Lake Jackson.

Quote:
Nah. Theres 5 super stores. Katy, Baytown, Waller, Lake Jackson and Texas City. The only metro area that has as many is DFW which makes sense because they’re the two largest metros.

But yeah, there are those smaller concept stores that you mention (though still large for a c store) where they saturate those towns in the southern suburbs of Houston.
I’d hardly call the “big Bucees” (there are 3 Bucees in LJ) in Lake Jackson a superstore, compared to the other locations you mentioned that are multiple times larger, but it’s definitely bigger than the dozen or so other normal sized Bucees in that area.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:30 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I just saw a Buc-ee's being built somewhere in East Tennessee, I think it was by Knoxville.

Buc-ee’s Sevierville TN opening date: Massive travel center coming soon

At the time of this writing, Buc-ee’s has 38 stores in Texas. And Buc-ee’s continues its expansion throughout the Southeast. Stores are also now open in Alabama, Florida and soon in South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee.

The Tennessee location will offer the same Buc-ee’s staples as its Texan counterparts such as fresh bbq, homemade fudge, their popular Beaver Nuggets, jerky, kolaches, fresh pastries and of course, their famous Buc-ee’s Brisket Sandwich.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:16 AM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
You sure that was Bucees in Baytown growing up, and not Buckys? Bucees didn’t open in Baytown until 2014, unless you were still “growing up” then. Bucees started in Lake Jackson in the 80s and stayed pretty much in southern brazoria county until they opened the Luling store in the early 2000s.

Their corporate headquarters/“main office” is on 2004 in Lake Jackson.

I’d hardly call the “big Bucees” (there are 3 Bucees in LJ) in Lake Jackson a superstore, compared to the other locations you mentioned that are multiple times larger, but it’s definitely bigger than the dozen or so other normal sized Bucees in that area.
I was in high school in 2014. For some reason I thought I remembered seeing that location further back.

Buc-Ee’s has been shifting their headquarters operations to Pearland for a few years now, BobTex is right.

The Lake Jackson location is smaller than Katy, Baytown but it’s still large enough to be one of their super stores. Not all of their “travel centers” are as big as those Katy sized. It’s also their only store that has a full service coffee bar with baristas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas