Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 08:29 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Are you saying that people have to get a permit from the government?
Oh, FFS! please Dopo, you are smarter than this. Are we to start calling you Dopey instead for using bandwidth for such nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 11:22 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
Unjustified and unlawful killing is murder - e.g. the taking of an innocent pre-born life and then labeling it 'abortion' or 'reproductive healthcare'
Who decides if it's "Unjustified and unlawful"?
The government?
You are giving the government (politicians) the power to decide with a warrant, trial, executive order, etc. whether it is murder or killing.

Murder charge dismissed against HPD officer in botched Harding Street raid - Aug. 2021

During a press conference in January, Gallegos' lawyer, famed defense attorney Rusty Hardin, insisted his client did not know the "no knock" warrant was being executed under faulty information. Therefore, Hardin said, Gallegos acted in defense of fellow officers and himself when they came under fire that day.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:31 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Abortion laws don't stop abortion, they just stop poor people from getting abortions.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I do believe abortion is killing a life, and I am not in favor of it. But I am also not in favor of having an additional 70 million humans on this planet raised by (at least one) parent that didn't want them. I don't pretend to know what the correct solution is.
How about supporting programs to prevent unintended pregnancies to begin with? Look at Colorado. They started a program that provided free birth control to anyone, including teenagers without parental consent. You know what happened? Teen pregnancy rates plummetted. So did abortion rates, and that's despite Colorado having pretty easy access to abortion and people coming to Colorado from out of state to get an abortion. Graduation rates also increased.

The knee jerk reaction is, "Well, who's paying for it? It's not really free." And that would be correct. But for every $1 spent on the program, the state has saved over $4 in social services. So it costs less (a lot less) to have the program than not have it. Yet despite it's success, Republicans still fight every year to end the program. And Texas still insists on abstinence only sex education.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:26 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
How about supporting programs to prevent unintended pregnancies to begin with? Look at Colorado.
I’ll tell you the response I’ve got from many conservatives:
“Government shouldn’t pay for condoms and vasectomies, people should pay for that”

Old 03-15-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I’ll tell you the response I’ve got from many conservatives:
“Government shouldn’t pay for condoms and vasectomies, people should pay for that”
What they fail to understand is that we DO pay for it - in the form of increased social services to the families and children born into situation which are not the best. Refer to my response about the program in Colorado, which has paid for itself more than four fold.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:47 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
What they fail to understand is that we DO pay for it - in the form of increased social services to the families and children born into situation which are not the best.
Why do you think that people fail to understand that?

Should I assume that you fail to understand the fundamental premise of the pro-life position? It fits with what you wrote very well.

"Life begins at conception" isn't just a bumper sticker slogan. It's a scientifically valid statement regarding the origin of a human life. From zygote to embryo to fetus to newborn to toddler to teen to adult to elderly and the ones I missed in between - we're always advancing toward another stage in our development as biological creatures. That journey starts the moment the sperm penetrates the egg and ends when we die. Intentionally and unnecessarily ending that life prematurely is murder.

It's a simple position with irrefutable logic, and doesn't rely on a religious foundation.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why do you think that people fail to understand that?

Should I assume that you fail to understand the fundamental premise of the pro-life position? It fits with what you wrote very well.

"Life begins at conception" isn't just a bumper sticker slogan. It's a scientifically valid statement regarding the origin of a human life. From zygote to embryo to fetus to newborn to toddler to teen to adult to elderly and the ones I missed in between - we're always advancing toward another stage in our development as biological creatures. That journey starts the moment the sperm penetrates the egg and ends when we die. Intentionally and unnecessarily ending that life prematurely is murder.

It's a simple position with irrefutable logic, and doesn't rely on a religious foundation.
So you support ending fertility and IVF programs too? They destroy tens of thousands of embryos every year, yet I don't see any pro-life groups protesting those clinics nor do I see state governments making them illegal. Why is that?

Why can't I take out a life insurance policy on my fetus? If I miscarry at 7 weeks, why is no death certificate issued? Why can't I claim my fetus as a dependent on my taxes? I mean I've been pregnant twice, and those doctors appointments, missed work, supplements, etc. add up. Why don't I get a tax break? Why aren't pro-life people advocating for those things.

Also, why do scientific / medical professionals like The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and The American Medical Association support legalized abortion?

Old 03-19-2022, 10:42 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
If people were serious about ending abortion birth control would be free. It’s a way to control women. It’s a individual decision. I was a social worker working with abused children and it was heartbreaking. It’s a decision that should be made by the woman and her doctor. Women get raped, some babies have severe disabilities that upon birth will result in constant pain until they die. This is why making laws can’t cover all possible scenarios.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
Why can't I take out a life insurance policy on my fetus? If I miscarry at 7 weeks, why is no death certificate issued? Why can't I claim my fetus as a dependent on my taxes? I mean I've been pregnant twice, and those doctors appointments, missed work, supplements, etc. add up. Why don't I get a tax break? Why aren't pro-life people advocating for those things.
--------------------------------
a fetus is not a human being ?
a death certificate is for a human being,not a fetus?
can you claim a fetus on your tax return>
you can try,a PA farmer for 16 years claimed Jack and Jill as dependents until the donkeys died.
doctor appointments,drugs can be tax deductible if you itemise,these days it would be hard to do so.
as for life insurance policy for your fetus,you may want to call life insurance co and ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas