Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 03:29 PM

23 posts, read 23,441 times

Advertisements

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my message! I am currently living in Indianapolis, looking to move somewhere with more moderate and constant temperatures. The weather and barometric pressure changes constantly and drastically here, and that gives me sinus migraine headaches regularly. Also my brother likes to swing outside, and he can't do it half the year here because it's too cold.

Looking for two things:

1) Somewhere with temperature that doesn't go lower than 60 and higher than 90s. 30 - 50% humidity would be perfect. Also realize that might not exactly be possible, so the closest thing to that is what I'm looking for.

Am considering Andrews, Alpine, Mentone, Fort Stockton, Marfa, Pecos, Monahans, and Fort Davis because the data says they have a Jan high of 60, but was wondering if they also get very cold? Also considering San Antonio, Gardendale, and Kermit. Are these places anything close to what I described above?

2) Am also interested in places with lower temperature and higher humidity. Like 60 degrees and 80% humidity, for an extreme example. So if there's anywhere like that please let me know because I really like that weather as well.

Thank you!

Last edited by TooColdinIndiana; 05-23-2022 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Including city names
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 07:05 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
I'll bite....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdinIndiana View Post
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my message! I am currently living in Indianapolis, looking to move somewhere with more moderate and constant temperatures. The weather and barometric pressure changes constantly and drastically here, and that gives me sinus migraine headaches regularly. Also my brother likes to swing outside, and he can't do it half the year here because it's too cold.

Looking for two things:

1) Somewhere with temperature that doesn't go lower than 60 and higher than 90s. 30 - 50% humidity would be perfect. Also realize that might not exactly be possible, so the closest thing to that is what I'm looking for.

Am considering Andrews, Alpine, Mentone, Fort Stockton, Marfa, Pecos, Monahans, and Fort Davis because the data says they have a Jan high of 60, but was wondering if they also get very cold? Also considering San Antonio, Gardendale, and Kermit. Are these places anything close to what I described above?
2) Am also interested in places with lower temperature and higher humidity. Like 60 degrees and 80% humidity, for an extreme example. So if there's anywhere like that please let me know because I really like that weather as well.

Thank you!
The places you mention will get cold occasionally during winter.
During the summer they are really, REALLY hot. As in regularly near or over 100 degrees.
30-50% humidity is not a reasonable expectation most any of the year in *any* of these places.

There is very little "moderate" or "constant" about the temperatures in any of these places.

I have way over 50 years experience in and around these places, and will tell you that they are absolutely NOT what you are looking for.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:13 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I agree that there is nowhere in Texas that has the weather you’re looking for. You may have luck finding that weather in Southern California.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:45 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Hawaii?

Old 05-24-2022, 07:54 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Mexico City may meet your criteria. It's at 7,000 feet altitude and this may help on your temp criterias which are quite a hoop to jump through. Maybe San Diego, Kalifornicate. You have listed quite challenging criterias.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:43 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
In the U.S., you're probably limited to coastal Southern California or the dry parts of Hawaii. Bring your checkbook.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:01 PM

23 posts, read 23,441 times
Thank you for all your answers! It's hard to tell what places are like just from reading info online, so I appreciate the help.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:26 PM
i2r

17 posts, read 9,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdinIndiana View Post
Thank you for all your answers! It's hard to tell what places are like just from reading info online, so I appreciate the help.
If you can afford waterfront on the Gulf of Mexico, temperatures in winter may be slightly more moderate. However, Texas gets very toasty in summer and a bit cool for short times in winter. By the Gulf you will have humidity issues, but may avoid snow and freezing. It's a big state, and going down the state, even down the Gulf without prior experience is going to be tough. I strongly advise visiting a few places in Texas if you are still considering a move this July or August, and then again in December or January. If you spend a week at each extreme, you will better understand what it is like.

In many ways Florida may have better overall temperatures. We moved from the Northeast to Chambers County on waterfront, and it is different. The winter wasn't bad, no snow, no frost, the area we are in did not flood during Andrew (a famous recent hurricane and a benchmark for flooding), but summers are humid and very hot. Garages get humid, floors in non climate controlled structures can become slippery due to humidity.

The people generally are nice, property taxes are a problem, if you are disabled or over 65 and homestead, it could help. 100% disabled veterans are 100% property tax free (except for some types of school districts, but even there the taxes are very low).

Old 06-21-2022, 04:41 PM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Mexico City may meet your criteria. It's at 7,000 feet altitude and this may help on your temp criterias which are quite a hoop to jump through. Maybe San Diego, Kalifornicate. You have listed quite challenging criterias.
Probably too much air pollution in The Federal District.

_______

I'd second taking a look at SDCA and several cities along the Central Coast as well.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:03 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2r View Post
If you can afford waterfront on the Gulf of Mexico, temperatures in winter may be slightly more moderate. However, Texas gets very toasty in summer and a bit cool for short times in winter. By the Gulf you will have humidity issues, but may avoid snow and freezing. It's a big state, and going down the state, even down the Gulf without prior experience is going to be tough. I strongly advise visiting a few places in Texas if you are still considering a move this July or August, and then again in December or January. If you spend a week at each extreme, you will better understand what it is like.

In many ways Florida may have better overall temperatures. We moved from the Northeast to Chambers County on waterfront, and it is different. The winter wasn't bad, no snow, no frost, the area we are in did not flood during Andrew (a famous recent hurricane and a benchmark for flooding), but summers are humid and very hot. Garages get humid, floors in non climate controlled structures can become slippery due to humidity.

The people generally are nice, property taxes are a problem, if you are disabled or over 65 and homestead, it could help. 100% disabled veterans are 100% property tax free (except for some types of school districts, but even there the taxes are very low).
FTR averages can be deceiving. Also I think Gulf coastal humidity amplifies the cold. I handled 20 degrees in Bangor Maine (whose predominant weather comes from the west and south west) better than 40 degrees in SE Texas (with predominant weather off the Gulf).

Neat little tidbit about a recent 4" snow on Galveston Island on Christmas Eve. https://www.weather.gov/hgx/climate_holidays_christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Probably too much air pollution in The Federal District.

Well, he didn't mention air quality in his criteria. Yes, Mexico City is heavily polluted generally but we are shipping our Clean Renewable Energy air down to them and to China . As we all know that global atmosphere is shared!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas