U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 1,957 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the valley in a month. I have 3 AA children (MS, HS, Elem). I know that well over 90% is Hispanic ( not a issue at all) but wondering between Harlingen, Weslaco, or McAllen would there be a few other kids in school and activities like my children? Also we don’t speak Spanish but we are ready to jump in a learn along with the culture around us! other suggestions needed are what are the best traveling soccer teams in the area? Which town has the best sports programs and class options? Between the two schools mentioned above, which has the best special education program?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 08:45 PM

6,058 posts, read 6,439,052 times
Is AA Asian American or African American?

Old 08-23-2022, 10:34 PM

3,501 posts, read 2,202,453 times
Quote:
would there be a few other kids in school and activities like my children
Not sure what activities you are talking about but the answer is no. There will not be a lot of other black kids in any of these schools.

The area around north Mcallen and northeast Mission is nicest and probably has the best schools. Sharyland is probably the best public school district in the area, but there are also nice charter schools and private schools.

edit: I see the comment above and assumed you meant "African American" but if y'all are "Asian American" the answer is still no. It is a rare sight to see anybody who is not hispanic. White people are the second most common racial group but they still make up a very small percentage. If you are not hispanic people will probably stare at you or ask where you are from. Not necessarily in a bad way but like I said it is a pretty rare sight.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 1,346 times
Cannot say anything about Harlingen or Weslaco. Our AA friends' kids go to Sharyland, in my kids schools (public) in North McAllen are few either AA kids, of course not too many, both combined probably less than whites. Spanish is not the problem in my opinion, my kids are not bilingual, all education and instructions are in English, at least in the schools they attend. I remember in elementary school they were trying to push bilingual classes on us, but I refused. But again, north McAllen would be different than south. I cannot speak for other school district, mission, psja or Edinburg. I know Harlingen and Edinburg band programs are much better than McAllen, they most always perform well. All McAllen high schools football team are weak as well ...

Old 08-24-2022, 11:17 PM

My guess would be that Sharyland has the highest percentage of white, asian, and black students out of all the school districts.

Old 08-26-2022, 04:15 PM

1,958 posts, read 643,639 times
AA children?

Dang...awful young to be going to Alcoholics Anonymous. LOL

Old 09-06-2022, 11:51 PM

Sorry I meant African American children not Asian. I’ve see. AA be used in other posts and I understood it so I assumed most would too. My apologies!

Old 09-06-2022, 11:56 PM

Thank you for your help! I meant African American. Good to know that not being bilingual won’t be too much trouble in school. For sports I’m thinking of girls soccer, and boys basketball and football!!

Old 09-07-2022, 10:19 PM

You will find more difficulty not being bilingual around businesses but still shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas