Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 24,882 times

Advertisements

Since no one has yet to answer your question about schools in the Port Lavaca/Victoria area, I will try to help. I don't live and have never lived in those areas. BUT, I have lived in many places, as my husband is in the constructions field and we move to where there is work. I found a website called Melissa Data. It has many links to go to. You will need to sign up for a membership, but the basic membership is free. With the free membership, you can do up 50 searches a day. You can look up school districts, town demographics, all kinds of stuff. When looking up the school district, you can search by town name and state. When you get to the district you are looking for, if the school has a website, it is usually linked to the information provided for each school. I have used this site to find where I would live at in certain areas because is schools total teachers for the school and total kids. This gives you an idea of how many kids per class, etc. Most southern states are averaging 25 plus kids per class and this does affect the teachers ability to teach.

The exact website is Melissa DATA: Free Lookups

This might give you a little help where schools are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,173 times
i am moving to vicotia it seems like a nice town how is the crime rate

Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 18,565 times
Does anyone check in here anymore?

I am buying a lot in Alamo Beach and am concerned about the Alcoa plant and the
Formosa plastics plant - and all the polution they have caused.

1 out of 5 pictures I have seen are gloomy - overcast. No sunny skies.

Is it always like that there.

And is the acid rain killing all the plants and trees. I hope to be able to grow some
shade, but right now I don't even see any need for shade.

Are the blue bonnets living. Haven't seen a one in a picture.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I would suggest renting a place in Port Lavaca, and see how many times you are driving to Victoria, and how much fun it is to drive there. If you find that you're going there all the time for shopping, etc, you might as well live there. If not, then Port Lavaca is good enough. A lot of it will depend on how often your family needs to go to doctors, hairdressers, restaurants, etc.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,231 times
Smile Replyed to your mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbeachdogs View Post
Does anyone check in here anymore?

I am buying a lot in Alamo Beach and am concerned about the Alcoa plant and the
Formosa plastics plant - and all the polution they have caused.

1 out of 5 pictures I have seen are gloomy - overcast. No sunny skies.

Is it always like that there.

And is the acid rain killing all the plants and trees. I hope to be able to grow some
shade, but right now I don't even see any need for shade.

Are the blue bonnets living. Haven't seen a one in a picture.

Thanks

Port Lavaca is a great place to live and the plants do not harm the environment there is great weather and no acid rain and not many bluebonnets.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,231 times
Unhappy Crime rate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaappygrl View Post
i am moving to vicotia it seems like a nice town how is the crime rate

The crime rate in Victoria is not that great...... Sorry to tell you the bad news!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:35 AM

41 posts, read 121,979 times
onthemove8 - I'm interested to know what the outcome was. We will be moving to Victoria some time this summer (2010) & I'd like to know how you fit in there & which decisions you've made as far as schools, churches (if any), etc. I don't know if your child is young enough to need a daycare/pre-school, but I have one & will need to know pretty soon where to sign her up. If you're still checking this, please respond.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 PM

97 posts, read 432,889 times
I grew up in Seadrift and the middle school does have an athletics program. One thing you will not get in Seadrfit is the crime that plagues Victoria. Victoria was listed as one of the most dangerous cities in the state of Texas. It is a hub for illegal alien transport and drugs. Their is a great deal of gang activity also. I was also spending over $100.00 a week in gas driving from seadrift to victoria for work everyday, and that was in 2004 The Plant your husband probably works at is Dow or near Dow, which is 4 miles outside of Seadrift.Victoria is 38 miles away from Seadrfit. It says it just outside their town entrance.

The population fell in Seadrift due to the bay being over fished commercially and the Vietnamese community leaving after not being able to make a living off the bay. The over fishing has not affected the fishing guide services that have opened up there.

They have two small school with small class sizes. They have a few gas stations and one grocery store. The have 4 or 5 restaurants. The famous Barketts Restaurant is located there.

There is also a small upscale area called Swan Point. That is were I lived. The homes are nicer and you have your own boat launch and bayou to drive your boat up to the back of your home if you want.

Seadrift/Swan Point area is a big area for fishing and hunting guides and is very close to Falcon Point Ranch.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,368 times
My wife and I are looking to move to the coast. We want to be on the beach with a beach home. Where is the best place to locate to?

Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfashi01 View Post
My wife and I are looking to move to the coast. We want to be on the beach with a beach home. Where is the best place to locate to?
budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas