Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 02:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times

Advertisements

According to newly-released US Census data, Kaufman County is the fastest-growing county in the entire USA!
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2022...n-the-country/
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ka...rea%20counties.
https://localtoday.news/mo/kaufman-c...ry-106247.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 03:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
There are a couple of things that Texas is experiencing that mimic California. The population is getting diverse. A huge growing corporate presence in HOU and DFW. A San Jose style tech city in Austin. And our cities are getting larger.

That’s about it. And the things that I said are not California specific. They exist elsewhere. Texas is not going to mimic California. It will grow into its own thing as it’s been doing. It will be different than it used to be but it won’t be a California clone

Old 12-29-2022, 04:25 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Congestion = longer commutes, and annoying foot traffic

How is “foot traffic” annoying?Walkability is a desirable attribute.
Uh, I'm not talking about walking in regards to exercise (obviously that's desirable for people to do). I'm talking about literally having to dodge people so they don't walk into you just to go down the block. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, go visit Times Square in New York on a Friday night.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:15 AM

5,610 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Uh, I'm not talking about walking in regards to exercise (obviously that's desirable for people to do). I'm talking about literally having to dodge people so they don't walk into you just to go down the block. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, go visit Times Square in New York on a Friday night.
Um, how many places in the entire nation have that kind of pedestrian traffic, outside of special events? Very, very few, and except for the San Antonio Riverwalk and 6th Street in Austin on a Friday/Saturday night, I don't think it's something that should concern us. Walkability doesn't mean packed sidewalks, it just means mobility and destination accessibility can be accomplished easily, safely, and comfortably on foot.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:44 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
There are a couple of things that Texas is experiencing that mimic California. The population is getting diverse. A huge growing corporate presence in HOU and DFW. A San Jose style tech city in Austin. And our cities are getting larger.

That’s about it. And the things that I said are not California specific. They exist elsewhere. Texas is not going to mimic California. It will grow into its own thing as it’s been doing. It will be different than it used to be but it won’t be a California clone
Wow!!
The Texas IS former California denial is strong by many of my fellow Texans.

How quickly we forget that California, in the 1970s- 1980s (if not earlier) was THE birthplace of the modern Pro growth, low restrictions, low infrastructure, trickle down economics form of Conservatism known as Reaganomics.

They used that pro-growth model to balloon their economy and their cities became sprawling messes due to their unbridled growth.

Wasn't there a joke about Los Angeles being a bunch of random communities looking for a city because the city planning mess was so visible.

Well...my Texas, during the boom times could have modeled themselves after any other state BUT they picked to mirror California's economic growth model EXACTLY.

The difference is that California started to realize the urban and social issues create by this model, around the turn of the century, and they decided to pull a sharp 180 on what they used to do.

Texas!?!? Let's keep this going but they WILL have to address their social and urban issues related to their growth strategies very soon.

You CAN'T keep sprawling in every direction, maxing out the grid, c heaping out on infrastructure and expect everything to remain ROSES because it will not work.

WE are already starting to see cracks..California, to their benefit, is trying to fix their issues.

Texas....crickets. In fact, they are DOUBLING DOWN...lol

Old 12-29-2022, 01:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
CoL will increase if population increases faster than availability of resources, housing being one of those resources. What keeps Houston and DFW more affordable than Austin despite them being more than double the size is that they are alot more relaxed on building homes to meet growth demands. Austin could be more affordable if the city would be faster in approving building permits. As for traffic, once again, HOU & DFW were alot more relaxed about building infrastructure than AUS (which largely did its best to inhibit growth by not building infrastructure hoping it would steer people to not move there).

DFW and especially HOU will be practical places to live (in comparison to the premier cities) for a long time and its very unlikely that they will become Austin clones. As for California, it is its own animal of issues between land & resource scarcity, geography, building codes incorporating natural disasters (Earthquake's and wildfires) and policies ...

Texas isnt going to be a spitting replica of California.. the states are too different on too many levels .. but there will be some similarities... but California will outrank TX in affordability crisis for longer than I have left on this Earth short of a major crisis in the Pacific
Great posts.

Just because they follow similar paths doesn't mean they will end up in the same place. California is smaller than Texas and has a lot less developable Lans.

Texas has a slither of mountain range in the far west white California has ranges right down its spine. On top of that California has a lot more protected land

Look at LA. The land area is like 33,000 sq miles, but the people live in about 2000 sq miles because of the mountains and park lands. Compare that to Houston and DFW that can stretch to their hearts content.

Texas has far less limitations than California. Relying on simple growth plans and not considering resources is a fatal error in all these chicken little posts about doom and gloom for Texas. Texas may turn into California but it doesn't have to

Old 12-29-2022, 02:49 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
True. I think growth will continue in El Paso, Midland/Odessa, Lubbock out west, the Valley and Tyler or Longview in east Texas. Don't know if the growth in those areas will take off or just be modest.
Outside of Tyler, East Texas cities aren't really growing including Longview. And compared to suburban cities in the big 4 even a city like Tyler pales in comparison. Seems like cities like Midland and Lubbock have healthier growth more so even than Tyler.

If East Texas ever got out of it's own way when it comes to politics, religion and focus on more economic growth just from a geographical point of view I think it would be more ideal than West Texas cities. But again mentally outside of Tyler and even Tyler to an extent, East Texans just lack the innovation spirit and willingness to invite outsiders like other parts of Texas.

Old 12-30-2022, 05:34 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Um, how many places in the entire nation have that kind of pedestrian traffic, outside of special events? Very, very few, and except for the San Antonio Riverwalk and 6th Street in Austin on a Friday/Saturday night, I don't think it's something that should concern us. Walkability doesn't mean packed sidewalks, it just means mobility and destination accessibility can be accomplished easily, safely, and comfortably on foot.
Then don't let it concern you. I've seen that type of growth happen first hand and it's a pain in the ass. The Austin area is definitely heading that way, whether you want to agree or not.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:58 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
If the current growth rates of Texas and California continue, Texas should pass California in population within the next 30 years.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:18 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I'm hoping Texas learns not to repeat California's mistakes.
It's not California's mistakes. It's America's mistake.
That's the story of this country. Politician and their developer friends getting rich with unregulated growth with no planning and then everybody that lives there is stuck with the mess they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas