Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2023, 01:31 PM

189 posts, read 418,074 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We're two retired scientists, currently in Georgetown, Texas. Lived for decades in South Texas (Houston, Bay City). Not that happy with Georgetown, Kind of surprising as I grew up just up the road a bit. Town here is growing too fast. Poor planning to handle growth. Too much growth is on the Interstate corridor. Just too hectic. Feels like we're in a bedroom community for Austin. Many days regretting leaving the greater Houston area, but Harvey scared us to death.

We're finding that we dislike the dry heat more than the humidity, which really surprised us. We're in a retirement community, which we're not enjoying that much. Too clique-ish, a bit too isolated from town, and (frankly) lots of old people with lots of health issues. Of course, it is quiet.

We're library volunteer kinda people. Like to dance a bit (C&W). Light socializing, like a wine club or bookclub.

We're missing the coastal vibe that we grew to love over the years. Being a bit inland, but close enough to get decent seafood is really appealing.

So, we're recently back from a rip to Rockport/Fulton and decided to spend one night in Victoria. Pleasantly surprised at just how nice it seems. Nice wide streets, not a lot of congestion other than on Navarro. Feels like a real town and not just a bedroom community. Lots of shopping and restaurant options. Seems to have decent healthcare, which is (of course) important.

Drove around a bit, liked the area South of Airline near the golf course there. We're currently in 2500 sq ft house with three car garage. Would absolutely not go smaller than that on sq ft, maybe on garage (but that would be tough). Would really prefer something that feels like a Master Planned community with deed restrictions and community pool. Really dislike the basketball goal next to the driveway vibe that we've seen other places we've lived. Spouse is quite noise sensitive and listening to dribbling for hours is not an option.

Any feedback on decent areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 05:19 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times
Decent healthcare? Um, not really. Adequate for non-specialty needs, wouldn't be my go to into older age. Especially for people who came from Houston, which is literally your cancer treatment mecca.

I'm with ya on the false economy of the growth ponzi scheme. We're dealing with similar dissatisfaction with New Braunfels. All this insane growth doesn't benefit the existing residents, as the necessary increase in infrastructure and vendors never materialize during the time one would be here attempting to live. We find it suffocating but we still have years to go before we can pack up and move away from our jobs. Of course, I say that, and our 70 some year old neighbors just moved next door after running away from Austin on the very basis of the complaints you have. So everything is relative I guess.

On a population and pace of life basis, you're going in the right direction going from a de facto suburb of cramped Austin, to a small metro. WFH kinda ruined things on the tertiary market for a bit, but as the recession and layoffs start impacting WFH types, I think these tertiary markets will remain stagnant enough for a retired couple to have more breathing room and more important, slow growth rate, which is really what many of us are after.

Some might suggest closer to Corpus would be another alternative. Of course if fear of hurricanes is that important, then you're heading in the wrong direction with Corpus.

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2023, 07:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
If you were scared to death by Harvey, Victoria is no further inland than you were in Bay City. You’ll still end up with property damage, power loss, and probably evacuating.

I hear you about not liking Sun City.

Old 05-14-2023, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Decent healthcare? Um, not really. Adequate for non-specialty needs, wouldn't be my go to into older age. Especially for people who came from Houston, which is literally your cancer treatment mecca.

I'm with ya on the false economy of the growth ponzi scheme. We're dealing with similar dissatisfaction with New Braunfels. All this insane growth doesn't benefit the existing residents, as the necessary increase in infrastructure and vendors never materialize during the time one would be here attempting to live. We find it suffocating but we still have years to go before we can pack up and move away from our jobs. Of course, I say that, and our 70 some year old neighbors just moved next door after running away from Austin on the very basis of the complaints you have. So everything is relative I guess.

On a population and pace of life basis, you're going in the right direction going from a de facto suburb of cramped Austin, to a small metro. WFH kinda ruined things on the tertiary market for a bit, but as the recession and layoffs start impacting WFH types, I think these tertiary markets will remain stagnant enough for a retired couple to have more breathing room and more important, slow growth rate, which is really what many of us are after.

Some might suggest closer to Corpus would be another alternative. Of course if fear of hurricanes is that important, then you're heading in the wrong direction with Corpus.

Good luck!
I realize that for major healthcare, we'd be in Houston. No different than here. Everyone with the big C in Georgetown is driving back and forth to Houston.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Old 05-14-2023, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you were scared to death by Harvey, Victoria is no further inland than you were in Bay City. You’ll still end up with property damage, power loss, and probably evacuating.

I hear you about not liking Sun City.

Thanks for the response. What scared us with Harvey or hurricanes in general isn't so much the possibility of evacuating, it is the constant challenge with drainage with (almost) unimpeded growth happening around us. We were in the Kingwood area whene Harvey hit. Stayed at home and we're fine, but watching the water rise for four days was tough, tough. Then we see a huge field clear cut for a new HEB. Same field that held 3-4 inches of rain for days after every storm.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:39 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,378 times
Yuck. I have family there and have handled court cases there as well.

high crime

humid but not even on the Gulf

I just dont see anything special about it.

Maybe you're thinking of Victoria, British Columbia. << nice!

Rockport - a beach town 27 miles from Corpus would be a better choice it even has a higher proportion of educated folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas