Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 08:23 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

Personally I think population growth is a good thing.

The problem with Texas and most major southern metro's is when it comes to population growth, not alot of long term planning goes into it. Georgia, almost 'no' planning went into it.. ..or I should say, some planning did happen but the major projects that would have helped alleviate or bypass traffic were blown away by NIMBY's such as the Outer Perimeter, all MARTA expansion, several freeways, several arterials, ect.. I could go on forever.

Texas does a slightly better job by offering freeways but thats still nowhere near enough and is not 'smart growth' in terms of large scale population increases and Texas suburbia still follows a car-centric design pattern where it is difficult to design transit around to be effective.

Houston for example could probably be a much less flood prone city while still retaining most of its inhabitants if they made more concentrated population centers and strictly forbade low density developments in the midst of flood plains while also designating larger areas for drainage and perhaps potentially even storage for the rest of the states water concerns (offering slow pumps to drought areas). Likewise it would aggregate larger concentrations of people into areas that would be easier to serve by transit routes and not just highways.

DFW has more than enough land taken up by sprawl and would do better by concentrate on improving density and bringing jobs closer into the core, connect denser nodes by rail offering a car-free lifestyle. The freeway system in DFW however is pretty good in my experience. Problem is, it is too difficult to use other methods of transit outside of the freeways due to last mile and transfer issues.

The real model behind growth in most southern metro's is extra tax revenue and that's really about it. The large scale growth being thrown up is not designed to be sustainable, it's designed to fill the wallets of investors and politicians. Smarter designs around growth however could help mitigate many of the issues we see in today's growth, but then we'd have to be willing to deal with the nimby's and accept that not everyone is going to get a large McMansion settled in a 1 way in 1 way out suburban subdivision isolated from walkability and transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 10:06 PM

141 posts, read 45,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdad99 View Post
I think that’s more so because Greenspoint is old, ran down & pretty dangerous. Spring is growing rapidly & close to The Woodlands.
I'm just suggesting that as energy companies are moving out from Houston to the outskirts, the next step will be just to move to Fort Worth. The city is ideally situated to the Permian Basin and Oklahoma. Time will tell.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:20 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
DFW has more than enough land taken up by sprawl and would do better by concentrate on improving density and bringing jobs closer into the core, connect denser nodes by rail offering a car-free lifestyle. The freeway system in DFW however is pretty good in my experience. Problem is, it is too difficult to use other methods of transit outside of the freeways due to last mile and transfer issues.
I can't speak for the other metros, but a car-free lifestyle is never going to happen in DFW. And all that concentrating job centers into denser cores would accomplish is concentrate the congestion that comes with massive job centers. Having job centers spread out all over the metro disperses the congestion and works pretty well IMO. There's plenty of space in the metro. There's no reason to cram everyone into a tiny central business district.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:51 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I can't speak for the other metros, but a car-free lifestyle is never going to happen in DFW. And all that concentrating job centers into denser cores would accomplish is concentrate the congestion that comes with massive job centers. Having job centers spread out all over the metro disperses the congestion and works pretty well IMO. There's plenty of space in the metro. There's no reason to cram everyone into a tiny central business district.
Do you think density in the DFW area could eventually evolve the way it has in LA?

Old 06-01-2023, 12:35 AM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Do you think density in the DFW area could eventually evolve the way it has in LA?
Not very easily no. LA is forced to grow dense due to being a metro 13 million peope crammed in between Mountains, Desert and Ocean. DFW could technically spread between Waco and Oklahoma before running out of room

Old 06-01-2023, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Congratulations. You've replaced DallasBoi is the most worthless poster on this forum.
Good Lord!
Rather than bash me upside the head, what does Houston have going for it at this time that Fort Worth will have to develop?
Schools that produce students for the energy industry.
It isn't all sinking way down in the depths of Houston. Didn't a new Buckees get added to the Metropolitan area?
So what if having trillion dollar oil companies in low rise campuses is no longer a point of pride. What is the difference between building warehouses and campuses? They're both about the same height.
You also have the Astros. A good zoo. Restaurants. Lots of boat houses when it rains a lot. Fish.

Old 06-01-2023, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Once they build those huge power generators that plug into giant electrical receptors like Elon Musk envisions, we can expand our Earth colonies in short order first to Antartica, then the Moon, and finally Mars.
When I was a youngster, downtown Dallas was the financial capital of the Southwest. Now there are five financial districts spread over the whole region concentrated in five business districts. These being the Richardson Telecom Corridor, Central Dallas, Legacy West, Las Colinas, and West Lake. I was reading here lately that Las Colinas has expanded by 21,000 employees in the last five years. That is rather remarkable.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:18 AM

674 posts, read 334,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I think it's easy to be critical and say that, but realistically I don't know too many city leaders that could have predicted the growth, let alone plan far enough ahead in advance to counter it. Can you honestly say you saw it coming 5 years ago?

Yes. I mean you'd have to be blind not to see it. It was like a mile-long train speeding towards us as we're tied to the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
DFW, no. Parts of Dallas, yes.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:29 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,563,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Yes. I mean you'd have to be blind not to see it. It was like a mile-long train speeding towards us as we're tied to the track.
Yeah, I don't think so. I seriously doubt if I looked through the posts here, there would be any nostradamus'. And anyone that did see it wouldn't be spending time on a forum. They would have just bought up a bunch of houses and would be retired on their own island.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:45 AM

674 posts, read 334,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Yeah, I don't think so. I seriously doubt if I looked through the posts here, there would be any nostradamus'. And anyone that did see it wouldn't be spending time on a forum. They would have just bought up a bunch of houses and would be retired on their own island.

I agree with you on pretty much everything you've said here but Texas's blistering growth was blindingly obvious 5 years ago.

If you'd said nobody could have seen this coming 30 years ago, I'd have agreed wholeheartedly. But 5 years ago it was 2018 and the local real estate market was white hot as companies continued to pour into Texas. It was super obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas