U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 9,128 times

Advertisements

Hi there
My Family will be relocating to Midland Texas in March 2008, maybe even sooner. I've been looking at homes on the internet, but I am having a hard time getting a feel for the city. I was wondering if any of you have either lived in or visited the Midland area? We currently live in Southern California, in a semi-rural area, but we live in a private community with a lake and golf course, so I'm trying to find nice areas. Any and all feedback would be sooooooo appreciated. Thanks in advance, keefinlake
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 02:50 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,625,691 times
DONT DO IT!

No really, Midland is out in the back forty. High School football is the biggest form of entertainment, and they take it to the extreme there. I see you lived in a rural area.. congrats your moving to a more rural area. Midland is flat and windy.. filled with Oil Fields. No Lakes.. im sure there is a golf course though.

Trust me, you'll regret it.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 AM

5,538 posts, read 22,618,445 times
It is a totally different culture from the west coast. You definitely want to spend a few days there before deciding to move your family.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:17 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,386,414 times
aw come on yall! it sounds like he's got a job transfer, it's already a done deal-he's going. so lets look at positives of Midland. there are plenty.
and by the way, in my opinion, ANYWHERE in Texas is better than California...by a long shot

Old 01-09-2007, 09:27 AM

True..

there are positives of Midland? Ok its Not Cali.. what else? lol =)

Old 01-09-2007, 10:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,032,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
True..

there are positives of Midland? Ok its Not Cali.. what else? lol =)
So you don't like Midland. Big deal.

Nobody's going to make you move here, so try to be helpful instead of put-down.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefinlake View Post
Hi there
My Family will be relocating to Midland Texas in March 2008, maybe even sooner. I've been looking at homes on the internet, but I am having a hard time getting a feel for the city. I was wondering if any of you have either lived in or visited the Midland area? We currently live in Southern California, in a semi-rural area, but we live in a private community with a lake and golf course, so I'm trying to find nice areas. Any and all feedback would be sooooooo appreciated. Thanks in advance, keefinlake
Despite the putdowns of the place, we DO have lots of nice areas, several upscale.

Coming from CA, you will find the real estate very inexpensive here. If you like country club areas, try GreenTree in the northwest.

There is not a lot of available housing right now, though, because of the mini-boom we're going through.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
So you don't like Midland. Big deal.

Nobody's going to make you move here, so try to be helpful instead of put-down.
Heh heh.. yeah I would rather live in Hell Paso than Midland. and I hate El Paso.

I am being helpful.. I am letting him/her know what a piece of crap town Midland is.. how isolated, red neck, backwood/plains it really is.

When a towns biggest form of entertainment is its High School Football team.. then what does that say about the city?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Heh heh.. yeah I would rather live in Hell Paso than Midland. and I hate El Paso.

I am being helpful.. I am letting him/her know what a piece of crap town Midland is.. how isolated, red neck, backwood/plains it really is.

When a towns biggest form of entertainment is its High School Football team.. then what does that say about the city?
Your ignorance is showing.

Don't bother to post to me any more. You're going on ignore.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 AM

Im Sorry Cathy.. I guess I should not attack your city.. I guess if you like flat places then MIDLAND is the place to be.

No really Midland is a quiet, out in the middle of no where city.. its has Odessa right next to it. I have a friend out in Odessa I visit every now and then. And I am shocked at how much the city has changed over the years. Its growing and hey your not so far out that Dallas takes half a day to get too. heck Midland and Odessa are considered to still be in Texas.. El Paso on the other hand..

But really Midland has some money due to the oil fields all around. they have great schools.. we kid that the football team is used to plow fields instead of cattle, cause the football kids out there look like walking bulls. Steam shooting out their nose, and beedy red eyes. =)

Just because I cant find anything worth a damn out there, doesn't mean you wont.. Good Luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas