Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,151 times

Advertisements

my family is moving to this area next month. i have done all the websites,looked at the schools,but would love to here from folks that live in the area.we are coming from the seattle area and are not quite sure what to expect.my oldest is a high school student and she is so frazzled.i hope she can make friends quickly.my smallest is going to preschool -anyone reccomend a preschool?are there lots of activities for the kids?what kind of shopping is in copperas cove?do tornados scare you all?if anyone can give us info it would be sooo helpful. cant wait to see the sun and meet the friendly texans i hear about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times
Kempner is a small town-VERY small. no real grocery store-closest thing to it is Christensen's which is just a fillin station with some groceries.There is a post office, city hall, Brick Oven German Restaurant, Kemp Fire BBQ, a junk store, a few businesses (small). Very rural, very spread out-lots of county roads. VERY QUIET. All your shopping would be done in Lampasas or Copperas Cove.
I live on the line of Kempner/Copperas Cove (Lampasas County/Coryell County).
Copperas Cove has an HEB and SuperWalmart and a few restaurants, but not too many-most folks go to Killeen for more dining options. CC is heavily military but much quieter than Killeen, but still too busy for me, so I head west for EVERYTHING. I do all my shopping in Lampasas. Very few GI's (soldiers), no lines, no crowds, no traffic. I use Kempner post office-never go to Cove-too many army wives in line sending care packages to the sandbox.
Dont know anything about schools-I dont have kids. I do believe Copperas Cove HS "Bulldawgs" or "DAWGS" is a good football team....that's all I know. Surely I would think Lampasas would be better, though Cove i am sure cant be too bad-there are no real "slums" or "ghettos" here-maybe just a few pockets of "very working class/blue collar/lower income" areas with duplexes/triplexes/older homes.
Personally, between Kempner and Cove, if I were to BUY, Kempner hands down..Lampasas even better but it's just a tad too far to commute to Ft Hood comfortably.
I am going to be buying in Gatesville-that's my number one choice, but that's just me.
What else can I answer?
WELCOME! I love it here!
oh p.s. tornados? no they dont scare me. We have tornado watches/warning,sure..just like anywhere in Texas,well heck, anywhere in Tornado Alley,but lately it looks like it's more dangerous to live in the MidWest! sheesh-Wisconsin, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Kansas and today Iowa!-now there it's been very tornadic.
i would only be slightly concerned, if i lived in a trailer on a lot that was very very flat, but it sure aint flatlands here-it's rolling beautiful hills! trailers are just not sturdy enough. though i have owned and lived in trailers in North Texas for years, where there was ALOT more tornado activity-i was right near Oklahoma border! aint been sucked up yet. my only fear is snakes. but as long as i am armed and can discharge a firearm, i'm good to go.

p.s.s. what's bringing yall here? Uncle Sam, I assume...yall must be PCS'ing from Ft Lewis?

have yall already bought a place?

Last edited by NOTAM; 06-11-2008 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,916 times
Hi--I see that this post is almost a month old...are you already here? I just typed a long response and my computer froze up...I hit the back arrow and the message was gone....so, I was wondering if you would like to meet somewhere for coffee or tea, or giving me a call instead of me having to re-type everything--lol! I live in Kempner, have 2 teenage boys, teach preschool, and have lived in Texas most of my life...so I'm guessing we would have plenty to talk about! Welcome to Texas!!!

Kathy
kitkat4493@yahoo.com

Old 07-07-2008, 02:07 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,902 times
Cove all day

Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM

do ya live in Cove? what do you do here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Cove all day

Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,902 times
Played against Cove 4 years in High School family and friends in Ft Hood Killeen and Cove uh been in Central TX all my life and I work for the electric company that services Kempner(PEC) so I know what know. what else do want to know hunh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
do ya live in Cove? what do you do here?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM

Perdenales Electric Coop?
Hmm wonder if they service my area. I'm almost in Kempner. Then maybe you could erroneously read my meter every month ha ha. Currently i use First Choice Power of Texas/New Mexico. bills are very high. but then again, my house is fairly big 4 bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Played against Cove 4 years in High School family and friends in Ft Hood Killeen and Cove uh been in Central TX all my life and I work for the electric company that services Kempner(PEC) so I know what know. what else do want to know hunh?

Old 07-13-2008, 03:48 AM

122 posts, read 310,316 times
There are a few areas in Cove that are ghetto, not just working class. The area around Casa Dr is a complete ghetto....stay away at night!!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:06 AM

hmm...i have driven in that neighborhood, since i take some backroads into Ogletree Gap every now and then, where i have a few friends. it's sorta run down but not total ghetto, but then again, i am comparing to the ghetto's i have seen in larger cities. to me, there ain't anything in cove that is "large scale" ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytexas View Post
There are a few areas in Cove that are ghetto, not just working class. The area around Casa Dr is a complete ghetto....stay away at night!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 AM

122 posts, read 310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
hmm...i have driven in that neighborhood, since i take some backroads into Ogletree Gap every now and then, where i have a few friends. it's sorta run down but not total ghetto, but then again, i am comparing to the ghetto's i have seen in larger cities. to me, there ain't anything in cove that is "large scale" ghetto
I used to live in Cove, and some people I know live there and there is nothing just run down about the crime and drugs in that area...it's a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas