Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Point is, nobody nor group owns land by a God-given and/or trancendental right. The only reason I can safely say I own property is because I happen to be lucky enough to live in a country which recognizes and protects private property rights. :

Oh,, I was going to mentioned that yes we live in a country that recognizes and protects private property rights, that is, until that very same country decides IT needs your property for whatever purpose it deems necessary. Then you will find out first hand how many rights you have as a property owner. If you have trouble understnding it, the judge will repeat it to you in no uncertain terms. Don't worry, you'll fully understand before it all said and done with. But, they call that progress. This way you can go watch a football game in what used to be someone's back yard, or when the roads become too congested due to the evergrowing population which God only knows how many are here legal, well step aside, that road's coming through, whether it's your property or one of your distant neighbors. Oil company wants your land...all they have to do is turn it over to a public utility company, the PUC takes it one way or another. This goes for electic companies, gas companies, you name it. I realize the country is growing, more and more people, which in turn forces more and more services. But rather than just keep seizing people's properyy and building more power plants, digging more oil/gas wells, shouldn't we attempt just a little bit on doing something about the population explosion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:56 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
shouldn't we attempt just a little bit on doing something about the population explosion.
How exactly do you plan to control the population explosion ?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Oh,, I was going to mentioned that yes we live in a country that recognizes and protects private property rights, that is, until that very same country decides IT needs your property for whatever purpose it deems necessary. Then you will find out first hand how many rights you have as a property owner. If you have trouble understnding it, the judge will repeat it to you in no uncertain terms. Don't worry, you'll fully understand before it all said and done with. But, they call that progress. This way you can go watch a football game in what used to be someone's back yard, or when the roads become too congested due to the evergrowing population which God only knows how many are here legal, well step aside, that road's coming through, whether it's your property or one of your distant neighbors. Oil company wants your land...all they have to do is turn it over to a public utility company, the PUC takes it one way or another. This goes for electic companies, gas companies, you name it. I realize the country is growing, more and more people, which in turn forces more and more services. But rather than just keep seizing people's properyy and building more power plants, digging more oil/gas wells, shouldn't we attempt just a little bit on doing something about the population explosion.

Great points, LoneStar! And I agree to a VERY large extent. Damn right! ESPECIALLY in that..was it Kelso v. CN? Anyway, the "liberal" wing of the court ruled that a government entity could take private property for nothing more than the fact the same might stand to sell it to private developers and make a lot of money.

THAT ruling is totally against any concept of reasonable "imminent domain". It is one thing to, yeah, might have to happen, a freeway going thru. TOTALLY another that city government does it in the name of public good and their own profit.

Well, in Texas at least, the state itself passed a law which essentially countered such insanity!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Great points, LoneStar! And I agree to a VERY large extent. Damn right! ESPECIALLY in that..was it Kelso v. CN? Anyway, the "liberal" wing of the court ruled that a government entity could take private property for nothing more than the fact the same might stand to sell it to private developers and make a lot of money.

THAT ruling is totally against any concept of reasonable "imminent domain". It is one thing to, yeah, might have to happen, a freeway going thru. TOTALLY another that city government does it in the name of public good and their own profit.

Well, in Texas at least, the state itself passed a law which essentially countered such insanity!
I think this issue arose after the Cowboy Stadium. I remember hearing about it then, but do not remember the details, but I know Rick Perry was for passing this law. Well, that stadium did produce a lot of flak.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
How exactly do you plan to control the population explosion ?
Tightening our borders just a little bit, you think?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Tightening our borders just a little bit, you think?
Okay, You weren't specific with the type of population boom you were interested in controlling. I'll be the first to agree that there should tighter borders but at the same time I have several illegal friends and co-workers that are damn good, law abiding ( other then being here illegally ) people. So I'm drawn on the issue.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
I'm not a Texan as I just moved here, but I love this state. Texans have plenty to be proud of, and those who badmouth Texas really have no idea what they're missing.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM

169 posts, read 592,367 times
Quote:
Okay, You weren't specific with the type of population boom you were interested in controlling. I'll be the first to agree that there should tighter borders but at the same time I have several illegal friends and co-workers that are damn good, law abiding ( other then being here illegally ) people. So I'm drawn on the issue.
Well, I have always had a serious issue with illegals in this country and I ain't just talkin' about Mexico. I think it's time we close the borders to all until Uncle Sam gets a serious grip on the current problem with illegals. Wether they are friend, foe, co-worker or even family, if they are here illegally... send them back & keep them out. Plain & simple. JMHO.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
I know what you mean (I grew up 100 miles from the TX-MX border), but we can no longer afford illegals in this country, and that has been true for a very long time. You are correct in that they are NOT law-abiding simply by virtue of having entered illegally.

In the 1950s, I was not afraid as a small child when I saw groups of illegals (in threes to fives) coming up from Ciudad Acuna/Del Rio in Val Verde county. Today, they come across in total HORDES; there is a meaness today that was missing 50 years ago. They leave trash in their wake, steal crops, kill livestock, break into homes, etc.

They are such a terrible drain (education, unpaid medical bills, etc.) today that it is long past the time when something should have been done.

I have no problem with those who come legally--but it is too bad that illegal immigration is such political poison these days.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
They leave trash in their wake, steal crops, kill livestock, break into homes, etc.

They are such a terrible drain (education, unpaid medical bills, etc.) today that it is long past the time when something should have been done.
That wasn't really the most intelligent statement. Most of the illegals I know here in Tennessee don't have a U.S. education and have a mexican doctor in their town that they see vs. going to a U.S. hospital. The guys I know that I work with are in construction and make over 100k a year and own nice cars/houses/ect, ect. They don't trash places they don't steal and they don't kill and they have no reason to break into peoples homes.

I know there are several that DO do those things but to lump every single illegal into that category is wrong and it's what's wrong with this country. Too many people lump people into a category based on race, creed, or nationality. I'm sure you're white but I doubt you sport a mullett hair cut, wear wife-beater shirts with bermuda shorts, have confederate flags on everything with toilets full of flowers on your front lawn, right ?

But then again, maybe you do and this was all for not ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas