U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM

8,343 posts, read 11,652,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I vote for The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. No other movie brings out both the great disdain and great respect Texas has for its Mexican heritage. We are so quick to discount our border areas yet deep down we understand the importance they bring to our culture. It also deliniates our simbiotic relationship with Mexico and its culture. Texas wouldn't be the same without it. Furthermore, it brings together the two things Anglos and Mexicans have in common as Texans. And that is honor and loyalty.
I enjoyed that one, too, as well as No Country for Old Men.

But for some reason, there were a couple of scenes in TTBOME that made me laugh out loud, and they were not intended to be funny.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 AM

9,606 posts, read 9,297,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I enjoyed that one, too, as well as No Country for Old Men.

But for some reason, there were a couple of scenes in TTBOME that made me laugh out loud, and they were not intended to be funny.
Actually, I think they were! We were talking about those scenes for awhile also. Perhaps it was just how "loyal" we are to one another here and the extremes we would go to that gave us a chuckle.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:57 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,686,078 times
I liked Three Burials and No Country for Old Men.

Typically movies set up good villains only to have them defeated by luck or plot holes. No Country was refreshing because that didn't happen. I understand the need for happy endings to satisfy audiences, but it is nice to see a good villain once in while that the protagonists cannot defeat.

I also liked Office Space and Primer.

If you haven't seen Primer, it is probably one of the best, if not the best, time travel movies ever made. It is set and filmed around the Dallas area even though they never mention that in the film. I recommend it with a warning. It is not a Back to the Future type of movie. It is more of a nerdcore approach to what time travel might actually be like.

I haven't seen it, but I wonder how West Texas is treated in W. From what I have read, Josh Brolin called hotels to study the accent of West Texas. The only good West Texas accent that I have ever heard in a movie was from the character of Carla Jean Moss played by Kelly Macdonald in No Country.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:08 AM

14,523 posts, read 26,745,812 times
don't know that they filmed any of the W TX scenes in Midland--they filmed most scenes in LA--not Los Angeles either--Shreveport to be exact--we lived there--my husband recognized the buildings in outdoor scenes that did not have blue screen backgrounds right away

Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 717 times
I see no mention of "Hard Country", with Jan Michael Vincent, Kim Basenger, and featuring Darrell Hanna. Film entirely in Midland. As was "Waltz Across Texas". One other was "Hanger 18" filmed in Big Spring, Midland, and Stanton. Which brings me to the one no one ever mentions, "Midnight Cowboy", partly filmed in Stanton, Big Spring and Midland.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM

4,608 posts, read 4,924,321 times
I'm a fan of Sigourny Weaver and now John Voight with the movie Holes. a tale of the old west tied to the present. A great family movie which takes place in Texas. Watch for it on your cable free for view channel, something like Flix, or CW or Disney. Or heck, rent it for a snowed in weekend.

Get some pop corn, sit back and enjoy.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM

17,472 posts, read 16,215,344 times
Glad to see this old thread still lives.

Two other of my favorite TX movies is Tin Cup (west TX) and in the last few years Second hand Lions filmed near Lockhart.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM

333 posts, read 439,003 times
The last scene of Cast Away with Tom Hanks and I believe her character name was Bettina. The whole scene resonates with me and I won't bore any of you with why but it is my favorite Texas shot. Wide open spaces for miles and miles and miles....................................Yee Haw!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 PM

17,472 posts, read 16,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
The whole scene resonates with me and I won't bore any of you with why but it is my favorite Texas shot. Wide open spaces for miles and miles and miles....................................Yee Haw!
Reminds me of the movie Dancer Texas. Great show of west TX and the miles of open spaces.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM

9,789 posts, read 10,861,450 times
I always love when these old threads are revived!

"Last Picture Show" and "Places In the Heart"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas