Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: National Supper of Texas
Chili (without beans) 4 6.78%
Chili (with beans) 2 3.39%
Chicken Fried Steak 23 38.98%
Fried Catfish 2 3.39%
Fried Chicken 1 1.69%
Enchiladas 0 0%
Tacos 0 0%
Barbeque 22 37.29%
Frito-Pie 0 0%
Other 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:54 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yep, barbecue here, too.

(But how can a state's main dish be "national"?)

It was a bit of a joke. A spin off of those old Lone Star beer (yuk) commercials where the brew was advertized as "The National Beer of Texas"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 06:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Yes, if Tex-Mex had been on there, I would have been hard pressed to choose between the two.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:39 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Default Texas Chili

Now what Texan in his/her right mind would want chili with beans??! In Cincinnati, maybe. In Texas, no way. That's like putting ketchup on corn flakes. It's downright criminal!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Now what Texan in his/her right mind would want chili with beans??! In Cincinnati, maybe. In Texas, no way. That's like putting ketchup on corn flakes. It's downright criminal!
OR...sugar in cornbread! LOL

I agree I messed up bad on that one by including it, ol' buddy.

In fact, being on a Texas poll roll, this gives me an idea for another!

Old 06-15-2008, 01:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
case44: I hear you. Beans in your chili is a sacrilege!

I had a hard time choosing between chicken-fried steak, BBQ, and fried catfish because I love them all. But I had to go with CFS. Living only a mile from Massey's Restaurant in Ft Worth may have had something to do with it.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:33 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
What you don't serve all this at one time.. and you call yourself TEXANS.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
What you don't serve all this at one time.. and you call yourself TEXANS.
LOL!!! Reminds me of the BIG Sunday Lunches that we would have when visitng my grandparents when they lived in a small town that had nothing but farmers all around them. We would always get invited to come eat and they had a SPREAD! At least 3 "main" dishes, every side possible and desert took up an entire table in the corner of the living or dining room. Being farmers most of these vittles were farm fresh right down to the meat. Gawd, that was some good eatin.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:24 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!! Reminds me of the BIG Sunday Lunches that we would have when visiting my grandparents when they lived in a small town that had nothing but farmers all around them. We would always get invited to come eat and they had a SPREAD! At least 3 "main" dishes, every side possible and desert took up an entire table in the corner of the living or dining room. Being farmers most of these vittles were farm fresh right down to the meat. Gawd, that was some good eatin.
Were not farmers, but I can honestly say that when we cook out or have a shin-dig, you will see everything on that list and then some. Just like you described in your post MoMo!

We need to get TexasReb, to do a cook out.. one TEXAS SIZED! We also must demand he take every poll and list he made here on food be present so we can all do a real poll and what is gone first is the winner of said poll. =)

Old 06-15-2008, 03:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Were not farmers, but I can honestly say that when we cook out or have a shin-dig, you will see everything on that list and then some. Just like you described in your post MoMo!

We need to get TexasReb, to do a cook out.. one TEXAS SIZED! We also must demand he take every poll and list he made here on food be present so we can all do a real poll and what is gone first is the winner of said poll. =)
NOW YOUR TALKING! I'm game

Old 06-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Momof2dfw wrote: NOW YOUR TALKING! I'm game
Now, ALL THAT is a great idee so far as a "run-off" goes, by gawd and high cotton! I honestly might just try and do so, by golly. Jess gimme a bit of time to sort it out neatly. Y'all hear?

BUT "groans and puts my head into hands"..., if to put it all into reality in terms of cookin' and a real ol' fashion' Texas spread on me own abilities...?

As my dear ol' granmamma used to say...Oh lord forgive us when we doubt..."!

With THAT in mind, I DO promise to help a lot --even get a lot of things going and planning -- if all y'all might truly want to do somethin' like this some day!

A Texas greet and meet...and everbody make and bring yer own speciality. Like a covered dish supper and dinner on the grounds and a family reunion!

And with all that said...I am gettin' hungry so will bid a fond farewell and evening to all my fellow Texans and friends!

'gnight, y'all!

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-15-2008 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas