U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM

1,068 posts, read 3,626,299 times
Default Safe Mexican Border Towns to visit?

Since my inlaws are keeping our kids overnight in Donna, they want to take the kids over the border to mexico.

I just saw a report on TV that showed Matamoras as a very unsafe place to visit due to the drug smugglers and the drug wars happening... I don't want my kids going over the border to Matamoras but aren't there any relatively safe small border towns that can be visited?

Last edited by stargazer; 06-22-2008 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-22-2008, 02:37 PM

8,063 posts, read 10,560,181 times
If they're in Donna, Nuevo Progreso would be a much safer alternative close by if they really want to take the kids across. You'd best check on border crossing requirements, though. They're requiring passports now. I know there was a delay in implementation because of a backlog but it may be fully in effect now. I just had friends visit me from Canada and they needed passports to come.

I wouldn't recommend Matamoros. Too much potential for violence and overall weirdness.

Unread 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM

5,087 posts, read 2,632,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Since my inlaws are keeping our kids overnight in Donna, they want to take the kids to over the border to mexico.

I just saw a report on TV that showed Matamoras as a very unsafe place to visit due to the drug smugglers and the drug wars happening... I don't want my kids going over the border to Matamoras but aren't there any relatively safe small border towns that can be visited?

There are plenty.. all of them are along the US Canadian border.. good luck, and enjoy your visit to the US Border. As for the Mexican one.. stay away.

Unread 06-22-2008, 03:57 PM

5,033 posts, read 7,183,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Since my inlaws are keeping our kids overnight in Donna, they want to take the kids over the border to mexico.

There is no way I'd take anyone's children or let anyone take mine across the border anywhere in Mexico. One has to be lacking in common sense to even suggest it. Who would want to go there anyway and for what logical reason? I agree with Muhnay......go north to the border.

Unread 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM

1,068 posts, read 3,626,299 times
My inlaws are apart of a retirement community in Donna, Texas which is just a few miles from the border. They keep telling my husband that the small town they go to along with the other q tip's ( old white people with white hair and white tennis shoes) is safe... though like you, I have had my questions and that is why I am asking here.
They have lived down that way for about 3 years now.

Unread 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Bo

13,998 posts, read 18,660,693 times
OP, you might find the current US State Department travel advisory for Mexico to be enlightening. I'll post an excerpt below the link, but you should read the whole thing before seriously considering a trip across the border.

MIG: Mexico Travel Alert (http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html - broken link)

Quote:
Violent criminal activity fueled by a war between criminal organizations struggling for control of the lucrative narcotics trade continues along the U.S.-Mexico border. Attacks are aimed primarily at members of drug trafficking organizations, Mexican police forces, criminal justice officials, and journalists. However, foreign visitors and residents, including Americans, have been among the victims of homicides and kidnappings in the border region.

Unread 06-22-2008, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 16,616 times
I wouldnt take my little 4 year old across the border for any reason....if anything just because....however, I generally cross the border a few times during the year. My favorite bordertown would probably have to be Ciudad Acuna, across the border from Del Rio. The majority of the town close to the bridge is predominantly pharmacies, podiatrists, dentists, plastic surgeons, etc. that cater to senior citizens here in TX. It is not uncommon at all to literally see buses of old people scattered out from Granbury, Brady, Abilene, or Brownwood getting off in Acuna to have some dental work done or something else. Hwy 277 going into Acuna is not a major North - South corridor, so drug trafficking, although Im sure it exists there, isnt as prevalent as Matamoros, Laredo, or El Paso. Acuna is actually a neat little place as far as border towns go.

Unread 06-22-2008, 08:59 PM

2,207 posts, read 5,970,111 times
How old are your children?

Progresso is the safest and the most easily do-able. It's just one street of shopping and restaurants. They should go early enough to beat the heat and the crowds. It's easy to cross the border by car or on foot. Your kids WILL need a birth certificate or passport to get back to the US side of the bridge. I love Progresso and go every time I visit the valley.

Unread 06-22-2008, 09:49 PM

68 posts, read 152,296 times
I'd be hesitant to have them going to Mexico with out you with them.

Unread 06-23-2008, 07:29 AM

3,494 posts, read 8,889,645 times
traveling to most of the border towns in Mexico is restricted, off limits to active duty soldiers here....so if the US Army is going to make that kind of restriction, i would heed that warning too even though i'm not active duty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas