Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:15 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,341,199 times

Advertisements

Abilene or Wichita Falls areas...Abilene has Dyess AFB and Wichita Falls has Sheppard AFB and that would be important in that yall could take advantage of medical care under TriCare, and along with taxfree shopping at PX/Commissary etc and all the other benefits of a military retiree.
of course, even though I am from North Texas, my first choice is Central Texas-around Ft Hood. i am even happier here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgradeteecher View Post
My husband and i are also relocating to Tesas. I will be looking for a teaching (elementary) position. He is a handyman/car mechanic -retiring from military before we move. My question is, does anyone have any recommendations on where to look in north texas for teaching jobs?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:06 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,582,446 times
West Texas less humidity, I believe Amarillo has the coolest weather and gets snow at least once a year, D/Fw pretty good, but they do get heat waves, everything else gets hit by floods, hurricanes, or lots of humidity, too much sticky weather.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:44 AM

25 posts, read 57,130 times
Hope to read more thoughts from y'all Texas residents ... as I am thinking of moving to Texas near Amarillo, maybe Pampa ... considering that there can be tornadoes in your neck of the woods and oh, those dang amardillos (scarey ! ) ... I thought I'd ask for input, feedback and some sound Texan wisdom, including finding a proper straw hat . I'd like "fit" in when I get to town.

Houses in Pampa for sale do go fast it seems. I need info on neighborhoods in Pampa as it's not always about price but location. For example, is N. Dwight street an ok area ? Lamar and Wilson refers to schools ? As long as I am fairly close to Amarillo I'd be happy.

You might ask what this ol' Yankee is attracted to in Texas ? Well, this may sound dumb but I could visit Palo Duro at least once a week and still not be satisfied. I am a graphic artist by trade and I was immediately inspired upon my first visit last November. Attached is one of my photos. I like your history, your museums and most importantly the folks; you are at least a tad more friendly than up here in Philadelphia The older I get the friendlier I need.

But finding the right small town and the right home is the first step.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,341,199 times
armadillo's aint skeery...what's skeery is snakes. ugh. if it weren't for them, Texas would be total paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper_D_Robb View Post
Hope to read more thoughts from y'all Texas residents ... as I am thinking of moving to Texas near Amarillo, maybe Pampa ... considering that there can be tornadoes in your neck of the woods and oh, those dang amardillos (scarey ! ) ... I thought I'd ask for input, feedback and some sound Texan wisdom, including finding a proper straw hat . I'd like "fit" in when I get to town.

Houses in Pampa for sale do go fast it seems. I need info on neighborhoods in Pampa as it's not always about price but location. For example, is N. Dwight street an ok area ? Lamar and Wilson refers to schools ? As long as I am fairly close to Amarillo I'd be happy.

You might ask what this ol' Yankee is attracted to in Texas ? Well, this may sound dumb but I could visit Palo Duro at least once a week and still not be satisfied. I am a graphic artist by trade and I was immediately inspired upon my first visit last November. Attached is one of my photos. I like your history, your museums and most importantly the folks; you are at least a tad more friendly than up here in Philadelphia The older I get the friendlier I need.

But finding the right small town and the right home is the first step.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times
I doubt a tornado could lift an armadillo!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,786,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimama View Post
I have only lived in California and I am not used to lots of rain, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. What are some areas that have the least natural disasters? Also, areas without too many bugs? We want to be in an area with good schools, low crime, and friendly people with a good sense of community. Am I asking too much?
Well, the Houston metro area might be hurricane territory but if you live a bit inland from the Gulf, the risk is lower. I'm a native Californian but I love living in Sugar Land, Texas (a suburb of Houston). The schools are excellent, crime is low, people are super friendly, and there is a great sense of community in many of the neighborhoods (First Colony and New Territory being two of them).

Check it out! City of Sugar Land

Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,806,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
armadillo's aint skeery...what's skeery is snakes. ugh. if it weren't for them, Texas would be total paradise.
Oh lordy. We'd be overrun with vermin such as rats and mice if it were not for snakes!!!

Ewwwwww. Non-poisonous snakes eat vermin, too, so....

Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM

996 posts, read 2,443,573 times
The original poster listed their location as Northern California. I wonder where in Northern California they are living where they are not used to a lot of rain. I lived in the Bay Area and in 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 it was raining heavily 5-6 days a week from around October to April. Further north and the weather starts to resemble Portland & Seattle more (and their reputations for rains should be easy to look up). The closest I was ever to a tornado was in Silicon Valley (note I'm living in Oklahoma City now).

Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,238,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
The original poster listed their location as Northern California. I wonder where in Northern California they are living where they are not used to a lot of rain. I lived in the Bay Area and in 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 it was raining heavily 5-6 days a week from around October to April. Further north and the weather starts to resemble Portland & Seattle more (and their reputations for rains should be easy to look up). The closest I was ever to a tornado was in Silicon Valley (note I'm living in Oklahoma City now).
I believe Sacramento is considered northern CA. Maybe that's where he lives. Northern CA covers a vast area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas