U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,235,009 times

Advertisements

[quote=Canine*Castle;4297164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Wow! I still can't fathom 140-deg. And I wonder why that other link I posted didn't mention it when I Googled "hottest temperature on earth". It mentioned Libya @ 136 deg. and Death Valley, CA @ 134 deg. I still wonder how accurate that town's thermometer was when they claim to have registered 140 deg.

The explanation lies in another article I found and it reads as such:

All of the above reports exceed the highest temperature recorded on Earth, generally accepted as the Death Valley, California report of 134 F and previously the Libya reading of 136 F. These heat bursts are not counted because (thus far) the worst heat bursts have been localized events, falling in-between local weather stations. Hopefully as organizations like WeatherMatrix encourage users to put up their own weather stations, the networks will one day be crowded enough to catch one of these rare events.

I have no doubt the thermometer worked fine. I actually know some people who lived in the area in 1960 and they said it was "something else."

If you'd like to read the entire story about the "not counted" heat bursts, here is the link. I believe the clue to finding out about highest temperatures and heat bursts is do a search on heat bursts. They don't usually show up if one just searches "high temperatures." Maybe another reason they don't list them as record highs is because they're rare. They may be rare, but they are real. I'm glad they're few and far between.

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?blog=weathermatrix&partner=accuweather&p gUrl=/mtweb/content/weathermatrix/archives/2006/09/the_texas_heat_1.asp
Although I did not live in Texas in 1980, I do remember reading the newspaper, and seeing all the heat related injuries/deaths attributed to that fantastically awful time. Not something I want to go through, but it may inevitabally happen again, similar to what happened in the summer of 2000 (Wichita Falls, where I lived at the time, had 72 days of 100 degree plus weather, with several days hitting or going above 110).

To go to Canine's heat burst story, I remember a few years back, in Portugal there as a dying thunderstorm that produced temperatures of up to 157 degrees!!! Talk about deadly heat! I remember back in the late 1990's, up in Fredrick, Oklahoma during a late spring night, a collasping thunderstorm at 3am pushed Fredrick's temperature to 102 degrees!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,038,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeketrevor View Post
I live in California now; I feel like I am surrounded by weather wimps. When it's 80 degrees here, it is supposedly hot (then again we do not have air-con). When it gets down to 35, it's freakishly cold.

When it rains here, we call it a storm. That really cracks me up. When I was a kid in Dallas, storm meant that the sky turned black during the daytime, the clouds would look like they were boiling, the sirens would crank up (that always scared me to death), the trees would bend at 90 degrees, and hail stones the size of quarters would dent everyone's cars. Of course, here we have droughts and have the likelihood of a major earthquake lingering over us).
I must disagree with you about weather wimps. First of all, people tolerate heat and cold differently. I wonder if a poll were taken how many Texans have been using their A/C now for months? I know my family and neighbors have been. When it's 72 degrees outside, they're wasting energy. Is that a Texas wimp? It must be if we're going by your criteria of a wimp.

In Texas, we're having tropical weather right now, dew points above 70 and the air so thick with moisture, one can see about as far as one can in southern CA when it's smoggy. I'm a Californian who hasn't turned on her A/C yet. Hot and muggy, you bet it is. Do I like it? No, I don't but I'm not about to turn on the A/C yet and then have it running until late October. I will be a bit uncomfortable but face it, the really hot weather is coming soon. This is mild now.

The coldness is the same thing. I love it cold, leave my heater off most of the winter while the natives or whatever they want to be referred to are fussing about the cold and blast their heaters so high I can't stand it in most buildings or in their homes. I have to "flee the scene."

I lived in CA for nearly 30 years and never once called rain a storm. I didn't know what a storm was until I moved here. Having experienced storms and one big earthquake, I will take the quake any day over these crazy storms in Texas.

One thing I do like is that TX gets much more rain than southern CA. The sad part is we get it all at once and then Texas is bone dry most of the summer and other months with everything dead and ugly.

Back to the wimps....If a wimp is a hot or cold hater, then we've got a lot of them living in this state, those that should have acclimated to the weather by now since they were "born and bred" here. I think it's the central heat and air that make them happy and able to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas