U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Texas
5,296 posts, read 12,476,885 times
Reputation: 2756

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Is it too early to hope that 2009 will have a 2007 summer?
I'm with you. How about every summer forever and always?

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 08-03-2008 at 09:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 PM
 
Location: TX
5,412 posts, read 15,078,301 times
Reputation: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm with you. How about every summer forever and always.
I'm all for that, but let's at least keep the weekends rain-free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Texas
5,296 posts, read 12,476,885 times
Reputation: 2756
I knew I read this some place before and just found it as a link on another forum. Anyway, someone on the Texas forum said cold-related deaths were more prevalent in this country and I knew they weren't, but I couldn't find the information to back it up. Here it is.

Deadliest Weather Hazards - FOX Weather Community Local Expert Bloggers: Weather News Blogs (http://weather.fox.com/Community/Blogs/nickborelli/2008/5/28/Deadliest_Weather_Hazards - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 PM
 
Location: TX
5,412 posts, read 15,078,301 times
Reputation: 1723
^ Interesting link. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 23,521,428 times
Reputation: 5165
beowulf7: I wouldn't mind at all if it rained on the weekends. Anything to cool it down and give hope to my straw-like yard!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,864 posts, read 39,816,704 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I knew I read this some place before and just found it as a link on another forum. Anyway, someone on the Texas forum said cold-related deaths were more prevalent in this country and I knew they weren't, but I couldn't find the information to back it up. Here it is.

Deadliest Weather Hazards - FOX Weather Community Local Expert Bloggers: Weather News Blogs (http://weather.fox.com/Community/Blogs/nickborelli/2008/5/28/Deadliest_Weather_Hazards - broken link)
I'm wondering if they are even counting deaths caused by severe ice storms or severe winter weather that happened in things such as traffic accidents. We always see these HUGE multi-vehicle accidents that happen in the Northeast and states that receive such winter weather. Always someone died due to the accident that was caused by the weather. So a perfectly healthy person is involved in such an accident and perishes. Whereas w/ heat related deaths someone in their 80's or 90's with bad health, heart problems, etc succombs to death and in part it had to do w/ their health just as much as it did the weather. Yet is is ALWAYS counted as a "heat related death".

Same for deaths due to avalanches. Are those counted as deaths due to "weather related"? I would think so. If your going to count every 95 year old that dies of a heart attack that had a known heart condition and he passed away on a 100+ day.......... then they need to count those deaths caused by traffic accidents due to bad winter weather and avalanches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in Texas
5,296 posts, read 12,476,885 times
Reputation: 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm wondering if they are even counting deaths caused by severe ice storms or severe winter weather that happened in things such as traffic accidents. We always see these HUGE multi-vehicle accidents that happen in the Northeast and states that receive such winter weather. Always someone died due to the accident that was caused by the weather. So a perfectly healthy person is involved in such an accident and perishes. Whereas w/ heat related deaths someone in their 80's or 90's with bad health, heart problems, etc succombs to death and in part it had to do w/ their health just as much as it did the weather. Yet is is ALWAYS counted as a "heat related death".

Same for deaths due to avalanches. Are those counted as deaths due to "weather related"? I would think so. If your going to count every 95 year old that dies of a heart attack that had a known heart condition and he passed away on a 100+ day.......... then they need to count those deaths caused by traffic accidents due to bad winter weather and avalanches.
It's not only the elderly that die in the heat or the cold for that matter. Many times, we'll hear of a teen dying on the sports field because of a heat stroke.

I see your point because if children left in cars are part of the statistics of heat-related deaths which, in most cases constitutes an accident, then avalanches and skiding on ice should count too, accidents as well. Well, avalances are sort of an accident as are fires which happen in the winter and in the summer.

We need to add drownings to the statistics as well because if it weren't so hot, maybe people wouldn't have the need to be near water and little children and others wouldn't be statistics. 4,000 people drown yearly in this country. Obviously, none of them were counted in the article. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to do with heat because people are in the water all year long in some places of the country. If one wants to get technical, both hot and cold cover a wide variety of scenarios.

I still think the heat-related deaths will overtake the cold no matter how they're counted. Think of all those that work outside, all the crop workers and the like. There are many of them that die in the heat.

It really doesn't matter. I know I am healthy but when I'm stupid, I could very well drop dead in the heat because I try to do too much. I don't think I'd drop dead in the cold unless I were lost in the wilderness and froze to death.

Even people without heat can build a fire and stay warm. I guess though too a person without A/C can say in a bathtub all day.

Who knows for sure really? Probably not a soul.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:11 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,864 posts, read 39,816,704 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
It's not only the elderly that die in the heat or the cold for that matter. Many times, we'll hear of a teen dying on the sports field because of a heat stroke.

I see your point because if children left in cars are part of the statistics of heat-related deaths which, in most cases constitutes an accident, then avalanches and skiding on ice should count too, accidents as well. Well, avalances are sort of an accident as are fires which happen in the winter and in the summer.

We need to add drownings to the statistics as well because if it weren't so hot, maybe people wouldn't have the need to be near water and little children and others wouldn't be statistics. 4,000 people drown yearly in this country. Obviously, none of them were counted in the article. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to do with heat because people are in the water all year long in some places of the country. If one wants to get technical, both hot and cold cover a wide variety of scenarios.

I still think the heat-related deaths will overtake the cold no matter how they're counted. Think of all those that work outside, all the crop workers and the like. There are many of them that die in the heat.

It really doesn't matter. I know I am healthy but when I'm stupid, I could very well drop dead in the heat because I try to do too much. I don't think I'd drop dead in the cold unless I were lost in the wilderness and froze to death.

Even people without heat can build a fire and stay warm. I guess though too a person without A/C can say in a bathtub all day.

Who knows for sure really? Probably not a soul.
No, a person that is cold can not always build a fire to stay warm. Then we would have HUGE fires of devastiting proportions from people in apartment buildings and houses that have no heat being burnt down. There are also 100's of people that die every year from propane heaters malfunctioning, fires left going on stovetops for those that are trying to keep warm, etc. There are MANY scenario's that play out in cold weather that relate to many deaths. That is my point. All I'm saying is that we have to be fair across the board (not stupid and try to say drownings only happen because people were trying to keep cool) and in MOST cases MANY deaths that can be directly related to cold are not counted as weather related. But let some 90-something year old in poor health fall over from a heart attack and if the temp that day was in the 90's all of a sudden it is "heat related". Who is to say that same person would not have fallen over dead of a heart attack in 30 degree weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in Texas
5,296 posts, read 12,476,885 times
Reputation: 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm wondering if they are even counting deaths caused by severe ice storms or severe winter weather that happened in things such as traffic accidents. We always see these HUGE multi-vehicle accidents that happen in the Northeast and states that receive such winter weather. Always someone died due to the accident that was caused by the weather. So a perfectly healthy person is involved in such an accident and perishes. Whereas w/ heat related deaths someone in their 80's or 90's with bad health, heart problems, etc succombs to death and in part it had to do w/ their health just as much as it did the weather. Yet is is ALWAYS counted as a "heat related death".

Same for deaths due to avalanches. Are those counted as deaths due to "weather related"? I would think so. If your going to count every 95 year old that dies of a heart attack that had a known heart condition and he passed away on a 100+ day.......... then they need to count those deaths caused by traffic accidents due to bad winter weather and avalanches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No, a person that is cold can not always build a fire to stay warm. Then we would have HUGE fires of devastiting proportions from people in apartment buildings and houses that have no heat being burnt down. There are also 100's of people that die every year from propane heaters malfunctioning, fires left going on stovetops for those that are trying to keep warm, etc. There are MANY scenario's that play out in cold weather that relate to many deaths. That is my point. All I'm saying is that we have to be fair across the board (not stupid and try to say drownings only happen because people were trying to keep cool) and in MOST cases MANY deaths that can be directly related to cold are not counted as weather related. But let some 90-something year old in poor health fall over from a heart attack and if the temp that day was in the 90's all of a sudden it is "heat related". Who is to say that same person would not have fallen over dead of a heart attack in 30 degree weather.
I'm not talking about building a fire inside a building if that's what you mean. I'm not talking about the 90 year olds. I was talking about how the heat and the COLD can kill people. I think I was pretty clear about that in my post comparing the two. I also stated that of the 4,000 people who drown, they all don't drown in the HOT weather.

I also said no one knows for sure and probably never will which is truly worse even though any statistics will tell you it's the heat. My opinion is the heat when it comes to deaths, but if you think it's the cold, that's your opinion.

Oh, and with the scenarios I gave, I believe I was trying to be "fair across the board" as well. I don't think you really read my post very well, but that's okay. Good grief, I even said, "I see your point."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,972 times
Reputation: 10
I had the best job in the metroplex that summer. I worked in a liquor store and my job was keeping the walk-in beer cooler stocked. I spent that summer working in gloves and a jacket! But, it was so hot that we had trouble keeping the cooler under 60 degrees. We'd get beer from the refrigerated Coors truck, put it in our cooler, and it was warm enough that the cans and bottles would start to sweat from the warmer air. Most beer came to us warm, like Bud and Miller products, and they never got cold.

That was also the year Mt. St. Helens erupted. Lots of hot and very red sunsets that summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top