Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I guess though too a person without A/C can say in a bathtub all day.

Who knows for sure really? Probably not a soul.

I know I am the first in my family to live a lifetime (I'm not that old!) with AC in Texas. They did it, so I am sure I could if had to. (we used to sleep on a screened - in porch at the lake in the summer).

I seriously doubt they lounged in a bath tub all day. I'm not sure some of them had anything more than a washtub!

I went grades 1-6 without AC and we didn't die at our desks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,272,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I know I am the first in my family to live a lifetime (I'm not that old!) with AC in Texas. They did it, so I am sure I could if had to. (we used to sleep on a screened - in porch at the lake in the summer).

I seriously doubt they lounged in a bath tub all day. I'm not sure some of them had anything more than a washtub!

I went grades 1-6 without AC and we didn't die at our desks.
What you posted has nothing to do with what I posted. We were comparing hot and cold. I'm glad you had most of the summer off from school so it wasn't any hotter than I'm sure it was back then.

The bathtub comment was a bit of an exaggeration just like staying in front of a fire all day would be for someone who has no heat.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:23 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
beowulf7: I wouldn't mind at all if it rained on the weekends. Anything to cool it down and give hope to my straw-like yard!
I hear you. My grass did a good job of fighting the heat for the most part in July, but now are starting to wither and seem to want to throw in the white towel and beg for mercy.

The key is to keep the grass long to help protect the roots. One of my neighbors likes to keep his lawn very short and now his front yard looks rather bad. I warned him before and now feel like telling him "I told you so."

Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Well I will use any excuse to avoid mowing. For some reason it just doesn't seem as 'theraputic' as it once did.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well I will use any excuse to avoid mowing. For some reason it just doesn't seem as 'theraputic' as it once did.
It isn't easy in the heat and definitely not therapeutic, and I'll be turning 60 this year. I don't know for how many more years I can keep it up, but I'm sure going to try for as long as I possibly can. I do it better than anyone I would hire. They're too sloppy in my "neck of the woods."

Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM

869 posts, read 2,953,701 times
Only 90 degrees at 2 in the afternoon...

I'm gonna have to break out my coat while mowing the grass!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:26 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
Only 90 degrees at 2 in the afternoon...

I'm gonna have to break out my coat while mowing the grass!

LOL!!!! Last night after walking out from eating dinner I got a darn chill. I don't think it was the margarita but it was darn chilly last night. Sittin on the back porch at friends "out in the country" up the road from us it was down right cool.

According to wfaa's weatherbug right by me it is 89 degrees, 46% humidity and 5mph winds. Brrrrrrrr
~~~~~~~now I know why the kids had their gloves out earlier~~~~~~

Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!!! Last night after walking out from eating dinner I got a darn chill. I don't think it was the margarita but it was darn chilly last night. Sittin on the back porch at friends "out in the country" up the road from us it was down right cool.

According to wfaa's weatherbug right by me it is 89 degrees, 46% humidity and 5mph winds. Brrrrrrrr

If you were chilly last night, you definitely prefer HOT weather over cold. There is no argument about that. I believe you, but it's almost unbelievable.

It's kind of like me who hates the hot weather but when the A/C is turned down to gosh only knows what at work, I have to go outside for a few mintues in the heat to thaw out.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 08-06-2008 at 06:31 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

89 degrees.....brrrr..?

Boy, are you ever cold-natured, LOL!!!

I was at an outdoor concert a couple of weeks ago in a cap-sleeved t-shirt...and it was about 65-70 degrees here in NM!! It was 9:30pm... I was perfectly comfortable, while someone else in the group had to go get a light jacket, LOL!!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,184 times
Wow, it was actually below 100 deg. for a change on Wed. Thank you, TS Eddie! But shame on you for not bringing any rain to the D/FW area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas