U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM

5,031 posts, read 7,722,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Wow, it was actually below 100 deg. for a change on Wed. Thank you, TS Eddie! But shame on you for not bringing any rain to the D/FW area.
We got a little where I live in central Texas, but it definitely was not enough. It is nice for it to be a little cooler, but it's still too hot with weeks and weeks to go before Autumn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 AM

5,413 posts, read 10,385,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
We got a little where I live in central Texas, but it definitely was not enough. It is nice for it to be a little cooler, but it's still too hot with weeks and weeks to go before Autumn.
Cool! A friend in Austin said they got some rain from both Dolly and Eddie. I can't wait, either, until it's mid-Sept. and we drop below 100 and even can be in the 80s. My grass is browning and I don't want to waste $ on watering it more.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,122,821 times
Quote:
Wow! I still can't fathom 140-deg. And I wonder why that other link I posted didn't mention it when I Googled "hottest temperature on earth". It mentioned Libya @ 136 deg. and Death Valley, CA @ 134 deg. I still wonder how accurate that town's thermometer was when they claim to have registered 140 deg.

That's good to know. So if the power being drawn meets a certain condition, they'll flicker us a bit to save on the power. Sounds fine and dandy, esp. since I have a couple UPSs.
Actually, the hottest "heat burst" that I have read about happened in Israel, when they had one that made the temperature jump to 156 degrees. Most heat bursts are caused from thunderstorms dying (basically the cloud top collapses, causing all that hot air that rose through the day to come rushing out). I live in Wichita Falls, Texas, and I have seen temps jump to over 100 degrees at 3am due to heat bursts!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:51 AM

I never heard of, much less experience, heat bursts, until this thread.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 AM

36,032 posts, read 18,760,275 times
Can you believe that that summer was 28 years ago?? Wow! And to think we almost had a run at that record this year.....

Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I never heard of, much less experience, heat bursts, until this thread.
Yeah, heat bursts usually only last a few minutes, and are not considered a "true" temperature, based on how it happenend. The "true" standing hot temperature in the world happened in Libya, where the standing temperature in the shade was 136 degrees.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Can you believe that that summer was 28 years ago?? Wow! And to think we almost had a run at that record this year.....
I have only been in Wichita Falls now for 15 years, and the summer of 2000 was the worst one for me. I worked as a concrete mixer driver, my truck did not have any A/C. That summer, Wichita Falls would see no less than 72 days of 100 degrees or higher temperatures. Starting in May of 2000, Wichita Falls rose to 110 degrees twice, had more than 30 days of temps at or over 105 degrees. On Labor Day, Wichita Falls saw 111 degrees. The final spate of this heat would occur in October, with two days hitting 102 degrees. Now THAT was a summer!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Thank goodness for those hurricanes that came TX that cooled things down for the state starting in Aug. I realize the folks in Galveston aren't happy about it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Yeah, heat bursts usually only last a few minutes, and are not considered a "true" temperature, based on how it happenend. The "true" standing hot temperature in the world happened in Libya, where the standing temperature in the shade was 136 degrees.
I see; I guess since the heat burst is so temporary, it doesn't count toward the official record.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:54 PM

36,032 posts, read 18,760,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I have only been in Wichita Falls now for 15 years, and the summer of 2000 was the worst one for me. I worked as a concrete mixer driver, my truck did not have any A/C. That summer, Wichita Falls would see no less than 72 days of 100 degrees or higher temperatures. Starting in May of 2000, Wichita Falls rose to 110 degrees twice, had more than 30 days of temps at or over 105 degrees. On Labor Day, Wichita Falls saw 111 degrees. The final spate of this heat would occur in October, with two days hitting 102 degrees. Now THAT was a summer!!!
It's strange how that part of the state tends to be hotter than D/FW. I'm not really sure why that is, though.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
Default I was there

Remember it well; I was 13 years old. I recall being mildly intrigued as going outside was like stepping in a furnace. Of course, we were lucky and had ferocious air-con. Others were not so lucky. My brother was a driver for an ambulance company specializing in moving deceased to morgues. He was very busy - as many as 10 one day.

We had a swimming pool and had to forego using it because it got so hot. We didn't dump ice in it, but one of our neighbors put big blocks of ice in their pool, so we hung out at their place in the evenings and swam. Funny that a few years later, during the cold spell others have mentioned, we put a table on our frozen pool and played Monopoly.

One of the oddest memories of the heat wave was that Wichita Falls had a *low* temperature of 97F the night between the two hottest days. I think in Dallas we "cooled down" into the upper 80's before it started firing right back up.

Outside of those 2 days, we went outside and played as usual. Yes, we got hot, and burned our feet on the asphalt streets, but we didn't think that was a big deal. Dallas was always hot in the summers. I also recall what a significant news event it was, the day in August when the temperature did not get above 100.

I live in California now; I feel like I am surrounded by weather wimps. When it's 80 degrees here, it is supposedly hot (then again we do not have air-con). When it gets down to 35, it's freakishly cold.

When it rains here, we call it a storm. That really cracks me up. When I was a kid in Dallas, storm meant that the sky turned black during the daytime, the clouds would look like they were boiling, the sirens would crank up (that always scared me to death), the trees would bend at 90 degrees, and hail stones the size of quarters would dent everyone's cars. Of course, here we have droughts and have the likelihood of a major earthquake lingering over us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas